DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stay away from TurboTax Deluxe this year if you need Schedules C, D, E, or K-1. The 2014 version will not let you e-file if you use these schedules.

Check the reviews on Amazon.com for details. The HR Block software is recommended as a substitute. It's significantly cheaper and can import details from last year's TurboTax summary.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
billsharpe said:
Stay away from TurboTax Deluxe this year if you need Schedules C, D, E, or K-1. The 2014 version will not let you e-file if you use these schedules.

Check the reviews on Amazon.com for details. The HR Block software is recommended as a substitute. It's significantly cheaper and can import details from last year's TurboTax summary.
Thanks for the information, but it's important to note that there are 4 different versions of TurboTax.

The TurboTax website itself has all the detailed information on each version.

Anyone can simply pay the nominal difference in price for the Premier version with Schedule D, or else the Home & Business version for self-employed people. They are simply changing the versions slightly from the past to align them with specific non-standard tax-filing needs.

Schedule C is needed only for self-employed P&L (sole owners).
Schedule D is needed only for reportable Capital Gains.
Schedule E is used for rental income, receive royalties, or have income reported on a Schedule K-1 from a partnership

No impact for most people filing their taxes...and none here either...so sticking with TurboTax Deluxe.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,428 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
The more accurate statement would be that the Deluxe version from past years no longer supports these schedules.
Your clarification is not clearer nor is it a more accurate statement. The older versions didn't include the schedules but they still allowed you to insert the results from the schedules and e-file.

For the specific class of taxpayers that was clearly defined, it is the significant reduction in functionality that billsharpe makes it out to be.

Why Intuit did it doesn't matter. The fact that they removed functionality from the basic paid product does matter to those who had been previously getting by with a $50 cheaper edition.

Turbo Tax is getting expensive.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
billsharpe said:

Thanks.
I have been using the Basic version from day 1. It has, in the past, always done the sale of stocks for me. From their own web site it appears that there is no longer a Basic version and the comparison down the page a ways does show that the Deluxe no longer does the sale of stocks.
https://turbotax.intuit.com/
I guess I will now have to get the Premier for almost twice the price. DANG IT !!!

·
This Space for Sale
7,466 Posts
Jimmie -- there is a Basic version listed for the CD/Download versions. But not if you use Online TurboTax.

But you're correct, if you select "Sold Stock or Bonds/Own Rental Property", you're told the Premier is the TurboTax product you need to purchase.

·
Hall Of Fame
15,561 Posts
Actually, they upgraded us for free:

Of course, we started by using the auto-transfer from last year's return.

Now whether I'll buy Premier next year, we'll see.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
harsh said:
Your clarification is not clearer nor is it a more accurate statement.
Apparently it is - the full listing of the 4 different versions and the schedule distribution by version is listed in my post (which was not included in the original post). That is needed very important to understand IF and how those schedules may impact tax payers using the product/version.

Perhaps you need to read it again, unless you're posting just to argue.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
phrelin said:
Actually, they upgraded us for free:

Of course, we started by using the auto-transfer from last year's return.
Good added information that people have the availability to upgrade for free if the added schedules are needed by using the Deluxe version this year!

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,428 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
Apparently it is - the full listing of the 4 different versions and the schedule distribution by version is listed in my post (which was not included in the original post).
Your statement (that has subsequently been removed from your post) was not factual.

Suggesting that there are other versions does NOT change the issue that it used to work and now it doesn't.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,428 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
Good added information that people have the availability to upgrade for free if the added schedules are needed by using the Deluxe version this year!
One should not summarily ignore the expressed limitation of "Because you're a TurboTax Advantage member" (automatic renewal).

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
harsh said:
Your statement (that has subsequently been removed from your post) was not factual.

Suggesting that there are other versions does NOT change the issue that it used to work and now it doesn't.
The beagles are on a mission to chase their tail...but to no avail...here on New year's Eve.

:rotfl: !rolling

Happy New (Tax) Year!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
If anyone is interested in H& R Block at Home, Amazon is selling the digital download deluxe with state version for $21.99 today.

·
Registered
23,065 Posts
bobnielsen said:
Amazon Prime members can purchase the Premier version for $54.99.
Thanks, Bob. Just ordered it!

gpg said:
If anyone is interested in H& R Block at Home, Amazon is selling the digital download deluxe with state version for $21.99 today.
More than 50% off. NIce. Here's a price comparison chart. TaxACT looks like the best deal. Not sure if it can import previous years from the competition. I know that a few years ago, I was able to go from TT one year to H&R block the next and then back to TT the year after that.

http://financialsoft.about.com/od/otherfinancialsoftware/fl/Compare-Tax-Software-Prices-for-Tax-Year-2013.htm

·
This Space for Sale
7,466 Posts
Steve said:
Thanks, Bob. Just ordered it!

More than 50% off. NIce. Here's a price comparison chart. TaxACT looks like the best deal. Not sure if it can import previous years from the competition. I know that a few years ago, I was able to go from TT one year to H&R block the next and then back to TT the year after that.

http://financialsoft.about.com/od/otherfinancialsoftware/fl/Compare-Tax-Software-Prices-for-Tax-Year-2013.htm
That price comparison is for software for tax year for 2013.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
SamC said:
Unless the government gives me a discount for e-file, I never will. I will print out paper forms. This is the least efficient method for the government. Anything to cause it pain.
I can understand that...paying an additional fee for that service does seem somewhat unreasonable.

That said, we e-file each year and get the return processed quickly and have an electronic receipt for documentation. Our contention is that the risk in trusting the mail service for delivery of important documents seems to outway the nominal cost to e-file. But to each their own.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.