DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Mentor
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spoke to Robin in Public Relations from Tribune Media today regarding the back and forth between DirecTV and TMS on the OTA issues with a large number of D* subscribers.

There are three issues that I have seen posted here on the OTA problems:

1) Channels are in Guide, Can be tuned through a different tuner (i.e. Direct to TV) but not through the HR20, no signal, 771

2)Channels show signal on HR20 but no Guide Data available

3)Channel tunes briefly and then drops, 771 (although no problem to different tuner)

Since the HR20 does not have the Scan function for OTA, From what I have gathered, Tribune Media provides the guide data and also the channel to frequency mappings. If this data is not there, either Tribune is not sending it correctly or D* is not interpretting it or sending it correctly to the reciever.

The third problem appears to be related to a software issue with the receiver and the built in OTA tuner.

Tribune and D* had a lengthy conference call on this issue yesterday afternoon and both parties apparently believe that D* is the cause of the problem. I was told that they *hope* to have resolution to this issue within 48 hours. They have confirmed everything we already know (i.e. It's isolated to just this one particular D* receiver, the HR20)

So my thoughts are that if you are experiencing issue 1 or 2 above, going through the initial OTA setup and thereby downloading new guide data daily will eventually fix these 771 issues.

If you are experiencing issue #3, I think we are waiting for the next release of HR20 code to address this problem.

The person I spoke to at Tribune was very helpful and assured me that they are very, very aware of the problem and gave me her direct number to contact her back. I will post any further information I receive here.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
You are very much correct.

DirecTV has been working with the Tribune company, to make sure all the data lines up and that it gets fixed.

Some of it will be corrected in updated guide data information, others will probably be part of a future software release.

The thread in the Sticky area that lists the OTA's that are not working correctly, is what the development/analysis teams are using to find the patterns and reported issues, so they can get them corrected.

·
Godfather
343 Posts
Good to know that this IS being worked. Thanks guys!

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
arasner said:
Tribune and D* had a lengthy conference call on this issue yesterday afternoon and both parties apparently believe that D* is the cause of the problem. I was told that they *hope* to have resolution to this issue within 48 hours. They have confirmed everything we already know (i.e. It's isolated to just this one particular D* receiver, the HR20)
Actually, it appears to affect the HR10 as well - we've seen it on several of our personal ones ("we" meaning some of the engineering staff here) as well as one we have at the station.

Ed

·
Legend
219 Posts
edwardewilliams said:
Actually, it appears to affect the HR10 as well - we've seen it on several of our personal ones ("we" meaning some of the engineering staff here) as well as one we have at the station.

Ed
Yes, I would like to echo that it affects the HR10-250 as well. There have already been numerous posts about 11-1 in NYC not tuning on the HR20 in the OTA thread Earl mentions, so I hope a guide update there will fix the issue for both HR10 and HR20 users. An OTA scan does add the station as a duplicate making it viewable, but with no programming data. Pretty useless if you have a season pass for any shows on that channel.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
It's not restricted to the HR20. It affects all of their HD receivers - the HR10-250, H20 and HR20. I should know, I own all three and the problem struck all three within 30 minutes to an hour of each other on 12/19 as they started to update their guide info. OTA worked fine for me on the HR20 from Santa's first visit on 12/13 until whatever changed in the guide data on 12/19. BTW, my H20 was the 1st to be affected, as I double checked reception on my other units prior to trying to troubleshoot the H20 and both were still working. I've called D* about all 3 and they escallated the matter, plus I know others who have done the same, so they know it's not isolated.

Regardless, whenever they fix the guide's mapping data, it should resolve the problem on all 3 units.

Oh, I do appreciate the feedback, thanks and looking forward to corrected OTA mapping guide data.

·
Legend
197 Posts
It also affects my Sony SAT-300HD which has the ability to scan for channels like the HR10-250 with the end result being the same - both channels (the scanned one and the one from the guide data) showing up in On Screen Guide. The channels that it scanned for and found have no guide data - just says "Regular Schedule".

Mike

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
This is all very good information. I'm not sure that DirecTV or TMS is aware that this is affecting more than 1 or 2 receiver models (I wasn't until now). I'll pass the info along to the appropriate persons.

Ed

·
Godfather
343 Posts
I think something is going on because I tried to re-set some of my series links last night, and I didn't have any guide data for more than 24 hours in the future. I would surmise that they are working on the datastream, at least I HOPE so...:hurah:

·
Godfather
308 Posts
The problem seems to extend beyond just locals. Starting Thursday (or earlier, that's when I noticed it), some of my season pass entries disappeared from the HR10-250 to-do list, even though the programs do still appear in the guide. Both locals and nationals are involved.

I tried deleting one of the season passes and re-adding it, but it made no difference. One season pass entry that was still OK on Thursday has now disappeared, and another that was missing has reappeared. Also, wish list searches show no matches even though there are matching entries in the guide.

I looked at the recording history list, and all of the entries that were removed from the to-do list state that the season pass was changed.

Haven't tried to re-add the individual entries manually yet, but will do that today if the problem isn't resolved.

I'm guessing this is related to the same problem. Concur?

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
And my mom is reporting that several of her soaps are not recording cleanly as they used to on her HR10. Several missed days, no pattern that I can tell. These would be on sat. delivered SD versions of her locals.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
RE: The OTA problems with the HR10. They have only appeared in the last week or so. The OTA problems with the HR20 have been there longer then that.

If I had to guess, DirecTV has been working on correcting the guide data/channel mapping to fix the HR20 and perhaps that has messed up something in the HR10 as a side effect.

Just a theory.

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
bonscott87 said:
RE: The OTA problems with the HR10. They have only appeared in the last week or so. The OTA problems with the HR20 have been there longer then that.

If I had to guess, DirecTV has been working on correcting the guide data/channel mapping to fix the HR20 and perhaps that has messed up something in the HR10 as a side effect.

Just a theory.
On both our HR10 and HR20, we had a few days of guide data problems (lost proper channel identification and guide data on a few weather and other subchannels)...however, everything appears to be back to normal on both units.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Another thing to consider is some local stations are still changing subchannel assignments as they understand HD, subchannels, and bit-starving. In doing so, sometimes they have made mistakes that have affected HD receivers (including those used by D* in cases where they don't get a direct fibre feed.)

Cheers,
Tom

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
OK, we now have positive confirmation from viewers here in the Portland area that the fix has been (or is being) made. DirecTV changed something at about 10:30 am pacific time this morning that has fixed the issue and we've confirmed that OTA channel 12.1 is now correctly appearing on receivers in this market.

We assume that whatever the fix was, it will now begin to propigate across the nation in the coming hours and days.

And for those curious - this has been confirmed to be 100% a DirecTV issue with guide data changes. This bears no relationship to the local OTA station's PSIP data - something I wished I'd know a week ago before I spent five straight days analyzing our PSIP looking for non-existent problems... :rolleyes:

Ed

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
bwaldron said:
On both our HR10 and HR20, we had a few days of guide data problems (lost proper channel identification and guide data on a few weather and other subchannels)...however, everything appears to be back to normal on both units.
So you're totally back to normal in Tampa then? If so, this probably means that the fix is being made nationwide this afternoon.

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
edwardewilliams said:
So you're totally back to normal in Tampa then? If so, this probably means that the fix is being made nationwide this afternoon.
Yes. Don't know exactly when it happened...but the channels had switched to incorrect data sometime last week, and when I looked early this afternoon after seeing this thread, they were back to normal.

Example - our local NBC has its HD feed on 8-1 and WeatherPlus on 8-2. Recently 8-2 was showing in the guide as a mirror of 8-1 (which it used to be months ago, as an SD version of 8-1)...it's now back to showing as WeatherPlus.

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
bwaldron said:
Yes. Don't know exactly when it happened...but the channels had switched to incorrect data sometime last week, and when I looked early this afternoon after seeing this thread, they were back to normal.

Example - our local NBC has its HD feed on 8-1 and WeatherPlus on 8-2. Recently 8-2 was showing in the guide as a mirror of 8-1 (which it used to be months ago, as an SD version of 8-1)...it's now back to showing as WeatherPlus.
Cool, then that pretty much confirms Tampa then.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
edwardewilliams said:
Cool, then that pretty much confirms Tampa then.
Here in the Des Moines, IA DMA, there was a change. I now see Ch 8-2, KCCI weather summary. That's totally new as of today.

We are still missing:

13-2 WHO Weather Radar
23-1 KPWG (CW)
56-1 I can't recall it's name/callsign.

This is the first progress I've seen since we got OTA. Thanks for your help!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.