DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Know Nothing
Joined
·
6,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Tonight Show" host Jay Leno is taking a significant reduction in pay and roughly two dozen staffers are being let go as part of a major budget restructuring at the late-night talk show.

Although "The Tonight Show" remains the top-rated late-night program, from a financial standpoint it is only break-even, according to a person familiar with the economics of the show. One reason for that is that the production budget of the show was not reduced when Leno moved back to late night after his ill-fated stint in prime time during the 2009-10 television season.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-lenocuts-20120818,0,1772989.story
 

· Icon
Joined
·
859 Posts
Another who cares story for those of us who live in the real world. Besides, the show never was the same after Kevin Eubanks left and the show moved back to late night. I think that its time has come and gone. It passed its heyday years ago.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,294 Posts
runner861 said:
Another who cares story for those of us who live in the real world. Besides, the show never was the same after Kevin Eubanks left and the show moved back to late night. I think that its time has come and gone. It passed its heyday years ago.
That would explain why "The Tonight Show" remains the top-rated late-night program.

Now if Letterman would go away, I'd be happy.
 

· Difficulty Concen........
Directv, 5 LNB Slimline Dish, HR34-700, HR44-500, C31-700, C41-700, 2 DIRECTV SWM16, 2 Zinwell WB68
Joined
·
7,251 Posts
Sorry to hear Jay has died. He was a very good man even given his lack of entertainment ratings value to the network.
Eat **** John Stewart and David Letterman for your inconsiderate blog posts.

It sucks that this guy is your future and your past
 

· Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery
Joined
·
3,148 Posts
I haven't found anything written by Jon Stewart or Dave Letterman...source?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
15,592 Posts
So Leno agreed to a $10M salary cut to help save jobs, but they still let 20 to 25 people go. How over staffed was his show that they could let that many go? I will say it was nice if it is true that he offered to take a pay cut to help keep his staff. IIRC he also was paying some of his staff out of his own pocket back during the writers strike. Too bad there aren't more bosses around like that that try to give to the workers vs. trying to figure out how to take from them.
 

· Know Nothing
Joined
·
6,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And since he's so wildly overpaid and clearly doesn't need the money, he could easily give up another $10M.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
15,592 Posts
SayWhat? said:
And since he's so wildly overpaid and clearly doesn't need the money, he could easily give up another $10M.
Actually he probably could. I saw in another story that he basically just banks is money from the Tonight Show and lives off the money from his road shows.
 

· Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
Joined
·
15,115 Posts
armophob said:
Sorry to hear Jay has died. He was a very good man even given his lack of entertainment ratings value to the network.
Eat **** John Stewart and David Letterman for your inconsiderate blog posts.
Good heavens has Letterman become a boor. Used to like him on Late, Late or whatever it was called years ago, but he is the most class-less host with experience. (hence leaving out Kimmel and others.)
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
16,178 Posts
RAD said:
Actually he probably could. I saw in another story that he basically just banks is money from the Tonight Show and lives off the money from his road shows.
Pretty much. That has been a philosophy of his for his entire life. He's said that growing up, he worked two jobs, one for spending money and one for saving.

I know he was appreciated in Wilmington when he put on free shows there. The area was hit hard when their biggest employer shut down, and it gave them at least a few hours of humor and escape.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
1,075 Posts
runner861 said:
Another who cares story for those of us who live in the real world. Besides, the show never was the same after Kevin Eubanks left...
The Tonight Show hasn't been the same since Carson left.
 

· Charter Gold Club Member
Joined
·
22,099 Posts
zkc16 said:
The Tonight Show hasn't been the same since Carson left.
:scratch:

Of course it hasn't been the same -- Leno is a different guy. Did you mean that, in your opinion, the 'Tonight Show' hasn't been as good since Carson retired?
 

· Know Nothing
Joined
·
6,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NEW YORK (TheWrap.com) - Jay Leno used his first "Tonight Show" monologue since layoffs at the show to blame NBC and corporate parent Comcast for the job losses.

"Welcome to 'The Tonight Show,' or as Comcast calls us, 'The Expendables,'" he said Monday.

<snip>

"As you may have heard, our parent company has downsized 'The Tonight Show.' And we've consistently been number one in the ratings," Leno continued in the monologue. "And if you know anything about our network, that kind of thing is frowned upon."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...how-layoffsbre87k0up-20120821,0,2371923.story
 

· Icon
Joined
·
859 Posts
zkc16 said:
The Tonight Show hasn't been the same since Carson left.
I agree. Actually, I thought about saying the same thing, but 1992 is a long time ago and I didn't think that many people would remember.

Actually, I don't think that the show has regained the ratings it had prior to the 2010 Conan O'Brien situation, although it still may be number one in its time slot. But in my opinion the show jumped the shark when Kevin Eubanks left.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
623 Posts
Never understood who still watched these shows, seems to me the ratings are so low it would be better to just show reruns after the local news. Not sure if most people don't realize or just don't care that the only reason a celeb does these is for the plug, but the same goes for the TMZ stories/hype those are also for the plugs before a movie, book, tv show or record comes out. Beiber just happens to slap a photog before a tour, Lohan just happens to make a scene in a hotel while filming a new movie, Olivia Munn's phone was "hacked" right before a new show, give me a break. It is the best free publicity they could have and people lap it up.

I might be wrong but I have heard in the "old days" celeb's would actually just show up to a Carson, Paar or Allen show for no reason other than to just be on the show from time to time, I guarantee you that never happens today.
 

· Know Nothing
Joined
·
6,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

· Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
Joined
·
15,115 Posts
Galaxie6411 said:
Never understood who still watched these shows, seems to me the ratings are so low it would be better to just show reruns after the local news. Not sure if most people don't realize or just don't care that the only reason a celeb does these is for the plug, but the same goes for the TMZ stories/hype those are also for the plugs before a movie, book, tv show or record comes out. Beiber just happens to slap a photog before a tour, Lohan just happens to make a scene in a hotel while filming a new movie, Olivia Munn's phone was "hacked" right before a new show, give me a break. It is the best free publicity they could have and people lap it up.

I might be wrong but I have heard in the "old days" celeb's would actually just show up to a Carson, Paar or Allen show for no reason other than to just be on the show from time to time, I guarantee you that never happens today.
Well, I watch Leno every day he's on. Sometimes the next day, always recorded. His opening monologue is almost always well written and deftly presented. I like many of his skits. Very few guests are of interest, and a lot are clearly "suggested" by the network, promoting other NBC network shows in an Oh-so-subtle way..... But it's always recorded, and the FF goes to near the end, where sometimes there's a new standup who's clever and funny.

The days of Carson, Paar and Allen are long gone.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top