DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
AllStar
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to move from D* because of HD line of sight issues, and this 2 tv's one box is confusing the mess out of me.

Right now, I've got 2 Directivos serving 2 separate tvs and 2 plain old receivers running the other 2 rooms. I can record 4 things at one time and watch the 2 other tvs with different things running. PLEASE UNDERSTAND this is the extreme, and I do not ever do this, it's just what I'm used to.

Can someone explain to me the process of running two TVs from one box? I assume that limits the ability to record two things at once, and watch something recorded. If the other TV is not being watched at the time, do the dual tuners work like I'm used to? Does the second tv access the same list of recordings? I'm lost - can someone please help.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,911 Posts
jrr4 said:
Can someone explain to me the process of running two TVs from one box?
The ViP622 has two satellite tuners and one OTA tuner (and it is active).
I assume that limits the ability to record two things at once, and watch something recorded.
You can actually record programming on all three tuners and watch two pre-recorded programs!
If the other TV is not being watched at the time, do the dual tuners work like I'm used to?
The tuners aren't dedicated. There can be issues if tuners are tied up with recordings.
Does the second tv access the same list of recordings?
Yep.

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
One thing to add to the above... in case you haven't searched and read about the Vip622 by now.

The OTA tuner is only directly viewable on the main TV. The 2nd TV cannot tune to the OTA channels... but if you record something from OTA, you can watch the recording on the 2nd TV.

I think I said that right.

·
Banned
989 Posts
HDMe said:
One thing to add to the above... in case you haven't searched and read about the Vip622 by now.

The OTA tuner is only directly viewable on the main TV. The 2nd TV cannot tune to the OTA channels... but if you record something from OTA, you can watch the recording on the 2nd TV.

I think I said that right.
Basically, he means that you can watch LIVE OTA programming ONLY on TV1. You can watch RECORDED OTA programming on either TV.

·
AllStar
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the standard DVR the same way? It can record two things at once as long no one is watching the other TV. I'm usually smarter than this, but 11 years of D* has me stuck in my thinking. Whats the downside of this setup? I want to make sure when I place my order, I'm getting the right thing.

·
Banned
989 Posts
jrr4 said:
Is the standard DVR the same way? It can record two things at once as long no one is watching the other TV. I'm usually smarter than this, but 11 years of D* has me stuck in my thinking. Whats the downside of this setup? I want to make sure when I place my order, I'm getting the right thing.
The 625 can record two separate programs at once. At the same time, you can watch two recorded programs at the same time. So, you can be recording on TV1 and TV2 and be watching two separate recorded programs on TV1 and TV2 all at the same time.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,712 Posts
jrr4 said:
but 11 years of D* has me stuck in my thinking. Whats the downside of this setup? I want to make sure when I place my order, I'm getting the right thing.
OK, let's look at it the other way. For sake of this discussion, let's forget about the 2 plain receivers you don't really need & forget about HD...

Right now with the 2 D-Tivo's you have now, you have the capability of recording TWO different shows on EACH box, while STILL watching a 3rd one. (or for recording one show while watching ANOTHER live show) Also, keep in mind that D* is only charging you the $6 DVR fee ONCE for both units. (unless you have the TC Premier pak, which I assume you don't now)

Now, let's look at what happens if you go with ONE 625 - you only get ONE tuner for each set & if each of those tuners are in use recording something, you can ONLY watch something pre-recorded on the DVR. Each TV could NOT watch another LIVE show, or perhaps record a 2nd show. (think about how many times you might have conflicts with TWO shows being on at the same time & wanting to DVR BOTH at once)
OK, so let's say you would maybe like to get two of the 625 units, so that you would have 4 tuners just like your setup now. Fine, but you'll be paying an extra $6 more for a 2nd DVR fee, because E* charges it PER DVR, not per account like D*. (again, unless you have their Everything Pak)
BTW - do you have a phone hookup to your satellite receivers? If so, no problem, but if you don't, then E* will charge you an extra $5 monthly on each 625 for a "no phone line" charge for the 2nd tuner. (I'm not going to discuss why they do this, other than it's a "because they can" fee - you'll have to decide for yourself)

Bottom line - if you think you can get by with only 1 tuner for each room, then you'll save a little money each month going to E*, but if you want dual-tuners for BOTH rooms & don't have a phone line, the monthly costs will go up. Personally, most of my customers can't imagine only having 1 tuner for each DVR, (2 tuners total) when they can have two for only $5 more a month & can watch/record 4 live shows at once. (4 tuners total) ;)

·
Hall Of Fame
1,712 Posts
jrr4 said:
I'm looking to move from D* because of HD line of sight issues
HEY, something that none of us mentioned to you - you ARE aware that the orbital slots (ie: the spots in the sky) where E* transmits the bulk of it's prog, is the SAME slots that D* uses for HD prog. (BOTH providers have birds co-located on the 110 & 119 slots) If you are having problems getting D* HD, you will have an ever harder time getting pretty much ANYTHING from E*.

Now OTOH, the new MPEG4 birds that D* uses are located directly on either side of the 101 (main) D* bird. While this will NOT get you the national HD channels, it would get you your MPEG4 HD locals thru the dish.

You might want to rethink this whole thing, as well as researching your options for your particular situation, as far as dish location goes. ;) ;)

·
AllStar
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dishrich said:
HEY, something that none of us mentioned to you - you ARE aware that the orbital slots (ie: the spots in the sky) where E* transmits the bulk of it's prog, is the SAME slots that D* uses for HD prog. (BOTH providers have birds co-located on the 110 & 119 slots) If you are having problems getting D* HD, you will have an ever harder time getting pretty much ANYTHING from E*.

Now OTOH, the new MPEG4 birds that D* uses are located directly on either side of the 101 (main) D* bird. While this will NOT get you the national HD channels, it would get you your MPEG4 HD locals thru the dish.

You might want to rethink this whole thing, as well as researching your options for your particular situation, as far as dish location goes. ;) ;)
Uh Oh - The area where I have the problem is the 119. I can get the other 4 slots with D*. It was my understanding (I think from this board - I may be wrong) that the E* would be in a different location.

I CANNOT go to Time Warner Cable.....

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,911 Posts
dishrich said:
HEY, something that none of us mentioned to you - you ARE aware that the orbital slots (ie: the spots in the sky) where E* transmits the bulk of it's prog, is the SAME slots that D* uses for HD prog.
This is true of some of the HD locals, but most of the E* national content is on 61.5 or 129. This is how E* manages to have almost three times the HD channel count.

Certainly, if you've got problems seeing DirecTV birds spread 20 degrees across the sky, you'll have similar or worse problems with Dish Network.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,911 Posts
jrr4 said:
Uh Oh - The area where I have the problem is the 119.
Regardless of provider you'll want to be able to see 110 and 119.

DirecTV: 99, 101, 103, 110, 119

Dish: 110, 119, 129 (West) or 61.5, 110, 119 (East, two dishes)

·
Hall Of Fame
1,712 Posts
harsh said:
This is true of some of the HD locals, but most of the E* national content is on 61.5 or 129.
Yes, but his SD national content is still on 110/119 - I don't think he's gonna be satisfied paying for a metalic pkg & NOT getting ANY of the SD content. ;) ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.