DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Legend
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was scheduled for install of HR20 on 10/10. He came, plugged everything in, and said the box is bad. Power light comes on and goes out. Returned today (10/11) with another HR20. Another bad box. Now does not know when the warehouse will get more HR20's, so I am on hold. This is frustrating, since I paid $200 for the box! Wouldn't one think that these boxes are tested by some QA person/department before they leave the factory?

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but he is waiting long enough for the unit to boot up, right?

The HR20 under the old software took about five minutes before it really showed you anything on the screen. I'd watch the component or S-video output initially for signs of life, as HDMI could have an issue.

·
Legend
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
paulman182 said:
This may be a dumb question, but he is waiting long enough for the unit to boot up, right?

The HR20 under the old software took about five minutes before it really showed you anything on the screen. I'd watch the component or S-video output initially for signs of life, as HDMI could have an issue.
He waited about 30 seconds to a minute and said "this box is dead" on both boxes. I am on the line with DTV now to have the guy come back, plug the box in, and wait.

One question for ya, once plugged in, do any lights flash, etc. or does that take awhile for that to happen too?

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
Yes, at least 5 minutes before it may appear anything happens. My first boot up took about 10 minutes total. Also connect up via component of S-video for the initial setup, not HDMI. Once you get the software update there will be more "feedback" earlier in the boot up.

Your installer doesn't know what he's doing if he thinks it's dead after 30 seconds.

·
Legend
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE:

I called DirecTV (spoke to Wally - thanks Wally!), and he conferenced me in with the installer (Ironwood). They insisted that the tech had waited long enough, and DirecTV told Ironwood that basically, the tech doesn't know what he is doing, and is requesting the tech re-visit and a lead be sent with him. I told them, all I want is for the tech to connect one of the "bad" boxes, and for the tech to wait 5-10 minutes. DirecTV understood, and completely agreed that it takes 5-10 for the box to boot, and are actually the ones who pushed Ironwood to get this done correctly. Ironwood kept saying well we need to get a new box out there and they are not in stock, so we will call you when it's in. I said, "I don't need a new box. There are 2 boxes that I do not think are bad sitting in that tech's truck. I just want the tech to come back out, plug the box in, and wait". DirecTV was with me all the way. I must say, they were not pleased with the installer. I am currently waiting for a return call from a "supervisor" at Ironwood, and dispatch said the tech should be out after 4:00pm (on my request - I want to be there).

I am not a person to complain, about anything. I usually just swallow whatever is fed to me. But I could not do that in this case, due to the simple nature of my request, and Ironwood's unwillingness to comply. Am I wrong?

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
You're not wrong. If the tech really was only waiting 30 sec then he's an idiot. It's been speculated that quite a few of the "DOA" reports are simply stupid techs not waiting long enough for the first boot process to take place. And this was a partial reason for an update a week ago or so that added more information screens on boot up. "Almost there..." "just a minute" and so forth now pop up. You won't see that on your box until it gets it's software update though.

·
Cool Member
18 Posts
Camaro305 said:
Am I wrong?
Not at all. I have been going through a similar situation with multiple visits by inept techs, trying to get the HR20 going. They love to blame the box, it seems. After going through two boxes, a "supervisor" came out (he really did sound like he knew his stuff but actually finished up recommending cable), but even he failed to find the real problem; he just blamed it on another false positive--the cable length. It was up to ME to find the real issue--an incompatible multiswitch installed in the garage (none of the other techs bothered to inspect the cable path).

Bottom line, my experience with Ironwood indicates that they wants to get in and out as quickly as possible. If they run into any issues, they just throw the ball back into D*'s court.

Good luck.

·
Legend
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, Ironwood returned last night as promised, and connected one of the "bad" boxes. When he plugged it in, he hit the "PWR" button on the remote, and voila, the DirecTV HD-DVR logo comes up. From this point it sits on this screen for at least 5 minutes, and then goes into it's setup phase. After everything is activated by the tech and DTV, I force a download of the new software. Tested things out, recorded a few things, and everything is working fine. Thanks to those who replied to me!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.