DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 81 Posts
Rogernet said:
New Question for the UHD Dish Network experts July 5, 2015:

I am planning to buy the next 4K gen Sony Bravia XBR-55X900C when it ships out to
all retailers and Amazon on July 10th. It does support HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 and passive
3D. I currently have an ancient Dish Vip612 receiver which has supported my Sony Bravia 1080p KDL52W41
well for the past 7 years. It still works well today for my single HDMI 1080 HDTV and another 40" Bravia via RGB
component cable.

1. Will the Vip612 support my new 4K Sony Bravia at least temporarily until I upgrade? What, if any limitations
will I have with this old receiver?

2. What is the recommended Dish Upgrade receiver for single room 4K UHDs? What about the new 4K Joey?
The Hopper is overkill and too expensive for my needs, but I do want a good receiver for my new UHD.

Thanks for any recommendations......
That was a concern to me also,everything will work OK,depending on what you will use your 4K UHDTV for most, you may want to checkout the 4K UHDTV reviews at www.rtings.com
The new 4K UHDTVs are a new technology that should surprise and astound you with the upconverted picture you will see,I know it did me as my Vizio 4K UHDTV upconverts everything.
Good Luck!

Dish service tech told me last week the Hopper will support 4K assuming the cabling is adequate. Since my Hopper and cable were installed in February I shouldn't have a problem. It's only the Joeys that currently won't handle 4K.

BillJ said:
Dish service tech told me last week the Hopper will support 4K assuming the cabling is adequate.
Service techs aren't typically a reliable resource for engineering information.

Neither Hopper is capable of UHD as both employ a BCM742x series SoC that does NOT include UHD in its feature set.

DBordello said:
Any word on the 4k Joey? Plenty of us have internet connections that could handle 4k.
No recent word. If there were news of importance, you'd surely see it on the front page of DBSTalk.

Capable hardware doesn't necessarily bring compelling content as 3D (and more recently UHD) has taught us.

Jhon69 said:
I believe that all of you are correct that what I see is not True 4K UHD,but on the other side I know that where I live I will never have enough internet speed to stream 4K UHD anyways,I also know that Dish will probably never have their regular channels in 1080p simply because of bandwith restrictions not to mention what the cost would be for Dish to try and bring down True 4K UHD from their satellites since that would be(I'm guessing here) twice the bandwith of a 1080p signal.
So for me it's fake 4K UHD?I can live with that setup mainly because I have all my signals OTA&Satellite coming in my Dish receiver and being fake upconverted to 1080i,then running them through HDMI to my HDMI input into my fake 4K Vizio M55-C2 UHDTV upconversion.
In all honesty what ever they did to make this fake 4K UHD upconversion,it actually is an awesome picture to watch and after watching 1080i and 1080p for 4 years,this is a better picture even if it's a fake 4K UHD.
This is the most important piece of info in this thread to me. I don't care how or why upconverting cannot make 4K resolution - we all know that. I only want to know whether the picture from Dish on a 2015 UHD is as good or better than it was on an HD set. As we know from some SD channels, it might have smeared things and made it worse.... But perception (as in seeing it) is everything here. It looks like Jhon69 finds that it is better, at least with the Vizio unit he has. And thanks for that insight.

I'd be interested in other Dish users experience with UHD TVs.

I wouldn't make full stop at dish sources and would make broad look - DTV already transmitting UHD PPV movie, soon to be UHD demo channel, then perhaps major sport producers will start streaming in UHD some events ... take a look on other side, don't miss your good opportunity to get real UHD content today to soak in your personal perception with your new UHD TV set ;)

jbach said:
This is the most important piece of info in this thread to me. I don't care how or why upconverting cannot make 4K resolution - we all know that. I only want to know whether the picture from Dish on a 2015 UHD is as good or better than it was on an HD set. As we know from some SD channels, it might have smeared things and made it worse.... But perception (as in seeing it) is everything here. It looks like Jhon69 finds that it is better, at least with the Vizio unit he has. And thanks for that insight.

I thought I would add to my comment about 4K UHDTVs.If you have the budget and want the best it would be the LG 4K OLED UHDTV.The better 4K UHDTVs(and more expensive) support 3D,HDR and WCG on their 4K UHDTVs,my budget Vizio 4K UHDTV does not,but Vizio is coming out with an "R" series which will support all those features in the future and may also be coming out with a revised "P" series 4K UHDTV.
The best picture I have seen on my 4K UHDTV is with my Bluray player with a Bluray DVD,I never thought the picture could be even clearer,but it is when it's coming from a 1080p Bluray DVD that is upconverted to 4K UHD,that I believe is a true 4K picture.
I cannot comment on what a regular digital picture looks like through my 4K UHDTV because I do not have it connected with coax in the back where you would normally connect an antenna connection,my OTA runs through my Dish receiver.

jbach said:

This is an excellent post and hopefully other 4K UHDTV owners will post their experience with their new 4K UHDTVs. :)

Had a unexpected surprise the other night,I changed my resolution on my Dish receiver from 1080i to 720p and it seemed to me that the colors on my 4K UHDTV picture came alive.

Dish receiver's do not have a native pass through which I like.I would guess maybe because I went to a progressive resolution picture that it might have been easier to upconvert the picture.

Anyways thought I would report this interesting result from just a change in picture resolution.

Jhon69 said:
Had a unexpected surprise the other night,I changed my resolution on my Dish receiver from 1080i to 720p and it seemed to me that the colors on my 4K UHDTV picture came alive.

Dish receiver's do not have a native pass through which I like.I would guess maybe because I went to a progressive resolution picture that it might have been easier to upconvert the picture.

Anyways thought I would report this interesting result from just a change in picture resolution.

Another observation I need to report,when I had a 1080p HDTV and changed my resolution setting from 1080i to 720p on my Dish receiver,the colors would improve,but the picture would lose some clarity.

With a 4K UHDTV and I change my resolution setting on my Dish receiver from 1080i to 720p the colors are deeper and the clarity it still good thanks to the 4K spatial scaling engine built into the 4K UHDTV that upconverts the picture.

Because I can only get AT&T Elite DSL which is 6Mbps down,the only way that I can see 4K on my Vizio 4K UHDTV is to use a 4K Demo program on a USB thumb drive that my son(who is more knowledgeable on computers than I am) set up for me that is plugged into one of my USB inputs for Media on my TV.

Best Buy has a Sony 4K upconverting Blu ray player on sale for $99. so I bought one and I must say that it is indeed impressive,now I am able to watch my 1080p Bluray movies in 2160p.

When I press the TV remote's info button it confirms that the picture is being displayed is 2160p,so for those who cannot stream programs in 4K this option so far is working very good for me. :)

Jhon69 said:
When I press the TV remote's info button it confirms that the picture is being displayed is 2160p,so for those who cannot stream programs in 4K this option so far is working very good for me. :)
How much difference can there be between 2 and 4 K if you have to push a button to confirm which you are watching? :rotfl:

Jhon69 said:
I like to verify my screen resolution,how do you verify your screen resolution on your 4K UHDTV?
Wife and I watch streaming video on his and her's iPads. For us, content is king - no interest in a UHDTV - plus wife would not allow a TV big enough for 4K to make a difference.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.