DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that TVN 24, a new Polish channel, is now on channel 609 on my receiver. It is probably the replacement for TV Polonia, but it's OBVIOUSLY in free preview cuz I caught a couple minutes of it last night before I went to bed. I just thought I'd let everybody know.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TVN 24 is a news channel. When I watched, it looked rather boring. To quote George Carlin, it's about as exciting as watching to flies f-----g. :)

·
Legend
172 Posts
Well, I watched TVN24 for a while. And you know, when I saw it in the guide at first, not noticing the channel number (because I usually have the ALL SUB list in use), I actually thought it may have been a preview channel for the TVN pay per view service (as seen on C-Band), but instead found the Polish equivalent of CNN, or perhaps Headline News (sans graphics package).

I can't say it was bad, but not all that interesting either. Low audio level, IMO, in reference to other TV and radio stations on Dish and Sky Angel.
I wish they'd "zoom out" a bit on Dish's end so we could see the "ticker" at the bottom of the TVN24 screen.

I may not be able to understand much or even any of it, but those who might would probably want it visible. Maybe they are "zooming in" to avoid a slight letterboxing? Perhaps the original signal is in a wider aspect ratio.

I hope they add a general entertainment channel from Poland as well. I wouldn't want just news if I were interested in an Int'l package. Maybe they will leave this in free preview for a while if TV Polonia does indeed drop Dish? Perhaps as a "consolation prize" so to speak. I certainly hope they don't think they can demand such a premium price for this channel; having seen it. It does indeed play commercials. I saw a commercial for Polish HBO! Now let's see Dish offer that! ;)

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
Jegrant,

Ticker shows up just fine on my TVs (36" Toshiba & 27" Panamanasonic) Are you sure you don't have a wee bit ov overscan on your TV?

See ya
Tony

·
Godfather
309 Posts
I talked to my friend in New Jersey. She only subbed to TV Polonia. Now there is a polish guy representing dish saying that they could not reach an agreement that would be good in business for dish.She is canceling dish today.

I wouldnt blame this on DishNetwork. TV Polonia got to greedy in my opinion.

·
Legend
172 Posts
Maybe my TV is overscanning more than I thought. Strangely, the smallest TV I have is also the one with the least overscan. The larger TVs I have, are the ones with the worst problem!

I checked again, on the same (big) TV, and I can now see about half of the ticker at the center point of the bottom curve in the screen. That is better than it was. I also checked on my smallest TV set, and, yes indeed, I can see about 90 to 95 percent of the ticker (and therefore, excepting the language barrier, it's fine).

So I guess it is just my sets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts