DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Legend
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking into Dish and the use of the HD/DVR 622 receiver. I have a HDTV in one room, and a 15" analog TV in another room. I plan to connect a uhf antenna for locals into the back of the 622.

The back of the 622 says channels 21-69 for TV2. How will I be able to view channels 2-99 on my tuner for this set. Need to see some locals as well as others.
Why the channel restriction?

Do I need to use the 421 and a separate receiver for the 15" set?

Been using cable since day 1, so this satelite stuff is new to me.

Thanks for any help.

· Legend
100 Posts
You have several options, depending on how you want to use your 622 and your 2nd TV.

Option # 1 - Run the 622 in Single mode
-Under this option, whatever you seen on your primary (HD?) TV you will on see on your second 15 inch analog TV. Under this scenario, you could tune into digital locals from either TV, when when you go to the program guide, you will seen not only your satellite channels, but also your local digitals, no matter which TV you are using. In this mode, you can record one (or even two shows is one of them is a local digital) while watching another. You can also use picture in picture, but both sets would get the same programming.
Option # 2 - Run the 622 in dual mode
-Under this option, Satellite Tuner #1 would primarily serve your main set, and Satellite Tuner #2 would primarily server your second analog set. The local off- the-air digital tuner serves only set number one. The local digitals will not even show up in the program guide when viewing set #2. Under this setup, you could watch a recorded show on either TV while recording another show, but you could not watch one live show will recording another show if both TV's (and tuners) are in use. Although on TV1, you could watch one show live and record a second show if one of those shows is using the off-air digital tuner and the other show is using the satellite tuner. To make this even more complicated, while TV2 has no access to the off-air tuner for watching live TV, TV2 could play back a show that was recorded earlier from the off-air tuner.
Under this setup, TV2 would only have access to live local TV if you subscribe to locals from Dish, or if you use the analog tuner on TV2 to pick-up analog channels off the air (the old fashioned way!)

Also, keep this in mind: The off air tuner in the 622 only receives digital channels. The 622 has no analog tuner. You also probably would need some kind of diplexer if you want to feed TV2 with both the signal from the 622, and an off air antenna (if your planning to use that TV's analog tuner for receiving analog locals.)

· Legend
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses!

I think maybe I need the 421 for TV1 an HDTV set.
I then use a splitter on the incoming sat/OTA to feed a digital to analog receiver for TV2.
Do they have that type of receiver?

Will this work? :confused:

Edit: Of course the 15" analog TV is probably not worth the extra rental receiver! Maybe a new digital tuner LCD.... :)
and then option 1 above.

· Godfather
252 Posts
Let's simplify this a little.

You will get two remotes with your 622. One (infrared) controls TV-1, which is usually the HDTV in the same room with the 622. The second remote (UHF) controls TV-2 in dual mode, which is probably the way you'll want to go.

The output you are referring to (channel 21-69 out) outputs two channels (of your choice) to your second TV location, or throughout the house if you're wired for that. One channel is whatever is currently tuned on the TV-1 tuner. The other is whatever is currently tuned on the TV-2 tuner. The TV-2 remote can only change channels on TV-2 from its remote location.

Only TV-1 has access to OTA local digital stations. Therefore, if you want to watch local channels on TV-2, you have to either subscribe to E* locals ($5/mo), or provide a separate OTA antenna feed to your remote TV(s), so you can use their NTSC or ATSC tuners to watch locals.

The other thing they may or may not tell you is that you MUST subscribe to E* locals in order to get guide information for your OTA locals.

The "TV-2" system really works pretty well, but you have to realize that it is RF-modulated NTSC, and won't give you as good a picture as a separate receiver connected to your TV via composite or S-video. However, with a 15" I doubt if it would be worth adding another receiver and paying a mirroring fee.

Brad

· Legend
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Brad that does help.

"The "TV-2" system really works pretty well, but you have to realize that it is RF-modulated NTSC, and won't give you as good a picture as a separate receiver connected to your TV via composite or S-video. However, with a 15" I doubt if it would be worth adding another receiver and paying a mirroring fee."

RF-modulated NTSC....ah analog? So, I will be able to use my current analog TV2 set? Great.
In my area there are no E* locals available, so I will use some type of antenna to feed to the 622 (all UHF digital). So, since no E* locals, I see no need to subscribe to it....correct. I can get the listings from the local paper anyway.

Bob

· Godfather
252 Posts
bwclark said:
RF-modulated NTSC....ah analog? So, I will be able to use my current analog TV2 set? Great.
In my area there are no E* locals available, so I will use some type of antenna to feed to the 622 (all UHF digital). So, since no E* locals, I see no need to subscribe to it....correct. I can get the listings from the local paper anyway.

Bob
I guess you mean that you can't get E* SD locals, either. There are still a few markets that they don't serve, but not many. If that's the case, you can use "manual" timers to record OTA - it's just a lot more work. I'm one of the very lucky ones in a market (KC) where we have HD locals, also. This makes it possible to record 3 local HD programs at once (1 OTA and 2 Sat)! I'm sorry to say that I have done this. :eek2:

Brad

Oh, BTW.............:welcome_s Being an E* sub can be frustrating at times, but we're all here to help.

· Legend
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is correct; no E* locals of any type....pretty much in the sticks in far, far, NW Calif.

Local cable has 2-99 analog channels, and digital from there up. Just got 5 HD channels, but it is very expensive. I dislike the analog stuff....lots of noise, so I will give the digital OTA channels a try to see if there is an improvement. And perhaps the dish digital will also have some improvement.

Thanks All! :)

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.