DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago I got all 0s on the even transponders on 103c. The tech was out today and said trees were blocking the signal. Replaced the LNB and said that's all he could do. The signal was fine up to a week ago. There are trees but I find it hard to believe that I would lose the signal when there was no problems before. Could anything else be causing the problem? Bad multiswitch or something else?

·
Hall Of Fame
2,345 Posts
I think the tech was pulling your leg. Trees wouldnt block only even transponders.
If its not a bad LNB it could be a short in the cable. How many receivers do you have? If more than 1, do the others have this problem, and have you tried moving them around?

·
Registered
12,591 Posts
Likely causes include:
* Loose or corroded coax connectors (check the connections at the dish and multiswitch)
* Defective multiswitch (try different multiswitch outputs)

Do you have other DirecTV Receivers? Do they all do this?

Trees would not cause this problem.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
What signals do you get on the odd transponders. If they are low also then very very maybe. If they are good then you need to get another tech out.

·
Godfather
417 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
How do 101 & 119 look? How about 110?

If those are fine, then realize that 103 is between 101 and the upper locations. Are there trees kind of in the middle of the direction your dish is pointing?

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. The odd transponders are now in the 70s and 80s, but they were better before the tech moved the dish. I think fine tuning could get them higher again. I'll try swapping the receiver with another one I have to see if that changes anything.

·
Godfather
477 Posts
Years ago, I had an idiot installer put the dish (round, dual lnb) on a 1 ft sq brick slab because he "forgot" his ladder.

The next spring, 1/2 of the tps went out (I don't remember if it was the odd or even, but it was one). When I had a competent person move the dish to the roof, the problem went away.

Therefore, I believe the trees can at least be contributing to the problem.

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
A tree or any other obstruction for that matter will not block just the odd or just the even transponders from a given satellite.

Whoever believes that it can is either:
A) An Idiot
B) Has no idea what they are talking about
C) Both A & B.

This is a connector and/or cabling issue.

·
AllStar
73 Posts
RobertE said:
A tree or any other obstruction for that matter will not block just the odd or just the even transponders from a given satellite.

Whoever believes that it can is either:
A) An Idiot
B) Has no idea what they are talking about
C) Both A & B.

This is a connector and/or cabling issue.
I guess after 10 yrs in the field Im an idiot.

I have seen several times where even transponders were at 25-35 and the odds were gone etc... Once the signal gets low enough even or odds can be zero vs. low.

I dont think ive seen it on the ka band though. on normal programming you have RHSP vs LHSP and the problem I described could and does happen

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
NYCEGUY01 said:

I have seen several times where even transponders were at 25-35 and the odds were gone etc... Once the signal gets low enough even or odds can be zero vs. low.

I dont think ive seen it on the ka band though. on normal programming you have RHSP vs LHSP and the problem I described could and does happen
Sorry if it sounded harsh, but it is what it is.

What your describing is a near total blockage where one polarity is able to lock but not the other. A similar effect can be done with a poorly aligned dish.

On the other hand, with a properly aligned dish (85+ all transponders) you can't block just the even or odd transponder.

I'll go so far as to throw this challenge out there.

$50 to the first person that can:

Take a properly aimed and working AU9 Slimline and block either the odd or even transponders.

The method used must be repeatable and non-invasive. No tampering of the LNB, cabling or voltage is allowed. The only acceptable form of signal blocking is by physical means. No electronic jamming, crazy NSA or Area 51 gear, etc. If you block the even transponders, the odds must stay +/- 5 points same with odd/even.

This must be repeatable by myself and one other person. Who wants to volunteer?

Who want to take my $50?

·
AllStar
73 Posts
When I posted that it was possible but doubtful the op hadnt said what the signal was on the other transponders yet.

S vs. C -- OOPS! lol I knew what I meant. I need to think before I type. Guess hooked on phonics let me down. lol

·
Icon
673 Posts
NYCEGUY01 said:

This usually doesnt happen when signal is high. But when it drops then yes indeed odds and evens show significant discrepancy. And its been confirmed already on this forum. Issue only related to 103c satellite on HD/HD DVRs.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
NYCEGUY01 said:

It is very easy on either of the 5-lnb dishes if it is misaligned to get low signals on one set of transponders and no signals on the other set, with the Ka-lo (DirecTV10....aka 103(c)) signals. Just after DirecTV10 started transmitting, I started a series of posts about this. But I believe there is no way to get one set of transponders at "normal" levels and the other set at zero unless there is a cable/connector/BBC/multiswitch or LNB issue. Certainly NOT tree blockage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.