DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· AllStar
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HR20-100 is displaying bizarre behavior as of 3 nights ago which is strange since it's been on the same CE for a few weeks. Here are the symptoms:

1. Programs aren't actually recorded, as soon as you play them the screen comes up asking if you want to delete them and nothing plays. I've had this happen with other CE's before but it's been good until now

2. I'm suddenly unable to pause, forward, or rewind live tv. If I perform a restart of the receiver, all functionality comes back but within a day the problem seems to reappear

Anyone else see this behavior?
-Keith

· You make it, We break it
4,480 Posts
If you say you've been on the same CE for a few weeks, it's likely you're on the NR now. Can you double-check that?

Which programs are experiencing the Keep/Delete issue? This an older issue which hasn't been seen in a while IIRC.

If reboots cause the functions to return temporarily, combined with the Keep/Delete, I wonder if you could have the beginnings of a hard drive failure. Just a gut guess at this point.

kelkin said:
My HR20-100 is displaying bizarre behavior as of 3 nights ago which is strange since it's been on the same CE for a few weeks. Here are the symptoms:

1. Programs aren't actually recorded, as soon as you play them the screen comes up asking if you want to delete them and nothing plays. I've had this happen with other CE's before but it's been good until now

2. I'm suddenly unable to pause, forward, or rewind live tv. If I perform a restart of the receiver, all functionality comes back but within a day the problem seems to reappear

-Keith

· Godfather
279 Posts
I've been having huge problems like this the last several days. However, since turning my external HDD off, I haven't had a single issue. I think something in the software may have effected my external HDD, or it could be a failure on its part. I don't know since I haven't researched the problem any farther than turning off my external HDD.

Do you have an external HDD? Do you have problems with programs recorded during those 'bug days' still on your HDD? I noticed trying to access shows recorded during my 'bug days' still had the bug, or something, and caused my problems all over again. It appears a reboot doesn't get rid of the problem completely. Even trying to delete those shows started my problem all over again.

However, turning off the external HDD, and rebooting from the internal, that never updated Ox253, I noticed Ox254 is working just fine. So, could Ox253 be the culprit, or my problems strictly the fault of my failing external HDD? Could Ox253 had something 'nasty' for eSATA connected external HDD receivers that is giving us these problems? Don't know, but with all the problems people are having, and most seem to have and external HDD, it just could be the culprit. It's only a guess, though.

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
Guitar Hero,

In your case, it is possible it is the eSATA chassis not cooling or powering the HDD properly, especially if the HDD works in your computer. But either way, it's good to hear that you are in much better shape now.

· Difficulty Concen........
Directv, 5 LNB Slimline Dish, HR34-700, HR44-500, C31-700, C41-700, 2 DIRECTV SWM16, 2 Zinwell WB68
7,251 Posts
kelkin said:

-Keith
I know this sounds condescending, but have you tried new batteries in the remote. Sometimes the warning does not come up before the remote starts getting flaky. Other than that, a "pull the power for a half hour" might be in order.

· AllStar
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
armophob said:
I know this sounds condescending, but have you tried new batteries in the remote. Sometimes the warning does not come up before the remote starts getting flaky. Other than that, a "pull the power for a half hour" might be in order.
It's not the remote, every time I hit a key I get the "invalid" beep like I'm pressing a key to a function that isn't available, so the receiver *is* getting the command it's just not performing it. Other buttons work fine like menu, guide, etc..

Something new happened now, I was getting a "Searching for satellite" message while live tv was playing, but the UI was frozen. It wouldn't let me change or navigate anything, even the buttons on the front of the unit wouldn't work. I had to do a reset with the red button, and now the receiver won't even boot up. It gives the "Your direcTV receiver is starting up" and then "Almost there..." and then turns blue and does nothing except spin the lights on the front.. after 30 min of nothing happening, I tried this again.. two more times and same thing.. so I unplugged the unit from the wall, waited 10 min, plugged it in, and now it appears to be booting up. (That last part with the booting has happened to me before and I posted about it then)

Hopefully tonight's CE will be more stable. And no, I"m not using an external HD. I'll post the release version once the unit comes up if it does.
-Keith

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.