DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Banned
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only place I could see the U.S. Open Tennis Final was where D* shows a Sports Mix. That is only supposed to be used to find what channel you are interested in so you can go there. The view of each channel is so small you do well to tell what is on each channel! D* said due to the last minute change in the Tournament they didn't have time to move the Final anywhere. CBS and USA channels both just had regular programming in my area. However, the change wasn't so last minute that the cable companies in my area couldn't find a place to put the Open. There was a message running across the bottom of the CBS Channel screen telling people what channels to go to depending on what cable they had! D* the Sports Leader shame on you :raspberry

· Registered
24,401 Posts
Uh, Thats your local broadcasters fault... I saw it on CBS here in LA. Your local affiliate should have picked it up. I'm surprised they didn't. I can't believe it when a station will preempt a major sporting event like that for a soap... They should do like LA does, and reshow the episode at 2am...

· Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
Dolly said:
D* the Sports Leader shame on you :raspberry
As was pointed out, DirecTV is not at fault, your local CBS affiliate was, and that is where you should direct your negative feedback.

I saw the match on our local CBS channel, sorry that you missed it, Dolly.

· Registered
24,401 Posts
Dolly, if it makes you feel any better... Just picture Rodger acting like his old self (FINALLY) and Murry actually looking tired and way in over his head as the match went on... It was not like Nadal and Rodger at Wimbeldon...

· DBSTalk Club Member
49 Posts
Houston just saw Oprah and the local news. I was not amused. Had to watch it streaming from the web but missed half the match by the time I got home to find out it was recording Oprah and not the Open.

Absurd.

· Hall Of Fame
12,954 Posts
Sounds like the CBS station in Almost Heaven put the match on a subchannel. If you have an antenna, Dolly, you probably could have watched it in glorious SD.

That is my best guess. They were just telling you what channels the sub channel is on. I seriously doubt they arranged with multiple cable systems to add a channel for this event at such a late time.

DirecTV does not do sub channels but they do support OTA for subchannels.

That was very stupid of your local station.

· Godfather
274 Posts
jhindmon said:
Houston just saw Oprah and the local news. I was not amused. Had to watch it streaming from the web but missed half the match by the time I got home to find out it was recording Oprah and not the Open.

Absurd.
Agreed. Why am I not suprised about Houston's choices in programming? "Well, why would be preempt Oprah with tennis?"

Ugh. :ramblinon

· AllStar/Supporter
886 Posts
I called to complain to my local CBS station, who said it was on cable (one of their sub-channels. I get the sub-channels OTA, but it didn't do any good for my DVR recording that I'd had running since 4 p.m. Didn't get home until almost 6, so I missed almost all of it too. Caught the last few points off usopen.org. Told the CBS station that some people aren't interested in having cable!!

· Banned
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Charise said:
I called to complain to my local CBS station, who said it was on cable (one of their sub-channels. I get the sub-channels OTA, but it didn't do any good for my DVR recording that I'd had running since 4 p.m. Didn't get home until almost 6, so I missed almost all of it too. Caught the last few points off usopen.org. Told the CBS station that some people aren't interested in having cable!!
That was my point that it was on cable. And I don't have OTA. However, I agree "some people aren't interested in having cable!!" And I am one of them. D* now gets a pass on this from me since Roger won :raspberry Sorry to any of Roger's fans out there, but I don't like the guy and never have. He's still acting like he is the World's Number One ranked player, but he isn't. And winning the U.S. Open didn't give him the #1 ranking back!

· Hall Of Fame
12,954 Posts
Dolly said:
That was my point that it was on cable. And I don't have OTA. However, I agree "some people aren't interested in having cable!!" And I am one of them. D* now gets a pass on this from me since Roger won :raspberry Sorry to any of Roger's fans out there, but I don't like the guy and never have. He's still acting like he is the World's Number One ranked player, but he isn't. And winning the U.S. Open didn't give him the #1 ranking back!
No. You are missing the point. DirecTV doesn't need a pass. It was your stupid local channel who is to blame. Even those who got it on cable were getting SD only because they didn't care about tennis fans.

· Godfather
325 Posts
In Cincinnati, tennis was also moved to a subchannel. The main CBS channel showed their local news at 6, followed by some goofy children's science show that the local meteorologist made (since CBS Evening News probably wasn't available to be shown at 6:30). Luckily, Directv carries the subchannel 12.2 on channel 25 since that is also the CW so tennis was still available. Unfortunately, the decisions of many local CBS stations left a lot of people in the dark.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.