DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
AllStar
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to remember a time when DirecTV had the best customer service in the business. I’ve been trying for a month to do a very simple upgrade from an HR44 to an HR54 so I can watch programming in 4K on my new TV. My first attempt to call customer service failed because the rep on the phone had no idea what I was talking about. They said I’d get a call in 3-5 business days. That never happened, so I tried calling again. This time they appeared to understand what I wanted and set up an appointment for two weeks out. Today, the installer shows up and tells me that my work order was wrong and he didn’t even have any HR54s available to do the upgrade. So now I have to call them a third time to “fix their mess,” as the installer described it. I got the sense that this happens all the time.
The funny thing is that an ATT “in home expert” came to my house an hour before the installation to try to sell me a bunch of services I didn’t ask for. He left his card, so I left him a message to see if he could fix it because apparently nobody at their call center knows what the heck they are doing. I’m almost ready to cancel DirecTV completely because the service is no longer essential to my TV enjoyment.

·
1,359 Posts
CALL 1-800-531-5000 enter your phone or acct when asked say cancel then the idiot will ask you what you want to cancel say DTV. then the idiot will ask you if your moving say no. that will get you to the loyality dept and there in merica!!! how many t.v.s do you have??? as with that HR-54 you will need a 4k client. i would just go with the genie 2 the tower server

·
1,359 Posts
I seem to remember a time when DirecTV had the best customer service in the business. I’ve been trying for a month to do a very simple upgrade from an HR44 to an HR54 so I can watch programming in 4K on my new TV. My first attempt to call customer service failed because the rep on the phone had no idea what I was talking about. They said I’d get a call in 3-5 business days. That never happened, so I tried calling again. This time they appeared to understand what I wanted and set up an appointment for two weeks out. Today, the installer shows up and tells me that my work order was wrong and he didn’t even have any HR54s available to do the upgrade. So now I have to call them a third time to “fix their mess,” as the installer described it. I got the sense that this happens all the time.
The funny thing is that an ATT “in home expert” came to my house an hour before the installation to try to sell me a bunch of services I didn’t ask for. He left his card, so I left him a message to see if he could fix it because apparently nobody at their call center knows what the heck they are doing. I’m almost ready to cancel DirecTV completely because the service is no longer essential to my TV enjoyment.
i remember calling em and telling em that i needed an HR-54 drop shipped via fedex. so FF what happens:unsure::unsure::rolleyes::rolleyes:??? i get a tech ready to do a new install with another 2 year contract!!! lucky we knew each other!!! he asked me why i needed another install i was like you tell me and we will both know:LOL::D:rolleyes:. then i told him that i told em to drop ship it via fedex. then i was like what's so hard to understand about that :unsure::unsure::rolleyes:??? then i told him that i ****ing hated dealing with AT&T he said so do i:rolleyes::rolleyes:..

·
Icon
845 Posts
Directv service is a mess. I wanted an HD Upgrade, so they scheduled a truck roll with a 4K replacement receiver. They brought with them C61s, not CK61s and argued with me that the 4k would be "provisioned" on the c61s. Also, my LCC was no longer working because the HS17 is not compatible with it.. So, I needed another truck roll, where another tech brought out the CK61s, but not an HR54 which would work with the LCC. So, yet another truck roll was scheduled, and I got automated texts throughout the day and evening saying that the tech was delayed but he would arrive soon. Twelve hours later no one showed up. Frustration level rising, I asked to disconnect and be switched to Directv Stream. The CSR used the same email for the stream account, and it would not authorize. They could not get it to work for days on end, so they reactivated my satellite account with an HR54. What a frustrating mess it was. Far different from the days when a well stocked Directv truck would arrive at your residence with a professional technician who was knowledgable about the equipment and service.

·
Icon
4,153 Posts
CALL 1-800-531-5000 enter your phone or acct when asked say cancel then the idiot will ask you what you want to cancel say DTV. then the idiot will ask you if your moving say no. that will get you to the loyality dept and there in merica!!! how many t.v.s do you have??? as with that HR-54 you will need a 4k client. i would just go with the genie 2 the tower server
Not even worth messing with 4k. Get the HR54 and have a direct TV connection. For what, the like 2 seconds per month of 4K? if you don't like sports or a few documentaries, there is no 4k.

·
1,359 Posts
Not even worth messing with 4k. Get the HR54 and have a direct TV connection. For what, the like 2 seconds per month of 4K? if you don't like sports or a few documentaries, there is no 4k.
AGREE!!! most of 104 is crap!!! some shows have some sort of trickery to make you think there 4k when there not!!! i like sports i seen games and events in 4k

·
Icon
4,153 Posts
They had the best of the worst.. Even at its best its overall approval was still horrible
I did once got a tech support guy who knew about wiring up OTA with a b-band, but that was like 15+ yrs ago. More recently, I got one who was confused when I asked about programming the remote.

Turns out high quality employees at crappy companies want to actually get paid like high quality employees at good companies, and when they don't, they bounce. Thus you end up with a company full of crappy employees who are cool with the lower payer, cuz that's all they can get. Who'd of thunk?

Still, people bash DirecTV like they're the only company in the world with crappy customer service. Ever tried to get ahold of a human at Microsoft? I've been trying to get my (now ex) doctor to update my insurance for a WEEK.

·
Icon
2,703 Posts
I must have gotten lucky. With the exception of how long the phone call actually took, my conversion from an HR44, two HR24's an an RVU TV to an HS17 and four C61K's last month went very smoothly. I even lucked out and ended up with an HS17 that had an eSATA port built-in.

·
1,359 Posts
I must have gotten lucky. With the exception of how long the phone call actually took, my conversion from an HR44, two HR24's an an RVU TV to an HS17 and four C61K's last month went very smoothly. I even lucked out and ended up with an HS17 that had an eSATA port built-in.
i am thinking that they want everyone on the HS17 for some strange reason. i got an HR-54 that grew a mind of it's own i was upgraded to the HS-17 in 10 minutes no issues and my call went right through pretty painless.

·
1,359 Posts
Directv service is a mess. I wanted an HD Upgrade, so they scheduled a truck roll with a 4K replacement receiver. They brought with them C61s, not CK61s and argued with me that the 4k would be "provisioned" on the c61s. Also, my LCC was no longer working because the HS17 is not compatible with it.. So, I needed another truck roll, where another tech brought out the CK61s, but not an HR54 which would work with the LCC. So, yet another truck roll was scheduled, and I got automated texts throughout the day and evening saying that the tech was delayed but he would arrive soon. Twelve hours later no one showed up. Frustration level rising, I asked to disconnect and be switched to Directv Stream. The CSR used the same email for the stream account, and it would not authorize. They could not get it to work for days on end, so they reactivated my satellite account with an HR54. What a frustrating mess it was. Far different from the days when a well stocked Directv truck would arrive at your residence with a professional technician who was knowledgable about the equipment and service.
i had a tech wanting to do my install via wireless :eek: :rolleyes:. i told him that there's no such thing as a wireless 4K install. he didn't like it when i told him that he was going to earn his days pay and do a hard wired install as required. can you say i pissed in his cherrios that day:LOL::D:oops:. i don't even think the 4k clients have the radios in them to respond to the video bridge. now that would have been interesting:rolleyes:. most installers in my area are idiots. i noticed the good ones have left. there were 150 installers in my area now there's only like 50.

·
AllStar
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: I FINALLY got my 4K upgrade, but not without some classic customer service shenanigans. I received a text that my technician was “on his way” at Noon. Three hours later, they finally show up. Turns out that my revised work order was STILL WRONG. This time, instead of walking out and leaving me to deal with it like the last guy, they called customer service on my behalf to sort it out. The DirecTV rep insisted on a BS $99 connection fee. Installers said I should agree to the fee so they could complete the work, then call later and demand that the fee be removed. About an hour later I had a new box installed and I was able to watch the All Star Game in 4K.

After all that, my wife and I were unable to detect any significant difference between the 4K feed of the game and regular HD, but at least my long customer service nightmare is over. I tweeted at them and got the fee removed.

So much confusion over what I thought would be a very simple upgrade!

·
Godfather
391 Posts
I definitely remember when DirecTV had the best customer service in the business. Sadly those days are long gone!
Those days are sadly in the rear view mirror.

When I cancelled my service, the retention agent told me that for me to stay on board, there would be an increase in my price instead of offering real incentives. I laughed in her face. That really solidified my decision to drop the service.

·
Administrator
505 Posts
Every company's customer service sector is hurting right now. The service industry as a whole has been in turmoil since mid 2020.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,497 Posts
Every company's customer service sector is hurting right now.
Few companies have experienced the decline that DIRECTV has.

Brand E is bragging that they're the J.D. Power #1 (residential television service provider satisfaction) for the fourth year in a row (2020-21 cycle).

DISH 751
DIRECTV 731
Xfinity 723

To be sure, the bar is awfully low.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts