DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this was posted yet, but in case it wasn't, here is a neat trick I discovered this past weekend:

One of the (only) features I missed from Tivo was the abloility to select the different types of grids. That is, the normal 2 hours at a time grid was good for day-to-day purposes, but I liked the other grid, where if you wanted to search what would be playing on a particular channel you could switch to the other mode.

The HR20 also allows you do this:

1. Pull up the normal grid
2. Use the Left Arrow to go all the way to the channel
3. Click on the Info button
4. It will do the 'searching for channels' thing for about 20 seconds, then it will list everything coming up on that channel for the next couple of weeks

This actually works better than the Tivo model, as you don't have to switch the whole grid, and then switch back when you are done.

Like I said, this has prob already been discovered/discussed, but I did a search and could not find it........

·
DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
cajun_fan said:
This actually works better than the Tivo model, as you don't have to switch the whole grid, and then switch back when you are done.
That works well, but it's not a solution for those of us who prefer to leave the guide in the "List" style. For those that prefer the "Grid" style, it's certainly a nicer way to temporarily see a "List"-like style without going into the guide settings.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Godfather
420 Posts
The problem with this method that I have found is that when you actually select a show to record it takes a LONG time to schedule it compared to the near instantaneous time when in the regular guide. Anyone else notice this?

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
iacas said:
That works well, but it's not a solution for those of us who prefer to leave the guide in the "List" style. For those that prefer the "Grid" style, it's certainly a nicer way to temporarily see a "List"-like style without going into the guide settings.

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks. So I can assume that this 'trick' was already discussed/known about? I figured it was, but was so pleased with myself for finding it I wanted to share.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
This trick has been around for a while.

I would also prefer to use a grid only mode.

The other problem is it is hella slow, when ever you hit record it has to get update and the series link (double hit of record) does not update the screen correctly, I reported this months ago, even though the screen does not show it correctly it is creating a series link. The biggest problem is the speed, my 6 year old sat t-60 grid guide blows the doors off the hr20 when it comes to the grid guide.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
wakajawaka said:
The problem with this method that I have found is that when you actually select a show to record it takes a LONG time to schedule it compared to the near instantaneous time when in the regular guide. Anyone else notice this?
Yes, it's very, very slow. It was taking me about a minute earlier this week. I hear 15 seconds is "more normal" but even that is a LOOOOOONG time.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
This is from the HR20 manual on page 18:

Pressing INFO when you've highlighted the channel name displays the channel's listing for up to 14 days.

Click the UNOFFICIAL HR-20 Tips and Tricks to see this and 100 other tips and tricks. 46 of the tips dbstalk has found are not documented.

Take care,

Craig

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.