DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· New Member
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I live in a condo style apartment complex. When I signed the lease I asked about dish installation and the landlord said just not on the roof. Unfortunately I have a deck/patio that would be perfect, except its facing north. I had Directv out 3 times to do a pole mount in the front because the landlord said that was fine, but all 3 times they have forgot to bring a pole.

The last guy said it would be very difficult to do the install and suggested I do a pole mount on the back patio so that it sticks above the roof line. I don't really think that would be stable enough to hold this huge dish.

Here is the north-facing patio.


You can see another dish in the background so mine would obviously be facing the same direction and as you can see on their patio, I would need a pole long enough for the dish to clear the roof, as my place is laid out the same way. I think a pole that long would cause too many problems and am reluctant to let them try it.

So today I noticed that 4 or 5 other units had dishes installed on this location of their units:

That picture of mine which would be perfect as it's facing south with nothing blocking the view. As far as I know that is part of the "roof". The landlord said it can go on the back patio or in the front by the bushes but never mentioned that spot. Why would some people be allowed to install there and not me? Should I go ahead and do it anyway? I've already asked him about dish location a few times and he is not the nicest guy around. He got upset when I told him Directv needed a signed form from him allowing them to work.

Regardless, would that spot work with the 5-LNB?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and sorry for writing a book
 

· Guest
Joined
·
1,481 Posts
Johnnie5000 said:
Go to lowes, buy a 2" diameter by 6' length chain-link fence pole and a two 40lb bags of concrete. Put it in the ground yourself. Then the forgetful techs will just have to put up the dish and run with it.
I doubt you will find 2" poles at any home improvement store, but you will find them at a good fence company.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
144 Posts
A word of advise, mount it on a pole. I know, I would rather have it on the roof. Any competant installer will tell you no, we dont do roof mounts. I have heard it all before, you can seal the lag bolts etc. Trust me, after you pay for a roof you soon learn that ALL dishes installed on ALL ROOFS LEAK. It is just a matter of time, I refrained from doing them that way after I got hit with a roof leak after a tropical storm rocked the dish mounting loose. The best bet is the pole mount option, they NEVER LEAK. A plus is that you can also realign the dish if needed with only pulling out the tennis shoes(they are much easier to carry than a ladder)/:hurah:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,915 Posts
woodybeetle said:
A word of advise, mount it on a pole. I know, I would rather have it on the roof. Any competant installer will tell you no, we dont do roof mounts. I have heard it all before, you can seal the lag bolts etc. Trust me, after you pay for a roof you soon learn that ALL dishes installed on ALL ROOFS LEAK. It is just a matter of time, I refrained from doing them that way after I got hit with a roof leak after a tropical storm rocked the dish mounting loose. The best bet is the pole mount option, they NEVER LEAK. A plus is that you can also realign the dish if needed with only pulling out the tennis shoes(they are much easier to carry than a ladder)/:hurah:
If done carefully and properly you should have no problems with a roof mount though.

A pole mount is easier to maintain, and lower risk, but at the same time roof mounts do work well too and keep the dish out of the reach and range of many lower flying things (kids, dogs, balls, etc.) ;)

Lots of good sealant and care taken during the install should equal a problem free dish. 12 yrs we have had the dish mounted on our roof without one issue (and I can verify that as I can go in my attic and see the underside right under the dish).
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
8,968 Posts
The 2" poles you'll find in most home improvement stores are 2" INNER diameter (ID), with an OUTER diameter (OD) of 2 3/8". That will NOT work, as the Ka/Ku mounting bracket cannot be made to fit that large of a pole.

What you need is 2" OD pole, which are much harder to find. As folks said, a muffler shop will have exactly what you need.
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
499 Posts
IIP said:
The 2" poles you'll find in most home improvement stores are 2" INNER diameter (ID), with an OUTER diameter (OD) of 2 3/8". That will NOT work, as the Ka/Ku mounting bracket cannot be made to fit that large of a pole.

What you need is 2" OD pole, which are much harder to find. As folks said, a muffler shop will have exactly what you need.
Of the two sources, muffler shop and fence company, wouldn't the fence pole be better because it is hot dipped galvanized and would last longer in the ground ?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,063 Posts
2dogz said:
Of the two sources, muffler shop and fence company, wouldn't the fence pole be better because it is hot dipped galvanized and would last longer in the ground ?
Corrosion resistance is very important in an exhaust system. The high temperatures, water vapor (H2O is product of combustion) and acidity of nitrogen compounds mean anything you get from a muffler shop should be well treated for rust resistance.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
233 Posts
IIP said:
The 2" poles you'll find in most home improvement stores are 2" INNER diameter (ID), with an OUTER diameter (OD) of 2 3/8". That will NOT work, as the Ka/Ku mounting bracket cannot be made to fit that large of a pole.

What you need is 2" OD pole, which are much harder to find. As folks said, a muffler shop will have exactly what you need.
thanks for the tip. time to shop around.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top