DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
Let me begin with a guess that it will include News Corp's Fox News, Fx, SPEED and maybe FUEL and/or Fox Business Network all depending on negotiations over tiers and pricing. I can't guess about chances for the Viacom owned channels that includes the MTV music channel group, Nickelodeon, Noggin, BET, Spike, and Comedy Central. Right now, I don't see much chance for the Rainbow group which includes AMC, IFC, and the problem standing in the way, the VOOM channels.

· Godfather
306 Posts
They say "up to" 150, which means they already have meet their promise, according the the wording.

Howver, I think we will see Viacom, maybe Fox, Chiller HD, and likely some independant networks like Outdoor Channel HD.

· Icon
867 Posts
HDRoberts said:
They say "up to" 150, which means they already have meet their promise, according the the wording.

Howver, I think we will see Viacom, maybe Fox, Chiller HD, and likely some independant networks like Outdoor Channel HD.
Chiller is not going hd this year.
NBCU said they are not upgrading any of their sd channels to hd this year.:(
Also, the CHiller website removed their "coming in hd soon" references from their site

· Super Moderator
54,213 Posts
The "how do we get to 150" question was asked when the Turbo "promise" was made ... I don't believe we are much closer to having 150 channels TO uplink and make available, unless DISH follows DirecTV's lead and adds a lot of PPV channels.

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,882 Posts
James Long said:
The "how do we get to 150" question was asked when the Turbo "promise" was made ... I don't believe we are much closer to having 150 channels TO uplink and make available, unless DISH follows DirecTV's lead and adds a lot of PPV channels.
Well, they do count part time game only channels as "channel" so they can fudge their numbers just as good as DirecTV. ;)

· Hall Of Fame
6,220 Posts
nostalgiaguru said:
Turbo is still advertising 100 HD channels now, 150 by year-end. What "by year end" channels will be added?
It's just a name change. However I'm looking for more HD soon...

· Godfather
306 Posts
James Long said:
Granted, you would be hard pressed to get to 150 full time linear HDs out there. However, Dish now claims 114. I've counted what's left. With nationals, new RSNs, and premiums (not even counting Voom), there will easily be 36 more channels Dish can put up. Of course, there are some I'd rather not have to keep space for future launches (like Comedy Central HD).

Here is just a sample:
Viacom - 5: MTV, CMT, VH1, Spike, Nick
Fox - 5: Fox News, Fox Buisness, FX, Speed, Fuel
Comcast (coming Dec. 8) - 4: E!, Style, G4, plus Golf and Versus seperationg
Rainbow - 4: AMC, IFC, WE, Fuse
Also add ESPNU, Outdoor Channel, and Wealth for national HD. There are also several more launching "soon"
There are alos 20 premiums (athough I don't expect all to be carried, but at leas the HD versions of the ones Dish does have could be)
Not to mention 7 RSNs not carried period.

Pleanty of HD out there, and more soon to be.

Anyway, when did NBCU announce no new HD? Seems like a few weeks ago, people were still thinking Chiller HD would be out in October. Not that I care, I hate horror.:)

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,573 Posts
brant said:
could be "fiscal year end", which may be around february or so. :grin:
DISH operates on a calendar fiscal year (as does DIRECTV).

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,573 Posts
bonscott87 said:
Well, they do count part time game only channels as "channel" so they can fudge their numbers just as good as DirecTV. ;)
Hmmm. The same movie back-to-back with itself for six days or a handful of live sporting events...

· Registered
24,401 Posts
harsh said:
Hmmm. The same movie back-to-back with itself for six days or a handful of live sporting events...
Ahh.. we have all the single game and full time RSNs too...

Actually, I really hope Dish finds more channels to add rather than just the ones already on Directv... that will force Directv to pick up so more... Competition is always good in that aspect!

Unfortunately, I think we will see some Shopping channels go HD on Sat before the end of the year...

· Godfather
445 Posts
I want the Nick HD channel the most.

· Godfather
329 Posts
A channel like Concast Sports Net Chicago is an absolute waste for myself and another member here to have. We NEVER get to see ANYTHING on that channel, because we are not close enough to Chicago's region. And yet, we receive that channel as a regional channel. Even local Fox has Cubs/Bears/Sox games. And then there are the national games on ESPN that are blacked out and the message says to watch it on a local channel. Sorry, but we don't have a local broadcasting those events!

Someone screwed that up!

· Icon
623 Posts
Always an interesting study to see how many people hear/read 150 channels by years end when it in fact says "up to" which means they don't have to add one channel.

I am still just waiting for a handful of channels such as FX and Speed to name a few and I would be happy for another 6 months.

· Hall Of Fame
6,220 Posts
Galaxie6411 said:
Always an interesting study to see how many people hear/read 150 channels by years end when it in fact says "up to" which means they don't have to add one channel.

I am still just waiting for a handful of channels such as FX and Speed to name a few and I would be happy for another 6 months.
I think we won't see any new HD channels for a while.

· Godfather
306 Posts
ImBack234 said:
Well I missed the announcement but avsforums says E* announce AMC, CMT, VH1 & Nick HD. So you may be in luck.

That would suck if that's all we get by the end of the year.:(
I doubt we see AMC. It is a Rainbow Media network. If we do see it, I imagine IFC HD and WE HD will turn up (maybe Fuse HD, too). But I think if we see it theis year, we would also see the return, in some form, of the Voom networks, as I doubt Rainbow would roll over so fast. But I think it is an unlikley senario.

If we get CMT, Nick, and VH1, we will probably get Spike and MTV at the same time. Plus Comedy Central if available. I think these nets are the most likely to see turn up "soon."

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.