DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Legend
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just recently received three refurb HR20-100's through the "free 72.5 local swap" and had some questions.

Two of the receivers seem fine, although the one has an annoying clicking sound, but the third has another problem.

Every ten or fifteen minutes I get an error message that says:

"Searching for signal on satellite in 2 (771)".

I've tried several channels and it still happens.

This causes the screen to freeze and then after about two minutes it unfreezes and the show continues.

Here is what I've tried and I wanted to get your thoughts on whether I missed anything before I call the Protection Plan.

I checked the signal strengths and they seemed fine although they probably wouldn't come into play as the other receivers aren't getting this error message. If it was a signal issue wouldn't all receivers get the error message? No snow or ice on dish and no wind lately.

I reset the receiver twice. Didn't help.

I switched the BBC's from one tuner to the other tuner thinking that maybe I would get an error message for the other tuner, but the error message still says the same exact thing.

I took the receiver to another location to where a receiver was working and swapped them out. The error still came up, so it followed the receiver for sure. The other receiver still worked fine also. I didn't remove the BBC's during this swap, only the receivers, so I would guess the BBC's are okay.

Did I narrow it down to a bad receiver or did I miss anything?

Thanks.

· Hall Of Fame
3,585 Posts
I thought the HR20-100s weren't supposed to be used anymore because of power supply problems? Or was that a different model?

· Icon
783 Posts
Beerstalker said:
I thought the HR20-100s weren't supposed to be used anymore because of power supply problems? Or was that a different model?
IIRC it is the D12-500's that have a power supply issue. Please don't be the HR20-100. I have three and thats all I have.:eek2::lol:

· Legend
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a quick update.

I just got off the phone with a rep from DTV and he is sending me out a new box.

He said that they don't usually send a box out when a "Searching for Satellite" message comes up, but since I have already done the trouble shooting, he didn't have a problem with it.

I actually spoke with two other reps before this guy called me and they were all very nice to speak with. In fact, I can't ever remember talking with a DTV rep who wasn't extremely nice. Some were more competent than others , but all were mannerly.

As always, with the Protection Plan, "No Charge"

Don't you just love those two words..............................

· Legend
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another update.

I received the new receiver and activated it and thought all was well. Wrong!

First off, this is another refurb HR20-100S and it makes a lot of noise, in fact the other two HR20-100S also make goofy noises. The one makes an annoying clicking noise every few seconds and my daughter tells me hers makes an echo sounding noise while watching certain shows.

Our beloved Tivo's never had these problems.

Anyhow , back to the newly activated receiver, after I hang up and start checking channels, I find the we have no HD access. So, I call and talk to another rep and he turns the HD access back on. He also notes that we have the "extra pack" HD package.

Again, after hanging up, I'm checking channels and discover that we have no "extra pack" HD package on the newly activated receiver. All three other boxes have it but not the newly activated one.

I am going to call back today to get them to turn this back on.

It shouldn't be this hard. After I call today, it will be my fifth call to them and they called me once, simply to exchange one receiver and activate it.

I almost hate to call as it seems every time I do, something else gets screwed up.

Anyways, as I said, the reps are all very nice but I'm getting tired of calling every other day.

This last receiver also shipped with no BBC's, as did the original three I received, but in this case I already had them so not a problem.

I also am not happy with the noisy boxes, but I guess that's life.

Thanks for letting me vent...........................

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.