DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have Comcast basic cable TV (no box, ch2-77) & am considering "adding" DISH HD only packge. Is there any way of integrating both in some sort of seemless operation?

I realize one option is that I could probably switch inputs on the TV, but I was hoping there was a better way. I thought I would get the Vip722 DVR receiver, but maybe I should consider a different receiver if I want to go this seemeless route? If so, what other Dish receiver is recommended for this?

I know there will be some questioning my decision to combine the two & think I should just get the DISH SD programming, but my method is actually cheaper for my needs. Since I want to have several independent TVs throughout the house (basic cable) and not have to pay extra fees for those TVs, this is my best option. Also, I have Comcast HSI that I want to keep as well so this is another factor.

· Icon
627 Posts
No there is not way of doing this with the 722 or 622. You can integrate over the air programming seamlessly but not cable.

Like you said, you'll have to use two different inputs in the TV.

I don't think E* is interested in making it easier for you to combine services.

· Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe the newer HD boxes don't allow this, but don't some of the older SD only boxes maybe allow you to integrate cable somehow? I mention this cause I have some in-laws who have DISH network and I noticed the channels start at 100 & there is a coax input on the back. Therefore I was thinking maybe they made it so cable TV could be hooked up and used for ch2-99. Maybe not though. I know this wouldn't really solve my HD question, but just wondering.

· Godfather
316 Posts
There is a device called a Q-box thats supposed to let you do this. I E-mailed E* looking for info on it some time ago but no one ever responded to me. I found little info on it on their web site. Its for MDU installations so I don't know if single dwelling users can order it.

· Hall Of Fame
2,497 Posts
EXTACAMO said:
There is a device called a Q-box thats supposed to let you do this.
Not exactly. The Q-box is used to convert the satellite signal to QAM. It is NOT compatible with cable QAM so it will not do what mcf57 wants it to do.

· Hall Of Fame
7,510 Posts
mcf57 said:
Maybe the newer HD boxes don't allow this, but don't some of the older SD only boxes maybe allow you to integrate cable somehow? I mention this cause I have some in-laws who have DISH network and I noticed the channels start at 100 & there is a coax input on the back. Therefore I was thinking maybe they made it so cable TV could be hooked up and used for ch2-99. Maybe not though. I know this wouldn't really solve my HD question, but just wondering.
No - there is no way to do what you're asking short of using something like a Tivo.

· Mentor
30 Posts
I used to have an 811 HD box and this did exactly what you are asking about. The newer generation of boxes (which you will be required to use after 8-1) do not support cable signals like the older models - only OTA signals

· Banned
97 Posts
Just diplex the cable line coming in...

· Icon
890 Posts
mcf57 said:
I currently have Comcast basic cable TV (no box, ch2-77) & am considering "adding" DISH HD only packge..[/QUOTE

I have Comcast limited basic cable and basic HD with two Comcast HD boxes, and E* HD Only package with one 722 and one 622 receiver. Currently have 8 TVs hooked up.
On the TVs where both Comcast and E* are hooked up I switch between inputs. There is no seemless solution. Just like you are thinking, I have Comcast coax only going into an analog TV which is not used a lot and I do not want to spend the monthly fee for a box.

· Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea, I think this is ultimately what I'll wind up doing. Just have to switch sources on the TV between cable & DISH. I think Dish's HD only package is great and if DISH is smart, they could also market and target this somehow to customers who have basic cable like myself.

It would be nice if they consider future boxes having the capability of accepting regular analog cable for ch2-99. Of course, they probably won't do either cause I'm sure it might be like cutting their own throat and people won't subscribe to their regular SD packages if they promote this idea somehow. Also, why put the idea out there of people using an inferior product (analog cable) when they can get amuch better basic product from them.

I would have gone all DISH a long time ago if it wasn't for these extra box fees. I wanted INDEPENDANT viewing on about 6-7 TVs throughout my home and the extra $5/month with DISH would of killed any kind of savings. Oh well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.