DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
New Texan
11,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently, TV Japan is making some of their programming available for public viewing. The program title begins with "Free TVJ:" On 148, it's on channel 640. I ran a checkl on my 501, and I've got 144 matches up until Friday, June 7th at 4:30 PM.

Looks like TNG Tony will have sometime to fill the space for note 3 on his chart. Some of the programming is in English.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
Looking at the schedule, this is the standard free programming that TV Japan has had since I've had a dish pointed at 61.5°. Normarlly TV Japan is available to ALL subs (maybe even FTA) for nearly all the news and public affairs programs and sometimes grand Sumo Tournaments.

Check out http://www.tvjapan.net/eng/programming.html

But you're right, I should note it in the grid that some programming is available to all as I do in the "what's on 61.5° page at http://echostar.swiki.net/143.

See ya
Tony

·
Legend
172 Posts
I wrote to them once, thanking them for the "Free TVJ" portions of their programming, and they replied saying that it wasn't free at all, and that I could subscribe for $$ per month.

Honestly, if it wasn't so expensive, this would be one of the nicer internationals to have.

G

·
What's "FTA"? What's "checkl"? I get nothing on channel 640 and search for "TVJ" comes up with nothing.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
Brad...
FTA=Free to Air. That means anyone with an MPEG receiver and a dish pointed at 61.5 can get the channel for free during the Free TVJ times.

The next Free TVJ event is the News at Noon in English at 12 midnight tonight then again at 3:30 am (Japan is 12 hours ahead of EDT) so the midnight newscast is live. The Evening news at 7am always has the English SAP on the "Japanese" alternate sound track.

See ya
Tony

·
Icon/Supporter
592 Posts
Originally posted by Brad
What's "FTA"? What's "checkl"? I get nothing on channel 640 and search for "TVJ" comes up with nothing.
Well, I don't have a 501, but "checkl" is apparently some utility you can run which checks the program guide for occurrences of a string.

TV Japan is on both DISH "wing" satellites; 148 and 61.5.
The FTA schedule applies to both. You'll need a dish pointed
at one of these locations, and most likely some kind of switch
to integrate its signal into your channels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.