DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my 46" TV connected directly to the HD DVR and then I have my kitchen HDTV connected thru a cable. Ever since they did the new guide update I keep getting an error on the kitchen TV saying that the cable is not HD, but it is. I just bought it new. How do I get this msg to stop showing up?

· Hall Of Fame
2,396 Posts
My guess is he has a DirecTV DVR, in which case this should be moved to the DirecTV forum. The new guide update there gives the message the OP is getting. I'm also guessing the OP did not connect the affected TV via component or HDMI. If he does, and sets the TV to match the same HD resolution as the primary TV, then the message will go away.

· Hall Of Fame
2,396 Posts
You'll have to describe the cable and/or the box. The choices are coax (screws on), component (red/green/blue-red/white RCA cables), composite (red/white/yellow RCA cables) or HDMI (flat and about 1 inch wide). What is this box, an RF modulator (has coax out and red/white/yellow in, and you tune other tv to channel 3 or 4 to watch)?

5 Posts
I have the same set-up and had the same problem. My smaller kitchen TV was hooked up with composite cables. Swapped those out for component (would have done HDMI but the DVR only has one HDMI out :nono2:), and the HD guide works in both rooms fine.

· Godfather
663 Posts
cronimi said:
I have the same set-up and had the same problem. My smaller kitchen TV was hooked up with composite cables. Swapped those out for component (would have done HDMI but the DVR only has one HDMI out :nono2:), and the HD guide works in both rooms fine.
Monoprice has a 2x1 HDMI splitter for under $25:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8204&seq=1&format=2

I use this Monoprice 4x1 HDMI splitter to feed 3 HDTVs and it works great:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10113&cs_id=1011307&p_id=6192&seq=1&format=2

· Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
15,115 Posts
spartanstew said:
composite is not HD, so your set up will no longer work as it used to.

Call D* and complain.
Except that won't cure the problem.

OP: If you get an HDMI splitter as linked above, you can connect the second HD TV and you'll get rid of the message as well as have HD reception on that second set.

· Super Moderator
12,437 Posts
pahjnh said:
The little box says composite on it. There are the composite cables going into it with coaxile coming out. I am using an HD coaxile cable.
The "little box" appears to be an rf modulator that puts a signal out on channel 3 or 4 (which your other TV is tuned to). That is a standard definition signal. There is no economical way to send an HD signal over that same coax, so you can explore the following options.
1. Run either hdmi or component video/audio cables to the remote tv. That may or may not be an option depending on how far away it is, etc. If that might be an option, check www.monoprice.com for cables at reasonable cost.
2. Get a component video to composite video converter/adapter. There are a couple of threads here that discuss this option in depth. You still only get an SD picture at the remote TV, but by using the component video output of the DVR you will avoid the "not HD" message.
3. Get another receiver for the remote TV.

· Dry as a bone
12,321 Posts
Laxguy said:
Except that won't cure the problem.

OP: If you get an HDMI splitter as linked above, you can connect the second HD TV and you'll get rid of the message as well as have HD reception on that second set.
I doubt an HDMI splitter will cure the problem either. You really think he has HDMI running to the kitchen?

· Godfather
521 Posts
pahjnh said:
I have my 46" TV connected directly to the HD DVR and then I have my kitchen HDTV connected thru a cable. Ever since they did the new guide update I keep getting an error on the kitchen TV saying that the cable is not HD, but it is. I just bought it new. How do I get this msg to stop showing up?
The warning says that either your televison, or the cabling is not HD. I am guessing that the television is HD, but the connection (cabling) is SD (composite). You will need to connect the television to the receiver using HD wiring. If a DirecTV installer did this, contact them and explain the problem, requesting that he return and do it RIGHT this time.

· Broadcast Engineer
4,146 Posts
pahjnh said:
There is a workaround. If you are only watching in one room at a time, you can change the resolution output of the DVR. IOW, change the rez to 1080i when you want to watch in the LR and change it to 480i or 480p when you want to watch in the other room. You can also watch HD in SD on both at the same time if you go to 480i or 480p; probably not really what you had in mind, tho. And then you may get a "get the most out of HD" nag screen.

You must have "native" off, and it works best if you only activate 1080i and 480p (or 480i). Otherwise you have to mash that resolution button a bunch of times to cycle around.

You are a victim of progress. And as an "HD" subscriber, you get to pay them an extra $10 a month for the privilege of being irked by this. Legacy HD DVRs do not have the ability to handle both HD, SD, and downscaling of the HD GUI to SD, all at the same time, and once you try to do HD and SD at the same time, you get the nag screen in place of the GUI on the SD output.

When the GUI was SD pre-2012, there was no need to downscale it from HD to SD for the SD output (instead they upscaled the SD GUI to HD for the HD output), and for some unknown reason they can't just take the HD with a HD GUI overlay and downscale the entire thing to SD. Like I said; progress.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.