DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
G

·
In northern VA, with a Dish 500, all transponders except 4 and 5 are now reading 110 or better. Transponders 9 and 11 are strongest, reading 124. Transponder 4 is reading 101, up 20 points from yesterday. Transponder 5, which now identifies itself as a spotbeam, has varied from 89 to 96 over the past hour or so, currently reading 93.

·
DBSTalk E* Spot Beam Guru
443 Posts
Transponer 5 is now being used for spots. Right now that is the only TP being used. One of the cities in the Carolinas and some of the Phoenix stations have been transfered to spots.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
If anyone in NC and Phoenix would let me know what channels made it to Transponder 5, I would appreciate it. I've updated the lthansponder chart to include known spot info. Here is where the fun begins for me. :)

See ya
Tony

·
Native American Potentate
8,308 Posts
5 is low but still there. Actaully went to 58 on my 3700. 4 is in the 90s.

7=111

9=115

11=104

All this from the reservation right outside DC not far from joblo.

·
443 Posts
Originally posted by TNGTony
If anyone in NC and Phoenix would let me know what channels made it to Transponder 5, I would appreciate it. I've updated the lthansponder chart to include known spot info. Here is where the fun begins for me. :)

See ya
Tony
Tony, here is what is on the TP5 spots as of this morning:

8324-KASW(WB)Phoenix
8325-KUTP(UPN)Phoenix
8326-KAET(PBS)Phoenix
8327-KTVK(ind)Phoenix
8590-KDNL(ABC)St.Louis
8591-KMOV(CBS)St.Louis
8592-KSDK(NBC)St.Louis
8593-KTVI(Fox)St.Louis
8650-WSOC(ABC)Charlotte
8651-WBTV(CBS)Charlotte
8652-WCNC(NBC)Charlotte
8653-WCCB(Fox)Charlotte
8654-WWWB(WB)Charlotte
8655-WJZY(UPN)Charlotte
8657-WAXN(ind)Charlotte

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
Thanks Bryan. I'm updating the list as I type.

Also E*7 is the only bird on up there right now. This is from two contributor and Charlie's statements on today's conference call.

See ya
Tony

·
443 Posts
Just as an aside. Unlike DTV-4S we know where the TPs are and where the beams are and don't need endless signal reports like we did for DTV-4S.

The cities that use TP5 are:

SANF/SAC
PHOE
DAL/HOU/SAN/AUS
STL/CHI/IND/DET
GRE/RAL/CHR/ATL

The only spots that are up and active are:

PHOE
STL/CHI/IND/DET
GRE/RAL/CHR/ATL

So currently if you are not near those 3 beams you aren't going to get TP5. If you are near the other 2 beams they will be turned on at some point.

Please study the spotbeam maps before saying, my TP5 is zero in (insert area here). We already know.

(just trying to cut out the needless bable before it starts).

G

·
Bryan,

First, thanks for all the terrific info! But I’m really curious about your source. Do you have a contact at E*? Otherwise, how can you tell from WV whether spots are active in AZ, AK, CA, etc.?

Second, from your spot and DMA maps, I see no way that Atlanta or Dallas could be considered reasonable candidates for E7 spots. Some NY, LA, Chicago stations might move to spots, but I expect all Atlanta, Dallas, and Denver stations to remain CONUS at least until E8 is operational.

Third, as was suggested in DBSForums, I don’t think we can take maps filed with the FCC as gospel. Specs can change, and the contours are only theoretical ideals, anyway. I, for one, would be very interested in signal readings near or in the predicted spot contours, just to see how well the predictions conform with reality.

·
443 Posts
joblo, I have E* contacts. People that hack have sent reports, along with family and friends from around the counrty sending their reports.

E* is serving Cities and not DMAs and some are going to be in an LIL DMA but not have access to the locals. All atlanta stations may very well stay CONUS as there isn't room for all the cities on the beam and there isn't one for E-8 either. When looking at E-7 we also have to look at E-8 because many beams are duplicated on both sats, but we won't know which cities goto 119 and which stay on 110 for a while yet.

Yes, there may be deviations in the beams as presented on the filings, but we know the general coverage and reports from someone a couple 100 miles from the -5dB contour on the map stating 0 signal strength is moot as we know they are not going to get a signal anyway even if the actual signal moved slightly from what is on the map. Like the report from South Florida reporting 0 on TP5 it is obvious that it was going to 0 as there is no TP5 beam anywhere near that part of Florida. E-7 & E-8 are nothing like DTV-4S and the beams don't overlap like they do on DTV-4S.

·
New Texan
11,467 Posts
Since my 501 was recording Survivor when I got home, I had to do a check on a 301...

Well, still no signal on transponder 5, but I got signal back on transponder 7, but no indication that it was on a spot. Transponders 1,3, and 9 are getting signal. All of the Sacramento locals are still on the Conus/148.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.