DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My picture is great, but I don't understand when you run a system test why one tuner is in the 70's and the other in the 90's. It seems they should be close to the same. Does anyone know if this is a concern or any ideas? I tried to find a thread for this, but could not.

·
Icon
968 Posts
what kind of cable are you using? try swapping the cables in the back and see if the problem follows.... if the problem switches to the other tuner then its probably the cable or maybe the multiswitch. if it doesn't follow its the tuner in the unit.

·
Legend
131 Posts
It all depends on the channels the tuners are tuned to at the time of the test. Diffferent channels are different transponders on different satellites have different strengths. If you are worried about signal strength. View signal strengths thru the Sat & Ant option on setup menu.

·
Legend
144 Posts
Signal strength question:

Had a small rainstorm here (Chicago) last night and for quite some time I had no D* HD picture. Local HDs were fine. Now, the D* picture is back, normal as far as I can tell, but signal strength seems messed up:

--On 101 they're all in the 80s (were mid 90s or more before).
--On 110 I have 3 transponders (not sure if this is normal): 8, 91; 10, 95 and 12, 95.
--On 119 I have 22, 88; 23, 0; 24, 86; and 25-32 are between 79 and 95 (with 31 being 0).
--On 99(b) I have 1-8: 26 76 38 82 34 73 NA NA (and the rest NA)
--On 103(a) I have 1-8: 96 0 96 95 0 NA NA (rest NA)

So, did something go wrong that needs to be fixed? I called D* and got "Brittney" in "Level 2" tech. support who, no offense, didn't sound like she knew a thing and could only set up a service call.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks...

·
Legend
105 Posts
One thing I picked up after talking to a friend of mine is that these new dishes are big enough that the wind can blow them out of alignment. The 'footprint' is a good bit larger than the 3lmb. He had to move his from a free standing pole to his fence because he would be out of alignment after each storm. Also, I think the things are more sensitive due to having to pick up 5 different satellites. I had an issue with mine where an almost unnoticeable bend in the dish cost me 30% signal on 103.

Z

·
AllStar
65 Posts
uteotw, your numbers on 110 are excellent, and on 103 at least good. The others are in the average range. I wouldn't bother with a service call as long as
you are receiving all your channels with no problems.

I was very impressed with the MPEG4 PQ on the Bear game last night. It was equal to OTA. I am really looking forward to the new national MPEG4 HD channels next year.

·
Legend
144 Posts
UncD2000 said:
uteotw, your numbers on 110 are excellent, and on 103 at least good. The others are in the average range. I wouldn't bother with a service call as long as
you are receiving all your channels with no problems.

I was very impressed with the MPEG4 PQ on the Bear game last night. It was equal to OTA. I am really looking forward to the new national MPEG4 HD channels next year.
Thanks for the input. However, what about the 99? I guess my main concern is that one very minor "storm" caused the HDs to go completely out for several hours and afterwards I've had at least some loss in signal strength--so what happens when a REAL storm, winter or otherwise, hits? If it's not up there completely securely I'd like it fixed now. The flipside is the main reason for the service call (she gave me this one free) was that the D* HDs were out, and now they're back in, so I'm not totally sure what to do at this point...

·
Banned
614 Posts
uteotw said:
Thanks for the input. However, what about the 99? I guess my main concern is that one very minor "storm" caused the HDs to go completely out for several hours and afterwards I've had at least some loss in signal strength--so what happens when a REAL storm, winter or otherwise, hits? If it's not up there completely securely I'd like it fixed now. The flipside is the main reason for the service call (she gave me this one free) was that the D* HDs were out, and now they're back in, so I'm not totally sure what to do at this point...
It very critical to get your dish aligned to the highest possible signal strength using an appropriate signal meter. The installer should have one. If the dish is aligned/peaked correctly then rain/show fade should be minimal. For instance if you have a signal of at least 90 or higher on most transponders, then you should be set for the winter.

·
Legend
144 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
It very critical to get your dish aligned to the highest possible signal strength using an appropriate signal meter. The installer should have one. If the dish is aligned/peaked correctly then rain/show fade should be minimal. For instance if you have a signal of at least 90 or higher on most transponders, then you should be set for the winter.
Thanks. I'm going to take the free tech visit to try accomplish just that. When they dropped from the 90s to the 70s after one rainstorm I figured something was up. And with winter just around the corner I want that baby locked down. Checked again last night and they were still in the 70s to 80s, so hopefully I'll get somebody smart out to fix 'er up. Thanks again for the input...

·
DBSTalk Club Member
58 Posts
uteotw said:
Signal strength question:

Had a small rainstorm here (Chicago) last night and for quite some time I had no D* HD picture. Local HDs were fine. Now, the D* picture is back, normal as far as I can tell, but signal strength seems messed up:

--On 101 they're all in the 80s (were mid 90s or more before).
--On 110 I have 3 transponders (not sure if this is normal): 8, 91; 10, 95 and 12, 95.
--On 119 I have 22, 88; 23, 0; 24, 86; and 25-32 are between 79 and 95 (with 31 being 0).
--On 99(b) I have 1-8: 26 76 38 82 34 73 NA NA (and the rest NA)
--On 103(a) I have 1-8: 96 0 96 95 0 NA NA (rest NA)
I had a very similar thing happen to me as well. I did not really notice the number of transponders I originally had or their specific strength . . . though I know when it was initially set-up, I do remember seeing a lot of high 80's and 90's. Also after a recent, not even a storm, but a steady amount of light rain one night recently, I woke up the next day and had no HD locals.
I went through the sat and ant set-up and set my tuners to the transponders that had high signal strengths, and then they worked fine, and have since. However, I am wondering about the fact that I too only have 3 transponders on 110 (mid 90's), 11 on 119 (low/mid 90's), 6 on 99(b) (0 95 100 0 0 72), and 6 on 103(a) (0 100 0 0 0 100). Is this acceptable/normal? Or am I gonna lose them again during the next rain I get?
Also was wondering, since I don't have the service plan. Do I need to call someone out to realign my dish (how much $ will that be?) or should I just try to budge it a little myself? Not sure what I need to do . . . thanks in advance for anyone's advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.