DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i have a question. my girlfriend has a friend that, i think, lives in a very rural area. i really never asked her about that but he was telling her that he has internet that uses the same phone towers, what type of internet is that? i dont think ive heard of it...can anyone enlighten me.

its not isdn or dial-up.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
turey22 said:
hello i have a question. my girlfriend has a friend that, i think, lives in a very rural area. i really never asked her about that but he was telling her that he has internet that uses the same phone towers, what type of internet is that? i dont think ive heard of it...can anyone enlighten me.

its not isdn or dial-up.
it could be either wireless, or cell phone based.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Could be mobile cellular broadband from Sprint, Verizon or AT&T.

·
Icon
669 Posts
Most Cell Companies also offer dedicated cards that you can put in a Laptop or connect via USB. From what I understand some laptops even have them built in.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Actually depending on where you are the speeds can be quite good. There's a high degree of latency but straight download speeds in the Los Angeles Area for AT&T are about 350k with the right phone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.