DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got Dish installed and haven't had to worry about rain fade (yet). If I find that rain fade is a problem, one thing that occurred to me is running two cables to the vip622 instead of current setup which uses a separator. Does the separator have a 3db drop like a splitter would? Would two (separate) cables give a better signal than one cable with a separator?

CM

·
Hall Of Fame
2,130 Posts
charlesm said:
Recently got Dish installed and haven't had to worry about rain fade (yet). If I find that rain fade is a problem, one thing that occurred to me is running two cables to the vip622 instead of current setup which uses a separator. Does the separator have a 3db drop like a splitter would? Would two (separate) cables give a better signal than one cable with a separator?

CM
Not clear if there is any drop in signal or not, but in general DPP with a seperator appears to be more relibable.

·
Premium Member
21,657 Posts
Probably depends on your configuration.

If, for instance, you run two cables directly to your 622 I would expect better results than 1 cable with separator to the same receiver. Maybe not enough to notice, but should be technically better for the lack of loss through the additional connection of the separator.

However, if your configuration would require use of a DP34 or DP44 or whatever switch in order to get 2 lines to your receiver... then I think it's a coin toss as to which would be better.

I hope that makes sense on the screen as much as it did in my head.

·
Legend
108 Posts
I ran some tests for Dish using side by side 622s. I tried using two separate coaxes from DPP Twin to one 622. And next, used one coax and Separator from each side of DPP Twin to two 622s. And reversing the coaxes on the output side of the separator(s) feeding Tuner 1 and Tuner 2 on the 622s. I never could tell the difference in picture quality or function. Now using Separator for 622 and other coax from DPP Twin used for DVR 510.

If there is a loss in the Separator, you normally would not notice it with the vy high signals levels most people get from the Birds. Maybe some of the puny sigs on 129 might be affected, but I doubt it. I get pretty good sigs from 129 in NE Texas, using a separate dish for the 129 LNB. I think most engineers on the forum would agree that even a 3db drop would not be noticed. After all, you should be getting 85 to 100+ on the meter from 110 and 119 - with a signal of 65 probably locking in the picture. What then is a few db between friends? Or Separators?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.