DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this in the software thread, but since I am not sure if it's related to the recent release I am going to post here.

Numerous times while watching NFL today I paused and walked away long enough for screen saver to kick on. When I hit play to resume I was bounced all the way back to live TV in real time. I saw someone else somehwere in here report the same bug so I wanted to make sure it gets noticed and hopefully resolved.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
antneye said:
Posted this in the software thread, but since I am not sure if it's related to the recent release I am going to post here.

Numerous times while watching NFL today I paused and walked away long enough for screen saver to kick on. When I hit play to resume I was bounced all the way back to live TV in real time. I saw someone else somehwere in here report the same bug so I wanted to make sure it gets noticed and hopefully resolved.
Try using INFO button to get out of the screen saver... to see what state your unit is in before resuming playback.

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will try that.

More info:

When i hit play I actually returned to the paused broadcast in the exact same spot that I left it. I also could see in the status bar how far behind I was. However when I hit play again to resume I was immediately brought forward to real time.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
antneye said:
I will try that.

More info:

When i hit play I actually returned to the paused broadcast in the exact same spot that I left it. I also could see in the status bar how far behind I was. However when I hit play again to resume I was immediately brought forward to real time.
What channel are you watching at the time?
(IIRC you where on an MPEG-4)

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was watching NFL ST in the 700's (HD game).....don't think this is MPEG4.

Just tested it on 70 HBOH, and your method worked fine. I then retested it using play like I did before and it also worked fine. I am now paused on FOX MPEG 4 from NY and will let you know if it occurs there.

Maybe this was somehow linked to the ST feeds? I think the other person who posted this issue was also watching football.

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MPEG4 test worked perfectly. I will test it again next Sunday, not that it makes sense to me why it would be attributed to ST. It happened everytime I went to screensaver while watching Football.....now its working perfectly. I never reset the box or anything, so this has me baffled.

·
7 Posts
I had the same problem today while watching sunday ticket. I paused the Dolphin/Bear game in the 700's in HD and it locked. Couldn't un-pause. Screensaver never activated.

·
AllStar
82 Posts
I've run into this issue many times. Very annoying!!!

It happens on various channels. I've had it happen on HBO-HD (70) and more than one local HD channel (MPEG4). I'm guessing that it can happen on any channel.

·
AllStar
69 Posts
This has happened for me as well. I noticed it twice today on ESPN HD and I think DHD. I've tried unpausing using the pause and play buttons, but same effect it seems.

·
Legend
218 Posts
I was going to start a post about this today as I hadn't seen one yet but since this is here I'll add my experiences.

I have had this happen to me all but 2 times when pausing. I have only had my hr20 since Thursday but each time I pause and then restart on various channels types (mpeg2 and 4 I think) the playback jumps to realtime. This is very annoying when watching my Patriots play last night and pausing for 5 minutes only to come back hit play and see that Indy had scored again :( before I even got to watch it. I then have to rewind to watch it. I have had this happen on Showtime, hbo, HD locals, and Cartoon Network. I know that some of these programs are mpeg 2 and 4 so I think it rules out the mpeg 4 issue.

·
AllStar
60 Posts
I had the same issue on Friday night watching Las Vegas buttons like info worked, however, pause, play, FFWD, or REW would do nothing. I went to another channel and they all worked fine, but none would work with NBC, same thing after Las Vegas ended i could control every other station I tried but NBC. This was a SD program i was watching. The next day it worked fine on NBC.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
102 Posts
You can add me to the list as well. When pausing, if you hit play, or pause, it will take you back to live TV and not where you paused it.

Very annoying. Why have a pause feature if this is going to happen? Mine happened when watching the HD Sunday ticket games this week, and it has happend at other times as well (since I don't watch much live TV, others will probably be able to chime in a little more). I don't have MPEG4 locals yet, so it's happend on ST and various other channels.

Bill

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
I've had this happen a handful of times (three maybe?) over the last few weeks. I've had it happen on both MPEG2 and MPEG4 channels, so I think it has to do with how the HR20 handles and buffers the video streams; if certain errors accumulate in the buffer, it seems to prevent the HR20 from properly maintaining the pause point. Interestingly, it doesn't take a reset to fix the problem for me. Usually, just changing the channel (and thus flushing the buffered data stream) fixes the issue. That's what makes me believe it's got to do with corrupted data and how the HR20 deals with it (or doesn't deal with it properly).

·
Godfather
314 Posts
Same thing here. It was very annoying because when I paused the score was 3-0 and when I resumed the score was 3-3!

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
For some masochistic reason, I was watching the Lions Game on the MPEG4 local Fox station. (i cant believe they won)

Anyway I was having similar problems trying to pause the game. Imagine, I finally quit pausing and watched live. (me still thinks me being conditioned to watch live tv :lol: )

I was also noticing something REALLY odd. I don't want to start a conspiracy here, but the volume during the commercials was completely muted FREQUENTLY. This was random, but MOST frequent during local political ads. (On both sides)

I can't help but wonder if this was someone's idea of a joke. Because it was truly amazing how the sound would come back as soon as one of these ads ended and drop out as soon as one started. There was one instance of the sound muting during actual game play, but it was brief.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.