DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Godfather
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Torchwood premiere in host city

The premiere of a new sci-fi drama, from the same stable as Dr Who, has taken place in Cardiff.

Torchwood - an anagram of Doctor Who - has been created by writer Russell T Davies and will be broadcast on Sunday.

Set in Cardiff, the series stars John Barrowman as Captain Jack - one of the characters from Doctor Who - and Welsh actress Eve Myles as Gwen Cooper, the 13-part series, to be screened after the 9pm watershed, was aimed at an adult audience.
Sounds real good with the aliens including a cyberman/woman, "psychotic fairies" and a "big, big" monster.

Note Guys! its is an Adult based spin-off. Ofcom the UK's version of the FCC is not as strict on nudity and swearing. Russell T Davies wrote Queer as Folk, so there is a clue.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6063922.stm

Clips:
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds38064.html
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds38065.html

Trailers from You Tube:

·
Godfather
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Torchwood's John Barrowman, talks about the Show

John Barrowman stars as bisexual time-traveller Captain Jack Harkness in the Doctor Who spin-off series, Torchwood. The 39-year-old actor has starred in several Broadway and West End musicals.

Q: You were passed over for the role of Will in the comedy series Will and Grace - how close did you come to getting the part?

A: I was of one of quite a few who got down to the last choices, and I was actually told that I wasn't gay enough - even though Eric McCormack is straight. Go figure! (John Barrowman is Gay)
Full Story:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6069574.stm

·
Hall Of Fame
4,345 Posts
Ok, got my hands on the 2 Torchwood episodes but only had time to watch the first one.

I *like* it :)

Though I can tell it's for a 'later' audience. The language was definitely more coarse than in Dr. Who.

·
Your Neighborhood Liasion
12,527 Posts
I finished getting episode 1 and 2 last night. Haven't had time to watch either one yet, though. Have you guys seen the Torchwood Declassified ep come through yet? I really enjoyed the Doctor Who Confidential eps from S2.

·
Godfather
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My wife hasnt realy had a chance to watch much British TV when visiting the UK, and here she only see's what BBC America and other networks want you to see because of the FCC, she was a little shocked at Torchwood but she loved it.

·
Icon
628 Posts
djlong said:
Ok, got my hands on the 2 Torchwood episodes but only had time to watch the first one.

I *like* it :)

Though I can tell it's for a 'later' audience. The language was definitely more coarse than in Dr. Who.
How are you getting this episodes?

·
Goblin the Pug
4,885 Posts
USENET newsgroups offer up almost every TV show shortly after airing. Its a lifesaver, because I doubt SciFi will pick up Torchwood itself and ever air it unedited.

·
Godfather
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Danny R said:
USENET newsgroups offer up almost every TV show shortly after airing. Its a lifesaver, because I doubt SciFi will pick up Torchwood itself and ever air it unedited.
Sci-Fi have the option on it. and remember Galactica is quite raunchy in places. Also Torchwood is 46 min long on the BBC for US tv it needs to be 44min for ads.

The BBC Worldwide division will want to sell it off so they must already have clean cuts ready for those countries who are namby pamby :) on what can be shown.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,345 Posts
Since the legality of watching the UK episodes in the US before SciFi or BBCA airs them is somewhat questionable, I'd just as soon not go into all the technical details here on this forum. I can explain the somewhat complicated process (made easier with about $50 worth of software but can be done with freebies) in a PM or via email if anyone wants.

·
Your Neighborhood Liasion
12,527 Posts
Spoilers for Epsiode 3 below...

Epsiode 3: The Ghost Machine...it's starting to look like the actors are getting comfortable with the characters. Great chase scenes, especially the sequence running through all of the back yard gardens, which were real, actual back yard gardens from a row of Cardiff houses, according to the Declassified episode. Owen gets a little depth to his character, hysterical watching Captain Jack flirt with Gwen with the guns. And another snippet of info about the changes Jack has gone through being brought back to life by Tardis-embued Rose. He can't be killed, and now he doesn't sleep. No wonder he's got a darker demeanor than he did before dying. I was wondering why he hasn't been the same happy-go-lucky Jack that we came to know.

There is one thing that bugs me a lot, though, about the story. Torchwood in London was a big operation. Lots and lots of people involved on multiple floors in the building, which was built to provide access to the rift. Now, here we are at Torchwood 3 in Cardiff, built over another rift which was emitting enough power to recharge the Tardis, you'll recall, in what appears to be a good sized complex below the fountain, and there's only the 5 of them. Total. No support staff. No technicians. No administrators. Just the 5 of them. That just seems really wrong to me considering the kind of organization they are.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.