DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my wireless bridge scheduled to be delivered sometime today, and I am looking foward to connecting for music, etc. One thing has me worried, however. As we know, D* reps scan these forums. I do not have a Viiv pc, and I have no intention of buying a new PC anytime soon. I intend to use Twonky, but how long will it take for the D* programers to see that we are all getting around the Intel deal using Twonky and they somehow disable that ability? :confused: :eek2:

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
islesfan said:
I have my wireless bridge scheduled to be delivered sometime today, and I am looking foward to connecting for music, etc. One thing has me worried, however. As we know, D* reps scan these forums. I do not have a Viiv pc, and I have no intention of buying a new PC anytime soon. I intend to use Twonky, but how long will it take for the D* programers to see that we are all getting around the Intel deal using Twonky and they somehow disable that ability? :confused: :eek2:
They probably don't care.

So long as they conform to the Intell ViiV specifications.....

·
AllStar
70 Posts
I was kind of hoping no one would bring that up. It's a distinct possibility that they'll decide to lock out non-viiv applications. However, that would not do a lot for customer happiness though. You'd have to be nuts to shell out for a new Viiv computer just to get streaming music and video. Especially when all you really have to do is buy Apple Airport or one of Logitech's streaming devices for $100. Not a whole lot you can do about it. If they do it, they could kill it next week, month, or year. This one's a crap shoot.

·
Legend
175 Posts
What have you got to lose? Use twonky and be happy - and if they *someday* lock it down to only true-Viiv, deal with the issue at that time. Who knows, by the time D* would get around to doing that, every computer sold might be Viiv, and you might have already upgraded.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
I got Twonky installed configured and my HR20 saw it. When I went to select it on my HR20 it froze when choosing the server name under computers. I am now in the middle of a RBR. This worked.

I am now playing my 2nd song in a row. Two more and I will surpass the best I was ever able to do with WMP11

Fingers crossed

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
I have now played 6 songs in a row. I think Twonky might be the answer here. The shuffle feature actually seems to be working with Twonky as well.

Mixer said:
I got Twonky installed configured and my HR20 saw it. When I went to select it on my HR20 it froze when choosing the server name under computers. I am now in the middle of a RBR. This worked.

I am now playing my 2nd song in a row. Two more and I will surpass the best I was ever able to do with WMP11

Fingers crossed

·
Legend
212 Posts
Mixer said:
I have now played 6 songs in a row. I think Twonky might be the answer here. The shuffle feature actually seems to be working with Twonky as well.
I noticed this morning, that M/S downloaded a new update for WMP11. Could someone who had a problem with it playing only 4 songs before disconnecting check this out and report back to us?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
I may have spoken too soon. Earlier I was able to play an entire folder (16 songs) with Twonky. Now I just went to my All Foldrs option and put it on shuffle and it stopped after about the 4th song. Will try again with just one folder and see what happens. There must be limitations that we have yet to figure out. The more we test it though the more we will learn and I am glad there are so many people that want to troubleshoot and work it out.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Mixer said:
I may have spoken too soon. Earlier I was able to play an entire folder (16 songs) with Twonky. Now I just went to my All Foldrs option and put it on shuffle and it stopped after about the 4th song. Will try again with just one folder and see what happens. There must be limitations that we have yet to figure out. The more we test it though the more we will learn and I am glad there are so many people that want to troubleshoot and work it out.
Where you looking at pictures while playing music or did you have up normal TV in the background?

There is an active discussion underway on the ViiV features thread you may find interesting.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
The image of a TV show was running at the same time. I was not even awar that you could do photos and music at the same time with Twonky....LOL

Radio Enginerd said:
Where you looking at pictures while playing music or did you have up normal TV in the background?

There is an active discussion underway on the ViiV features thread you may find interesting.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
baimo said:
its going to take a lot of updates to get this media networking running properly
What makes you think its going to take a lot of updates?

·
Legend
191 Posts
Any viiv experts on here? A simple question. On my PC running the Viiv test program from the Intel site, the processor passes the viiv test, the chipset passes the viiv check, my network fails the viiv test but is of the same series (Intel Pro/1000 PL - on the board instead of a separate card) and the PC doesn't pass the Viiv software test as it doesn't have any viiv software loaded.

If I download and load the viiv software will it flat refuse to load, or will it function anyways? Just thought I'd ask the experts before I venture too far.

·
DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,011 Posts
Guys,

The alternative to this is a small thing called XBox360. Funny that Intel/MS are combining on ViiV when MS already is attacking this market with XBox360. The very same discussions are on the XBox website....they can serve up Pics & Music and guess what....even Video....thru TVersity. I sincerely hope D* DOES read this forum and while they are doing the Intel/MS dance they realize they guys are their competitors....not their enablers. For me, very simple....I have HR20 and would love to have it connect to my home PC (HTPC) to serve up movies, pics, music, etc....especially since D* is in the media biz. Anyway, they could easily do this without going thru Intel/MS and just work with Tversity. I'm sure all the HR20 enthusiasts like myself would pay $29 for TVersity software to enable a clean/easy link to the PC if there was a clear effort/compatibility with HR20.

Anyway, my two cents. Sometime after the 1st of the year I will buy a XBox360 and at that point D* loses me as using their HR20 as a center point on my network and relegate it to just another client box. I'm mentioning this to not complain.....I just see an incredible opp for D* and hope they are not drinking the Intel/MS coolaid. I should know....I used to work for Intel.

·
DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,011 Posts
fishingham said:
Any viiv experts on here? A simple question. On my PC running the Viiv test program from the Intel site, the processor passes the viiv test, the chipset passes the viiv check, my network fails the viiv test but is of the same series (Intel Pro/1000 PL - on the board instead of a separate card) and the PC doesn't pass the Viiv software test as it doesn't have any viiv software loaded.

If I download and load the viiv software will it flat refuse to load, or will it function anyways? Just thought I'd ask the experts before I venture too far.
Don't try to "hack" your PC into a ViiV state. This is a losing battle. Intel/MS are and will continue to close the noose on this. Either buy-in and get a ViiV/MCE computer or look for other ways/avenues to serve they functions with using a standard computer. There is alot of efforts out there...just Google Media ure UPnP Server. Companies like TwonkyVision and Tversity show up....many others.
Alot of reading. :)

·
Legend
191 Posts
I was figuring it wouldn't work so well. I'm just putzing around with this as I already have and use an IODATA Avelink Player which does audio, video, and internet to the TV just fine from and via my MCE PC. It was just a thought worth asking...

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Can someone write out a Twonky for dummies? I'm not sure if it's because I got the trial or what but I can't get it to work. My HR20's network test runs fine so I know there's connectivity. I think it's user error on the PC side. I pulled down the add-on packs also and installed them like I thought it said but no dice. Any Twonky for dummies would be greatly appreciated!

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
I am using the trial version. It is fully functional for 30 days, some say past 30 days so I am sure the trial version is not your problem.

When you installed it did you select to have twonky run as a service? If not install again and make sure you do this time. Next make sure that you reboot and when you do the service should start and will be in the systray. You may also need to RBR the HR20. I also checked windows firewall to make sure that the port that Twonky uses (can'recall right now) is not blocked.

Hope that helps.

tfederov said:
Can someone write out a Twonky for dummies? I'm not sure if it's because I got the trial or what but I can't get it to work. My HR20's network test runs fine so I know there's connectivity. I think it's user error on the PC side. I pulled down the add-on packs also and installed them like I thought it said but no dice. Any Twonky for dummies would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
tfederov said:
Make sure you put the plugins in the cgi-bin directory. Use the file search to find it, but it should be c:\Program Files\twonkyvision\cgi-bin.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.