DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· AllStar
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just moved into a new office at a corporate highrise building and am lucky enough to get DirecTV service and HR21 DVR provided by my employer.

I have no idea what kind of master dish is on the roof but our company has to pay the landlord a fee for every line they put into an office, so naturally they only sprung for one cable drop to connect to the DVR. Is there any way to split this so it can feed both tuners? I assume it can't be done using your standard Radio Shack grade 2-way cable splitter, otherwise everyone would do that, right?

I don't understand satellite technology well enough to know why signals can or can't be split a certain way, but I'm adept enough to buy the right parts and crimp on some cable ends if somebody can tell me what's needed. My employer would have no problem with me hooking up the second tuner as long as they don't have to pay the building for a second cable drop. Do I have any options here?

· Hall Of Fame
1,489 Posts
Search this forum for SWM or single wire multi-switch.

· Legend
163 Posts
You can't split it at the wall. If the cable coming out of the wall is connected to an swm then you will have 2 tuners available. If it is not, then you will only have 1 tuner. You can't do anything about it yourself without access to the 4 lines coming from the dish.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
mickcris said:
You can't split it at the wall. If the cable coming out of the wall is connected to an swm then you will have 2 tuners available. If it is not, then you will only have 1 tuner. You can't do anything about it yourself without access to the 4 lines coming from the dish.
My understanding of how a SWM works is that it *CAN* be split at the wall. From want I have learned, a SWM can handle a set number of tuners. For example, a SWM8 puts the data streams from any combination of 8 transponders on its output. Every tuner on the cable then has access to any of those 8 data streams. As the channel is changed and data from a new transponder is needed, the tuner sends the SWM a request for it. The SWM does not worry about which tuner needs which stream; all streams are output on the cable. The cable can be split as needed using appropriately rate splitters. Of course every cascaded splitter will reduce the signal quality, so that needs to be considered. And you have to know not to put more tuners on a SWM than it can handle. The OP is likely in an MDU, and in that case, putting too many tuners on the SWM is not an issue as only the MDU operator can authorized active receivers. D* knows this by address and will not allow individual subs to add their own receivers without involvement from the operator.

· Godfather
367 Posts
mickcris point was that he would need access to the line prior to entering the building. The SWM can't magically take one feed and create multiple outbound feeds. In any case, you only split if you're feeding multiple receivers. The single line coming out of the wall wouldn't be split for only one box, even feeding two tuners. The "split" is internal to the box in this instance.

But yes, as others have now said, if he can access the rooftop dish, AND can get access to 4 lines to feed an SWM5/8, AND hes not being fed from a stacked 101 system, then this can be done.

· AllStar
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I can't access the rooftop dish. It's a big building and I believe it's totally wired for DirecTV although I can't be certain if it's on every floor. I'm sure it's a top-of-the-line installation though, the owners spare no expense on that kind of infrastructure.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
Teronzhul said:
mickcris point was that he would need access to the line prior to entering the building. The SWM can't magically take one feed and create multiple outbound feeds. In any case, you only split if you're feeding multiple receivers. The single line coming out of the wall wouldn't be split for only one box, even feeding two tuners. The "split" is internal to the box in this instance.

But yes, as others have now said, if he can access the rooftop dish, AND can get access to 4 lines to feed an SWM5/8, AND hes not being fed from a stacked 101 system, then this can be done.
Gotcha. I misread the post and thought he was talking about being in a high-rise condo and assumed he'd be in an MDU situation. We have a condo at the beach and it's the same situation as mickcris's. It's not a SWM, and the building management charges per connection. The monthly rental fee for four connections to the dish would cost us about half what we pay for cable (which also includes Internet). Give that we don't watch that much TV there, we've opted for (gulp) cable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.