DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

· Legend
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking out TVpredictions.com this morning and they have decided not to recommend the HR20 to anyone.

That really angered me. I realize that folks have had problems, but for the most part mine has been very stable and I have been very happy with it.

To just not recommend something that works fine for me really pissed me off!:mad:

The owner/moderator of the site, Swanni also pulled the favorable review of the HR20 by Cnet.

If you feel this is a disservice to the HR20, please let Mr. Swanni know.

[email protected]

Thank you

· DBSTalk Club Member
367 Posts
If I had 2 lemons similar to others on this forum, I would not recommend it either. Mine has been pretty darn good so I would recommend but I can certainly understand folks that get one of the lemons. I wouldnt tell people to get one either.

· Registered
5,952 Posts
cawgijoe said:
I was checking out TVpredictions.com this morning and they have decided not to recommend the HR20 to anyone.

That really angered me. I realize that folks have had problems, but for the most part mine has been very stable and I have been very happy with it.

To just not recommend something that works fine for me really pissed me off!:mad:

The owner/moderator of the site, Swanni also pulled the favorable review of the HR20 by Cnet.

[email protected]

Thank you
The HR20 will sell itself on its own merits. They are out of stock.

I'm very happy with mine, and don't much care what some self-appointed internet guru says. That's why this site is so valuable. We have a pretty good sample and know what the issues are (and there ARE issues). On balance for MOST people, the good far outweighs the bad and the "bad" is being addressed.

I'd be more inclined to write the guy if the HR20s were piled up in warehouses and not selling. That's not the case.

· Icon
530 Posts
cawgijoe said:

[email protected]

Thank you
I don't think the fact that there are serious issues with the HR20 is a surprise. They do not affect everyone. But, if 9 in 10 didn't work good bt your's did...would you reccomend it? I doubt it.

Of course it is far less than a 90% fail rate.

Given that DirecTV has issued numerous updates and stability and reliability issues are apparently significant enough that DirecTv is still trying to resolve it by software releases and not replacing individual machines, I would say the issue is prevalent enough (and although asymptomatic, you might be a carrier) that a website may not feel comfortable reccomending that product.

What is the greater risk to credibility?

a)Reccomending a product which the compnay selling it is trying to fix many issues
b) Not Reccomending a product that works perfectly for the majority of users?

Don't take it as a personal afront.

Why are you angry a website won't recomend a product you neither designed, build or sell?

· Banned
1,199 Posts
cawgijoe said:

[email protected]

Thank you
What did you expect? He got two HR20s and neither of them worked. Imagine if the CNET reviewer had gotten one of the non-performing HR20s back in September. Same result. A negative review. Just check out the CNET user feedback on the machine, a 4.4 rating last time I looked (one of the lowest rated products on all of CNET).

Man, as Sargeant Hulka told the troops in Stripes, "Lighten up, Francis." I can't believe the number of people who defend D* like they owned the company. They (D* management) could care less about you. It's like defending a celebrity. They don't really care what you think, so get over it. The HR20 has had serious problems for a number of users (not sure how many, but enough to warrant 8 software downloads already), regardless of how yours performs.

As as for it being sold out as a sign of its success, that really means nothing, since they have held back on making them when the box went south early on. Sure they are sold out, they cut supply until they get the thing working, which makes perfect business sense.

· Registered
5,952 Posts
tstarn said:
What did you expect? He got two HR20s and neither of them worked. Imagine if the CNET reviewer had gotten one of the non-performing HR20s back in September. Same result. A negative review. Just check out the CNET user feedback on the machine, a 4.4 rating last time I looked (one of the lowest rated products on all of CNET).

As as for it being sold out as a sign of its success, that really means nothing, since they have held back on making them when the box went south early on. Sure they are sold out, they cut supply until they get the thing working, which makes perfect business sense.
With a greater than 10% chance of having some sort of problem, I certainly wouldn't recommend the HR20 to the "typical casual buyer" either. I would expect that is the site's target audience. I have specifically NOT recommended the HR20 to two of my close friends...they got H20s and are quite pleased. I still wouldn't recommend the HR20 to them.

I'd like to see your proof that D* cut supply...not opinion, not conjecture, not theory, proof. Unless you have better sources of information, your contention is no more valid than my first assumption, (that demand has outstripped supply "naturally" and not because of problems).

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Ah well....

He didn't want to report on OTA being activated...
He didn't want to report on ViiV being activated...

What cha gonna do...
Anyone going to turn their HR20 back in because Swani says No don't recommend it?

If he would have bothered to "look" around at this forum (which I know he is aware of), he would know getting a replacement HR20 would not have made a difference in the long run... as it is a software problem.

There are different ways you can say "no", I don't recommend the product.
Just like we do here.... Yes, I recommend it... but do know this.... No, I can't recommend it, because.... but...; In that scenerio, you may want to use....

The article doesn't acknowledge the rate at which DirecTV is releasing software updates (either good or bad about it).

Besides... it's funny... It is possible that the Baby New year, may have a gift under that big hat of his, that will drastically improve the IKD (Instant Keep or Delete)

But ah well.... TVPredictions is nothing more then a digital-magazine... And he is in the business of "selling" his point of view. Shame though, just as we make sure to give his site credit as much as possible when we "use" an article of his...

They yet to redirect people to other sources of information....

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
tstarn said:
As hasan pointed out... please throw out the facts that they cut production or supply.... They simply flat out underestimated initial demand in the early months... not a first for any other company (Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Mattel)

· Founder
17,247 Posts
Swanni is an interesting character. His opinions are a good read. Personally, and this is just my opinion, I take them at face value. In this case, he obviously hasn't done his homework especially with what has transpired with the HR20 over this past week.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Oh... and the "CNet" review angle he threw up there...

Just like any of the other blogs that allow any dick/jane/harry put their vote in... Even if they don't own one, have an axe to grind, ect...

Just like any poll here is "swayed" based on the user base... they are as well.

· Banned
1,199 Posts
hasan said:
With a greater than 10% chance of having some sort of problem, I certainly wouldn't recommend the HR20 to the "typical casual buyer" either. I would expect that is the site's target audience. I have specifically NOT recommended the HR20 to two of my close friends...they got HR20s and are quite pleased. I still wouldn't recommend the HR20 to them.

I'd like to see your proof that D* cut supply...not opinion, not conjecture, not theory, proof. Unless you have better sources of information, your contention is no more valid than my first assumption, (that demand has outstripped supply "naturally" and not because of problems).
Proof? Call it instinct, which, as you point out, is just as valid as your assertion.

It's the defending of D* that makes me laugh. I really get a kick out of people when they feel personally dissed over someone giving negative feedback (based on personal experience) about a product. It's completely illogical, as Mr. Spock would say.

· Registered
31,115 Posts
Despite some folks having less than stellar opinions of Mr. Swann, I have seen a long track record of him willing to post and accept contrasting viewpoints.

I'd be willing to bet he'll get contrasting positive feedback. There's tons of it on various message boards form hundreds of satisfied HR20 posters.

· Banned
1,199 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Oh... and the "CNet" review angle he threw up there...

Just like any of the other blogs that allow any dick/jane/harry put their vote in... Even if they don't own one, have an axe to grind, ect...

Just like any poll here is "swayed" based on the user base... they are as well.
True, but try and find a product with an average as low as 4.4 with nearly 100 users reporting. It won't be easy.

· Cool Member
21 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Ah well....

He didn't want to report on OTA being activated...
He didn't want to report on ViiV being activated...

What cha gonna do...
Anyone going to turn their HR20 back in because Swani says No don't recommend it?

He he would have bothered to "look" around at this forum (which I know he is aware of), he would know getting a replacement HR20 would not have made a difference in the long run... as it is a software problem.

There is different ways you can say "no", I don't recommend the product.
The article doesn't acknowledge the rate at which DirecTV is releasing corrected software (either good or bad about it).

Besides... it's funny... It is possible that the Baby New year, may have a gift under that big hat of his, that will drastically improve the IKD (Instant Keep or Delete)

But ah well.... TVPredictions is nothing more then a digital-magazine... And he is in the business of "selling" his point of view. Shame though, just as we make sure to give his site credit as much as possible when we "use" an article of his...

They yet to redirect people to other sources of information....
Earl, I, like many on this forum appreciate your insight and advice, but I have to take issue with your repeated "gift" and "Santa" references. We all paid for this box and we pay a lot each month to lease it. Functionality is not a gift, it's what we pay for. Directv is not gifting anything to anyone, it is merely delivering what we all bargained for late. Don't get me wrong, I love the daily exercise of finding out what new feature works (and dread the failures and RBRs). The CSR that sold me this box left out the part about being a guinea pig, but I'm wiser now and really hope that my HR20 and I can co-exist happily for years to come. I don't confuse Directv's fixes with gifts, however.

· Registered
31,115 Posts
tstarn said:
True, but try and find a product with an average as low as 4.4 with nearly 100 users reporting. It won't be easy.
There's a stat that is worthless.

I can show you 100 users with a "10" rating. Big deal.

Some people's glass is just always half empty. :rolleyes:

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
tstarn said:
No, but find another product that was "hated" the moment it was announced, because it was the replacement to a "beloved" product.

That was immediately dissed, before it was even possible for someone to have actually used it....

· Registered
31,115 Posts
MerckxMAd said:
Earl, I, like many on this forum appreciate your insight and advice, but I have to take issue with your repeated "gift" and "Santa" references.
The reference was to it being a pre-national release, available via download a few days early.

· Registered
31,115 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
No, but find another product that was "hated" the moment it was announced, because it was the replacement to a "beloved" product.

That was immediately dissed, before it was even possible for someone to have actually used it....
Ain't that the truth!

· Banned
1,199 Posts
Chris Blount said:
Swanni is an interesting character. His opinions are a good read. Personally, and this is just my opinion, I take them at face value. In this case, he obviously hasn't done his homework especially with what has transpired with the HR20 over this past week.
So he's supposed to recommend it, based on his experience? Tell me, when a professional hardware reviewer for a magazine/web site (Sound & Vision, etc.) reviews a product, and it performs poorly, does he then consult various forums to see what is happening? No, he/she writes their review based on their experience, which is what the CNET reviewer and the HDTV Magazoine reviewers initially did (one gave the HR20 a positive review, the other didn't, based on their experience).

And I can tell you, not too long ago, Phil Swann told people to be patient with the HR20, so he did give D* the benefit of the doubt. Homework? What would that be? If you read over the DBS Talk forum, there are plenty of annoyed/unhappy people with the HR20, just as there are satisfied customers. But it's definitely mixed, not heavily weighted one way or another. Right there you have data that says the HR20 has had issues from the beginning. Do you deny that? No matter how many attempts at fixing it, there are still bugs being reported, even with 10B.

His "no confidence" vote is based on his experience. What else should he use to make that call? Your experience?

1 - 20 of 170 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.