DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - EMT here. I was the one who posted earlier about having the R15-100, apparently manufactured by RCA, firmware version 0x1022.

I need some help. My SL's are just often "not recording" at all. For example last night "My Name is Earl", "The Office", "CSI", and "ER" all did not record. I can't figure out why. The DVR *is* recording some shows, but there seems to be no identifiable pattern to determine which shows it will record and which it will miss. I have a total of 27 SL's. The "to-do" list is about 49 items - with many missing entries of shows it should be recording.

I am not trying to be overly critical of this unit (I have seen a lot of negative posts here) - but my short term experience is that I can't depend on it to record anything consistently. I can live with the first run bug for now, but I need it to at least record the shows I asked it to. I have experienced problems with DTivo's in the past - but they are few and far between.

Is there something I can do to troubleshoot the problem or is this just the "way it is"??

·
Hall Of Fame
2,777 Posts
EMT said:
Hi all - EMT here. I was the one who posted earlier about having the R15-100, apparently manufactured by RCA, firmware version 0x1022.

I need some help. My SL's are just often "not recording" at all. For example last night "My Name is Earl", "The Office", "CSI", and "ER" all did not record. I can't figure out why. The DVR *is* recording some shows, but there seems to be no identifiable pattern to determine which shows it will record and which it will miss. I have a total of 27 SL's. The "to-do" list is about 49 items - with many missing entries of shows it should be recording.

I am not trying to be overly critical of this unit (I have seen a lot of negative posts here) - but my short term experience is that I can't depend on it to record anything consistently. I can live with the first run bug for now, but I need it to at least record the shows I asked it to. I have experienced problems with DTivo's in the past - but they are few and far between.

Is there something I can do to troubleshoot the problem or is this just the "way it is"??
This may sound stupid, but you may want to give this a shot with one SL and see if it helps. Delete the SL and recreate it. I don't generally have problems with missed shows, but I have had SLs go "stale" (don't know a better term) on me. For example, I set up "American Eats" on the History Channel, and it just stopped picking up new episodes (I had it set up on my other R15 as well, and it was working fine there). So I did just as I recommended - deleted it and recreated it - and it's fine now. This also happened for another SL "How It's Made" on the Science channel. Did the same thing and it worked for that too. I also noticed that I don't need to keep redoing this -- it seems to work fine after that. And it seems to afflict my 500 more than my 300. In fact, I don't recall this happening on my 300 at all. The other night I THOUGHT that it happened on the 300. I went to watch Jeopardy, and was majorly ticked when it wasn't on my VOD list. It was only 7:05 (Jeopardy starts at 7:00 around here), so it was just after the show started. I went to the guide and found that the show wasn't on - it was preempted for the Rendell / Swann debate. The point of that story? No point - just rambling :)

·
Hall Of Fame
2,473 Posts
jpl said:
I don't generally have problems with missed shows, but I have had SLs go "stale" (don't know a better term) on me.
I think that is a great way to describe it. I've had acouple SL's go "stale" and deleting them and recreating them seems to help. I've also noticed one SL where the title changed a little and it was recording some episodes and not others (it was the Fantasic Four they added World's Greatest Superhero's or some like that to the end of the title).

·
Hall Of Fame
1,510 Posts
I would venture to guess that most missed SL recordings are a result of oddities in guide data, not the visual parts that we see but attributes the R15 uses to ID programs.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
jwd45244 said:
I would venture to guess that most missed SL recordings are a result of oddities in guide data, not the visual parts that we see but attributes the R15 uses to ID programs.
I doubt the guide data changed for My Name is Earl, ER, The Office and CSI all at once. My R15 has been recording all of these other than ER without fail for the past few weeks as are my Tivos. I don't believe guide data has anything to do with this.

To to OP. If you go into the Prioritizer for each of these and pull up Episodes it should pull up the episodes and show which are scheduled to record. Maybe start the process of babysitting your TDL just to see what's happening.

·
Godfather
298 Posts
EMT said:

welcome to our world.:mad:

·
Hall Of Fame
1,510 Posts
Wolffpack said:
I doubt the guide data changed for My Name is Earl, ER, The Office and CSI all at once. My R15 has been recording all of these other than ER without fail for the past few weeks as are my Tivos. I don't believe guide data has anything to do with this.
You missed my point. The logic to record or not record a show is flawed. But the only thing that changed changes between two recordings on "my name is earl" is the guide data (assuming no software updates).

In all probability it is a case of a boundary or "off by 1" condition. These kind of software flaws are very hard to code and test for.

The interesting things is why does it work perfectly for some and not others. How about problems getting the data stream cleanly caused by weather? Who knows? T

·
Hall Of Fame
2,496 Posts
My Name Is Earl is working fine for but I did have to delete and recreate the SL at the start of the season. For some reason it didn't pick up the first show or from that point until I removed it and put it back. Luckily I didn't miss the show though as I caught it before it happened.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
jwd45244 said:
You missed my point. The logic to record or not record a show is flawed. But the only thing that changed changes between two recordings on "my name is earl" is the guide data (assuming no software updates).

In all probability it is a case of a boundary or "off by 1" condition. These kind of software flaws are very hard to code and test for.

The interesting things is why does it work perfectly for some and not others. How about problems getting the data stream cleanly caused by weather? Who knows? T
I believe it's a software bug. Thus the "works for some and not for others" issue. I doubt the guide data is sent down without any type of checksum. Checksum doesn't match, discard the packet and wait for the next. There's no way guide data or software updates come down without any type of checksum. Unless of course the R15 isn't checking that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.