DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· DBSTalk Club Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted another thread asking about the ERP_59_T1. It turns out D* sent me a R15-300. My HDTiVo unit was fried.

The first rep assured me it was a HD DVR unit. Then when I called back the next day, the second rep "verified" a HD DVR unit was on its way to me.

Today the unit arrived and it was the R15-300.

The rep I spoke with today said that they would gladly send me a HD DVR unit for an additional $199. She apologized that I was told incorrectly, but there was nothing she could do. She did offer me a $20 credit for my inconvenience.

I was super nice to everyone I spoke with (I run a company that has it's own call center so I know how thing can be). I have been with D* 11 years and NFL ST, MLB EI, and NBA package for several years. It is very frustrating that D* will treat customers this way. I know people make mistakes, but she said I would have to pay to send it back if I didn't want it and if I kept it, my contract would be extended by 2 years from today. Why should I pay for their mistakes? :confused:

What is a person to do? :confused:

· Registered
15,592 Posts
Call them back, say cancel service when you're prompted for what you want, this gets you to customer retention. These folks have more on the ball and have more leway in what they can and can't do. Hopefully they can get things resolved for you.

· Registered
24,395 Posts
GreatPig said:
I posted another thread asking about the ERP_59_T1. It turns out D* sent me a R15-300. My HDTiVo unit was fried.

The first rep assured me it was a HD DVR unit. Then when I called back the next day, the second rep "verified" a HD DVR unit was on its way to me.

Today the unit arrived and it was the R15-300.

The rep I spoke with today said that they would gladly send me a HD DVR unit for an additional $199. She apologized that I was told incorrectly, but there was nothing she could do. She did offer me a $20 credit for my inconvenience.

I was super nice to everyone I spoke with (I run a company that has it's own call center so I know how thing can be). I have been with D* 11 years and NFL ST, MLB EI, and NBA package for several years. It is very frustrating that D* will treat customers this way. I know people make mistakes, but she said I would have to pay to send it back if I didn't want it and if I kept it, my contract would be extended by 2 years from today. Why should I pay for their mistakes? :confused:

What is a person to do? :confused:
Thats just BS if you asked for an HD DVR, they should pay to switch it to the HD DVR... and unless you have gotten the same HR10-250 "upgraded" with other HD DVR's I'm surprised they didn't upgrade you to it for $20 shipping and handling only... and not 199.99

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
This was a replacement for a fried HR10-250, correct? Do you have the Protection Plan? Was this a leased receiver, or an owned one?

If you owned this DVR and you do not have the protection plan, a replacement - even for a defective unit - usually comes with some cost ($199 or $99 if they'll discount it for a new HD DVR). Replacing a defective leased receiver, or a defective owned receiver under the Protection Plan shouldn't (maybe $19.95 shipping in the 'leased' scenario). In either case, replacing a defective HD DVR should mean it being replaced with an HD DVR - maybe a refurb, but not an SD DVR.

Did the R15 get installed and activated? I think that makes the situation a bit dicier, but it's still not something you should have to just 'live with or pay up'.

I would do as RAD mentioned and get a hold of Retention and see what they can do for you.

· DBSTalk Club Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update to my issue: I got some mumbo jumbo from D* that since they don't do TiVo anymore, the R15 was a comparable unit, regardless of whether my TiVo unit was HD capable or not. They said they do not have any 'specials' right now that would allow me to get an HD DVR for anything less than $199 (my average monthly bill is over half that because of the sport packages).

My old unit was not leased, it was purchased. I tired putting a new hard drive in it, but apparently issues with it are not (only) hard drive related.

D* has worn me down. I give up. As long as they are the only source of NFL Sunday Ticket, I'm not going anywhere.

I have always been courteous, nice and professional to their reps during my 11+ years as a customer. The very few times I have called I have never demanded anything (except about two years ago when a 'supervisor' cursed at me and hung up on me - I called back and demanded that they review recordings, if they existed, to verify I had been lied to and mistreated - they later admitted they were wrong).

I am a broken man.

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
Since it was an owned unit, it comes down to whether you have the Protection Plan or not. If I can read into your posts, it looks like you do not. In that case DirecTV has no obligation to replace your fried HD TiVo with an HD DVR (or any DVR for that matter).

Have you spoken to Retention, or have you just been dealing with first tier CSRs? Also, has the R15 been activated on your account?

I would call and try to talk to Retention. Do not mention that you are thinking of cancelling service if you are not. Just clearly state your case that you had called to get a replacement for your dead HR10-250 and that the replacement they sent was not an HD DVR, but a Standard Def R15. See if there's any chance they could swap the R15 out for an HD DVR, or maybe do that at a discounted $99 or something.

If they do set you up with the HD DVR, one of two things would happen, I think. Either they send an installer out to install it (especially if you don't currently have the compatible MPEG4 HD dish) and the installer would take the R15 - or - you get the HD DVR installed, then call and deactivate the R15, at which point they should send (be sure to ask for it anyway) a 'Recovery Kit' that would allow you to send the R15 back on their dime.

Good luck!

· Hall Of Fame
4,922 Posts
GreatPig said:
Update to my issue: I got some mumbo jumbo from D* that since they don't do TiVo anymore, the R15 was a comparable unit, regardless of whether my TiVo unit was HD capable or not. They said they do not have any 'specials' right now that would allow me to get an HD DVR for anything less than $199 (my average monthly bill is over half that because of the sport packages).

My old unit was not leased, it was purchased. I tired putting a new hard drive in it, but apparently issues with it are not (only) hard drive related.

D* has worn me down. I give up. As long as they are the only source of NFL Sunday Ticket, I'm not going anywhere.

I have always been courteous, nice and professional to their reps during my 11+ years as a customer. The very few times I have called I have never demanded anything (except about two years ago when a 'supervisor' cursed at me and hung up on me - I called back and demanded that they review recordings, if they existed, to verify I had been lied to and mistreated - they later admitted they were wrong).

I am a broken man.
Unfortunately their tactics work on yet another victim. :nono2:

· Hall Of Fame
1,333 Posts
While I understand your frustration, there are some challenges. DirecTV does not replace owned equipment that is not on a protection plan. While $199 is not cheap, it is a lot cheaper than the retail on the HR10-250 when it was available. Since you bought it, it would be just like any other piece of electronics. If your home theater receiver died after a few years, you would not expect its manufacturer to replace it.

Keep in mind that DirecTV has changed their procedures (good for them). If you call and say cancel, they may just cancel you. The idea of going to retention to get a better deal was never something I thought they should allow. So if you say cancel, be prepared to have the service cancelled and pay any termination fees.

· Cool Member
28 Posts
my hr10-250 went out 2 weeks ago. called the normal dtv tel # and was polite and the rep sent me a a hr 20-100s for free. my hr10-250 was bouight and not leased and i did not have a protection plan on that receiver(i do on my leased receivers)

· Hall Of Fame
4,922 Posts
keithmerr said:
my hr10-250 went out 2 weeks ago. called the normal dtv tel # and was polite and the rep sent me a a hr 20-100s for free. my hr10-250 was bouight and not leased and i did not have a protection plan on that receiver(i do on my leased receivers)
Is it possible to have the protection plan on only some equipment? I thought it was all or nothing.

· Hall Of Fame
1,333 Posts
keithmerr said:
I'm glad you got a great deal, Keith. The dealmaking that DirecTV allows takes up a lot of time at the call centers. I have contended that this cost is passed on to customers in the form of higher subscription costs. I am not arguing that we should all pay more. I am arguing that haggling over costs is expensive to DirecTV and to all customers. It might well be less expensive to charge $99 for an HD DVR, but charge everyone the same amount.

· Cool Member
28 Posts
i did not ask for the deal. i had just called to report that it said that my access card was wrong. we troubleshooted for afew minutes(i had already rebooted several different ways before the call) and the rep just said "lets send you a new hddvr) no haggling what so ever.

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
keithmerr said:
my hr10-250 was bouight and not leased and i did not have a protection plan on that receiver(i do on my leased receivers)
Just for clarity's sake, could you explain that? Do you pay $5.99 a month for the protection plan? If so, as has been pointed out, it covers your entire account regardless of owned, leased or whatever.

If you don't pay the $5.99 a month, then the leased receivers would be covered under the 90 day warranty, plus whatever DirecTV chooses to do in standing behind their leased equipment should a problem arise. YMMV.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.