DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a HR21-700 from Directv and it takes 2 press of the On button to turn on. The TV turns on with the first press, and some time turns off on the second. Once the HR21 is on then all the buttons work normally.

Has anyone else seen this?

Do I have a wrong setting?

thanks
dave

software 255
single sat (need swm :) )

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
DeWolfe said:
I just received a HR21-700 from Directv and it takes 2 press of the On button to turn on. The TV turns on with the first press, and some time turns off on the second. Once the HR21 is on then all the buttons work normally.

thanks
dave

software 255
"Shouldn't" work that way.
How close/far apart are the TV and the HR21? You're using IR correct? IR is true "line of sight", so this sounds like you're more pointed toward the TV than the DVR.
Try setting the DVR to RF mode for the remote, then you don't need to point anywhere but at the TV.

· Icon
578 Posts
DeWolfe said:

thanks
dave

software 255
I've seen this with my new HR21-100. Sometimes it will turn on with the TV - usually not.

· Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
veryoldschool said:
"Shouldn't" work that way.
How close/far apart are the TV and the HR21? You're using IR correct? IR is true "line of sight", so this sounds like you're more pointed toward the TV than the DVR.
Try setting the DVR to RF mode for the remote, then you don't need to point anywhere but at the TV.
Pointed directly at the HR21 from about 3 feet away, still does it. Tried another remote it does it too. I also have an RF remote will try that.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
Do you have the same problem if you press the PWR button on the remote? If so, then it’s likely an IR signaling issue which may or may not be a problem in the HR2x’s sensor. If the PWR works, then my guess is the remote is acting flaky. You could try resetting it to factory defaults: with the slider in D* mode, press and hold MUTE + SELECT until the light blinks. Pres 981 and the light will blink several times. You will then need to reprogram the TV codes.

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
I haven't seen this since switching to RF, but with IR it happened several times (randomly). Sometimes my HR21 would turn on after pressing any key, even the volume control which is mapped to my A/V receiver.

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
veryoldschool said:
"Sometimes" LCD TVs will "swamp" the IR sensor as they emit a lot of IR.
Yup .. that could very well be it .. happens to me in certain configurations.

· Hall Of Fame
1,886 Posts
My HR21 occasionally exhibits this behavior. It will take two power button presses to turn on maybe 1/10 of the time. And in my case it doesn't matter whether it is from the remote or from the power button on the front of the box.

· Icon
819 Posts
Mine do this too. Since the directv remotes 'on' button seems to serve as a power toggle for both of our tvs (ie, pushing 'on' once makes the tv go on, push it again, tv goes off) we were having to go right up to the unit and hold the remote 1" in front of the dvr to have it go on without shutting the tv off.

We finally gave up and just left the dvr 'on' all the time and just used the 'on' button on the remote to toggle the tv on and off.

· Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A little more testing. I tried a second IR remote and it did it too. Tried RF does the same thing. Interestingly, it only seems to do this when it has been off for a while, like the HR21 goes in to some deep sleep mode.

No LCD, 42'' Pioneer plasma.

dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.