One strategy, especially if the new receiver is replacing an older is to take the access card out of the older unit and put it into the new. Sometimes takes a bit of work to marry the card to the new receiver, but worth the time and $20.
And CSR roulette tends to trump everything but persistence.
Definitely a roulette. When I changed the access card from a newer reciever to an older one, the rep did it for me no problems in like 5 minutes. Then when I wanted to add another receiver a couple weeks later, this witch starts asking me questions like I'm being interrogated on why my card and receiver's are mixed up. She tells me I can't be doing this and it's illegal and she has to switch it immediately. The girl was like a terminator, I wanted to whoop her tail. I'm trying to tell this idiot that the previous rep didn't have any problems with it and didn't tell me anything that she was telling me, so it's not my fault. So I got so pissed off with her, I decided to take the access card out the receiver so she couldn't de-activate it then I hung up on her. Put the card back in an hour later and stayed connected. Called again at a later time, different rep and had no problems with her. If you get an ahole, just hang up on the cancer and call again.
A forum community dedicated to digital bit streaming enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about programming, content, and reception, home theaters, displays, models, styles, satellites, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!