DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few weeks, I have had intermittent over heating issues with both of our H24-100 hd dvrs, but no issues with the H44. As a result, they initiate the cool down mode. Both H24s are out in the open for room air, so there are no air flow restrictions. Noticed one had a temp of 133f.

The only thing that seems common is a software push to these boxes around 2am on 11 Aug. We started noticing the overheating on the 12th. Have never noticed these issues in the 5+ yrs we have had theses boxes.

I looked on different forums and didn't notice others with the same issue. I did call Directtv, but their answer was that they haven't had any other reports like that and suggested I switch them out. I hesitated as it seems too much of a coincidence, plus I didn't want to lose our currently recorded shows.

Ironically, I have two H24-500 hd dvrs that I just recieved a few weeks ago. I had the mistaken belief that when I asked (had NFL package added for basically free) to have my existing H24's upgraded, I would receive either new or better dvrs. That didn't happen, received two h24-500s that were used and beat up. I just called earlier this week to return them so I wouldn't be committed to their so called upgrade.

So, I am waiting on a call back to see if there is a common software problem, or if both are simply failing and need to be replaced. If replaced, would like new, not used units as I am fine with the service. I am jumping to the 4K service at some point. I prefer having a genie and the extra dvrs....don't want all of our recordings on a single box.

·
This Space for Sale
7,466 Posts
You mean HR24s.

And there isn't anything newer than the HR24 w/o going to a Genie. They stopped making the HR24 several years ago. So whenever DIRECTV says they will replace or 'upgrade' those, they are talking about other HR24s, and those are going to be used HR24s (although I guess it is theoretical that there could be some brand new ones somewhere that haven't been installed yet).

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
jjlkpeterson said:
Over the last few weeks, I have had intermittent over heating issues with both of our H24-100 hd dvrs, but no issues with the H44. As a result, they initiate the cool down mode. Both H24s are out in the open for room air, so there are no air flow restrictions. Noticed one had a temp of 133f.

The only thing that seems common is a software push to these boxes around 2am on 11 Aug. We started noticing the overheating on the 12th. Have never noticed these issues in the 5+ yrs we have had theses boxes.

I looked on different forums and didn't notice others with the same issue. I did call Directtv, but their answer was that they haven't had any other reports like that and suggested I switch them out. I hesitated as it seems too much of a coincidence, plus I didn't want to lose our currently recorded shows.

Ironically, I have two H24-500 hd dvrs that I just recieved a few weeks ago. I had the mistaken belief that when I asked (had NFL package added for basically free) to have my existing H24's upgraded, I would receive either new or better dvrs. That didn't happen, received two h24-500s that were used and beat up. I just called earlier this week to return them so I wouldn't be committed to their so called upgrade.

So, I am waiting on a call back to see if there is a common software problem, or if both are simply failing and need to be replaced. If replaced, would like new, not used units as I am fine with the service. I am jumping to the 4K service at some point. I prefer having a genie and the extra dvrs....don't want all of our recordings on a single box.
Use your wet hand to see if you feel air blowing out of the receiver in the back. If you can not feel it, it could be clogged with dust or the fan is not running. You can use a shop vac or similar to suck out the dust from the grill work in the receiver. If the fan is not turning then you need a replacement.

If the fan is blowing, make sure that nothing is on top of the receiver. You can also use something to raise the receiver to allow more air underneath it to help keep it cool. I use some 1" square Styrofoam strips under the feet to raise mine.

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jimmie57 said:
Use your wet hand to see if you feel air blowing out of the receiver in the back. If you can not feel it, it could be clogged with dust or the fan is not running. You can use a shop vac or similar to suck out the dust from the grill work in the receiver. If the fan is not turning then you need a replacement.
I thought HR24-100's didn't have fans....I have already checked for dust bunnies and such, and blown both out with canned air.

Ironic that both units are having the same problem at the same time.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
jjlkpeterson said:
I thought HR24-100's didn't have fans....I have already checked for dust bunnies and such, and blown both out with canned air.

Ironic that both units are having the same problem at the same time.
H24 no fan,
HR24 has a fan and it is common for the fans to go out on them. There are many threads on fans going out. Some people even use a USB powered external fan to blow air on them and keep them cool. If I am not mistaken the internal fan has a rounded edge on one edge and kinda hard to find a replacement. Note that it is against their terms for you to open it up and work on it.

I have an HR24-100 and the new software and my internal temp is 113°.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
jimmie57 said:
H24 no fan,
HR24 has a fan and it is common for the fans to go out on them. There are many threads on fans going out. Some people even use a USB powered external fan to blow air on them and keep them cool. If I am not mistaken the internal fan has a rounded edge on one edge and kinda hard to find a replacement. Note that it is against their terms for you to open it up and work on it.

I have an HR24-100 and the new software and my internal temp is 113°.
My 24-100s seem to be fine. I gotta say I'm surprised the 24-100s are as good as they are. My experience with any HRs that end in 100 has been terrible. When I got my first 24-100 I wasn't happy. I thought it was gonna be another nightmare, but I've never had to replace a 24-100 and I do use one quite a bit. Good DVRs, never thought I'd say that about any 100.

Rich

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
trh said:
You mean HR24s.

And there isn't anything newer than the HR24 w/o going to a Genie. They stopped making the HR24 several years ago. So whenever DIRECTV says they will replace or 'upgrade' those, they are talking about other HR24s, and those are going to be used HR24s (although I guess it is theoretical that there could be some brand new ones somewhere that haven't been installed yet).
haven't seen a new HR24 in at least 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
This Space for Sale
7,466 Posts
peds48 said:
haven't seen a new HR24 in at least 3 years.
Men wearing tin-foil hats double-dog swear that there is a storage room in the CA offices of DIRECTV where they have a stash for executives working at DIRECTV. And apparently they are afraid that AT&T is going to find out and wonder why they haven't been sharing those brand-new HR24s with AT&T execs.

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
trh said:
Men wearing tin-foil hats double-dog swear that there is a storage room in the CA offices of DIRECTV where they have a stash for executives working at DIRECTV. And apparently they are afraid that AT&T is going to find out and wonder why they haven't been sharing those brand-new HR24s with AT&T execs.
I bet if those receivers even exits, techs would grab them first to replace their own crappy DVRs before they even get to customers.

·
Registered
9,492 Posts
jjlkpeterson said:
Over the last few weeks, I have had intermittent over heating issues with both of our HR24-100 hd dvrs, . . .
It's a known issue with the original HR24-100.

Apparently, it been fixed because my last replacement of a HR24-200 was a HR24-100.

·
This Space for Sale
7,466 Posts
I had 4 HR24s die from overheating in a 6-month period. After the 3rd one died, they sent an installer to see if there was something causing this at my house. I guess sealed in a box with no ventilation. There wasn't. Locations fully vented (2 were on wire shelves with nothing within 6 inches.

So I guess it could happen. If it was the software update, then I think we'd hear more complaints since that update was issued.

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
jjlkpeterson said:
So I just have the misfortune of failures of both boxes at the same time after five years...
I suppose it could be the software update caused them to work the CPU a little bit harder, and the additional heat took them over the failure threshold.

·
Registered
9,492 Posts
jjlkpeterson said:
So I just have the misfortune of failures of both boxes at the same time after five years...
When it's a known defect the odds of that happening drops way down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.