DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mentor
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 HD DVRs. One HR21-200, one HR20-700 and two HR22-100s.
For several months when I start to playback recorded programs they start a minute or two into the program so I have to back it up to see the beginning.

It is not a problem with the recording starting late it is just that playback starts part way into the program.

The next problem is with the screensaver randomly starting while watching live. I searched for an answer to this but only found reports from other people having the same thing with no solution.

Another problem is sometimes I get a message saying that a recording is about to start which I could understand if two recordings were scheduled to start on two channels I am not watching but this happens when only one recording is scheduled. Has anyone else seen this?

·
Dry as a bone
12,566 Posts
The shows are actually starting on time, but the DVR's automatically record a padding at the beginning of shows (if available), which is why you can rewind it. Many shows actually start a bit before they're supposed to (i.e. a 7:00 show might start at 6:59:30).

I've had the screensaver start when it wasn't supposed to, but only a couple of times and it's been probably a year since it's happened.

As to the recording message, were you using DoublePlay at the time?

·
Mentor
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
spartanstew said:
The shows are actually starting on time, but the DVR's automatically record a padding at the beginning of shows (if available), which is why you can rewind it. Many shows actually start a bit before they're supposed to (i.e. a 7:00 show might start at 6:59:30).
Yes, I realize the show is starting on time, my question is why do I need to rewind to get to the start? I never had this happen until the last few months and I have been using Directv dvrs for years ever since I traded out my Tivos.:confused:

I've had the screensaver start when it wasn't supposed to, but only a couple of times and it's been probably a year since it's happened.
It has been happening to me several times a day since I got the HD GUI<

As to the recording message, were you using DoublePlay at the time?
No, I never use DoublePlay!

·
Dry as a bone
12,566 Posts
Yes, I realize the show is starting on time, my question is why do I need to rewind to get to the start? I never had this happen until the last few months and I have been using Directv dvrs for years ever since I traded out my Tivos.

You're not understanding what I said. The show is starting PLAY right when it's supposed to (i.e. 7:00). The fact that you have to rewind to get to the beginning, is because the show actually started EARLY (i.e. 6:59:30). The DVR's automatically account for this when they can. If they didn't, you would miss the beginning of many shows that start EARLY. pre-padding is a feature.

You never had to do it before, perhaps because those shows weren't starting EARLY before and now they are, for whatever reason.

·
Godfather
331 Posts
The screensaver problem while watching live tv happened to me last night for the first time.

I've also had the message that a program is about to record when only one was scheduled once since the new HDGUI was released. It might have accidentally started double play tho...

·
Broadcast Engineer
4,153 Posts
spartanstew said:
Yes, I realize the show is starting on time, my question is why do I need to rewind to get to the start? I never had this happen until the last few months and I have been using Directv dvrs for years ever since I traded out my Tivos.

You're not understanding what I said. The show is starting PLAY right when it's supposed to (i.e. 7:00). The fact that you have to rewind to get to the beginning, is because the show actually started EARLY (i.e. 6:59:30). The DVR's automatically account for this when they can. If they didn't, you would miss the beginning of many shows that start EARLY. pre-padding is a feature.

You never had to do it before, perhaps because those shows weren't starting EARLY before and now they are, for whatever reason.
Stew, maybe there is a problem in how the question was originally phrased. But that's still a good answer.

Put another way, if that can help at all, the reason we can rewind is because there is padding (and I think the OP understood that part), but the reason we have to rewind is because DTV opted to start the playback at the point where the padding ends and the normal recording begins, as you pointed out. So, I think we are all on the same page.

That's a decision I agree with, BTW; I think having it start at the expected record time (but still having the option to go back a little bit) is more convenient, and every time I have to rewind it makes me more thankful that DTV was clever enough to think of this exclusive(?) feature in the first place, which I think is not just some small bell or whistle but on the contrary is a critical and expected main feature that would be a deal-breaker were it not offered by a theoretical competing DVR or competing program vendor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.