Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mentor
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

Has anyone else noticed that when viewing the EPG under P154, the clock DOES NOT change? It remains exactly the same time as when you selected "guide." If you, go back out and then hit "program" the time is correct but again doesn't change...

The other bug is when viewing the PVR event menu. Not entirely sure, but when you hit "resume" or "start", the select highlight scrolls through the enitre menu about once a second. Resume, Pause, Erase, Protect... Just keeps going. Anyone else? Didn't happen with P153...

·
Your Neighborhood Liasion
12,527 Posts
Press and hold the power button on the front panel of your 501 for 5 seconds. The red and green lights will cycle on, and then off. Release the button, and then the receiver will come back on. BTW, I've not had either of the things you mention happen with my 501 either.

·
12,527 Posts
Glad to hear it, Donger. Just file the procedure in the back of your mind, and when unexpected, unexplained things happen with your 501, do a reset first, and most times it will clear things up.

·
Mentor
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I spoke too soon. Try going into the system menu. Scroll through all the choices (Mail, System info, etc.), up and down, bask and forth, but hold down whatever button your are using. Then, let go. The cursor begins jumping back and forth, up and down by itself. After a few seconds, it stops. It is almost like the buttons on my remote are getting stuck, but I doubt that, not to mention this didn't happen until P154. It seems to happen on any screen with options (menu, PVR, timers, etc.) Can someone please try the above and see if they have the same issue?

·
12,527 Posts
I'll try it tonight. Do me a favor, Donger, and continue this discussion in the sticky P154 bugs thread at the top of the forum. We're trying to get all the bugs consolidated in one place for Dish to see.

·
Icon
844 Posts
Originally posted by Donger
Well, I spoke too soon. Try going into the system menu. Scroll through all the choices (Mail, System info, etc.), up and down, bask and forth, but hold down whatever button your are using. Then, let go. The cursor begins jumping back and forth, up and down by itself. After a few seconds, it stops. It is almost like the buttons on my remote are getting stuck, but I doubt that, not to mention this didn't happen until P154. It seems to happen on any screen with options (menu, PVR, timers, etc.) Can someone please try the above and see if they have the same issue?
I have a solution to this problem, but if you're someone who relies on the UHF capabilities of your remote, you won't like it. Remove the UHF antenna from the back of the receiver. I'll bet anything that that fixes your problem. Apparently, the "scrolling" bug happens when the receiver gets confused by both the UHF and IR signals it's receiving. By removing the UHF signals from the equation, this seems to go away.

Also, I have heard reports that locating the antenna away from the receiver (by putting 3 or 4 feet of RF Coax cable between the antenna and receiver) also fixes the problem and lets you keep the UHF functionality (and even improves UHF reception depending on where you relocate the antenna), but I haven't tried it so I can't say for certain.

I removed the antenna from my 501 and I've had no weird scrolling since.

-Lyle J.P.

·
Icon
955 Posts
Originally posted by Donger
The cursor begins jumping back and forth, up and down by itself. After a few seconds, it stops. It is almost like the buttons on my remote are getting stuck...
When this type of behavior occurs you should try resetting the remote control. This has always worked so far for my customers.

Remove the batteries then press & hold the Power button for about 10 seconds. (I usually do this twice to make absolutely sure the memory charge is drained.) Then replace the batteries and start over. Of course you will have to reprogram the remote w/the codes for your TV, VCR, etc.

·
12,527 Posts
Just to close this out - Donger, I don't have the cursor jumping back and forth problem like you describe, but I also don't use uhf to control my 501 - I use the IR with a pronto.

·
Mentor
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Excellent suggestions! I'm glad that I'm not going nuts, although I was worried for it while! I'll try removing the antenna first; then, if that doesn't work, I'll try the remote reset. Thanks again. DBSTalk is a tremendous resource. My best to you all!!!

·
1 Posts
Hi,

I used to experience the exact problem you described regarding the cursor jumping around. I have a single receiver feeding multiple TV's, and I noticed it especially when I was controlling the unit from another room in the house. I added a length of coaxial cable between the receiver and the UHF antenna and moved the antenna a little ways from the receiver, and have not had any problems since. Give it a shot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.