DBSTalk Forum banner

Unbelievable Tech Support Call

3K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  rahlquist 
#1 ·
So I called tech support because my local HD channels were all black and I didn't realize that there was a problem. During the phone conversation I had to repeat everything that I said at least 2 times. Eventually I asked the tech of he was listening to me or if there was a problem with our phone connection. He didn't acknowledge my comment. He continued to try and fix the problem (which wasn't a problem after all it was something D* caused). He eventually decided that rebooting the receiver would fix the problem. While the receiver was rebooting he said this to me "It may seem like I'm not paying attention to you and that's because I'm watching a football game on TV. I'm watching the Baltimore Ravens and the Cleveland Browns". I'm dumbfounded!

I told him I wanted to speak to his supervisor right now. The supervisor got on the phone and the tech said well we can all talk together now and I said no I'm not talking to you anymore I will talk to the supervisor only. The supervisor laughed at me. I said I don't think that's very funny sir. He said well you made a rude comment. I said excuse me but you haven't spent 30 minutes trying to work an issue out with someone that is watching tv instead of working. The supervisor told me that he would look in to the call and possibly take the tv off the row. But didn't decide to help me on the call.

I called back and talked to the retention department where i relayed this story and the lady promptly looked in to the issue telling me that the channels were blacked out due to something that D* was doing right now. Why in the world the first tech couldn't do that is beyond me. Oh wait maybe because he was too busy watching TV instead of working! That's just unbelievable!!! :mad:

See less See more
#3 ·
it's possible he didn't even put a supervisor on but simply one of his friends and was lying to you. I hope you got his name and the time you called. In a thread I made here someone posted the email address for the VP of customer service. You may want to email her if you don't get help and get this guy fired.

#4 ·
Jared701 said:
it's possible he didn't even put a supervisor on but simply one of his friends and was lying to you. I hope you got his name and the time you called. In a thread I made here someone posted the email address for the VP of customer service. You may want to email her if you don't get help and get this guy fired.
I believe it was his supervisor and if you can provide me with a link to this post I will look in to emailing that VP if I don't hear back from D* tomorrow on the issue.

#6 ·
how many times did they ask you to "sir, push the red button on the front of your reciever, please"

#9 ·
dcowboy7 said:
yea i could see if it was a cowboys game....but not that game.
Funny, I would have said the exact opposite. Go Ravens!!!!:D It was a great game, BTW, so I can hardly blame the tech for wanting to watch it.

FYI - Wasn't it the Baltimore Colts that beat the Cowboys back in Superbowl V?

#10 ·
axl said:
I believe it was his supervisor and if you can provide me with a link to this post I will look in to emailing that VP if I don't hear back from D* tomorrow on the issue.
VP of Custopmer Service
email... Ellen Filipiak at ellen.filipiak@directv.com

Your experience is entirely unacceptable. However considering how some companies treat their employees its not unheard of for them to act this way. NOT that thats an excuse.

In the future you may want to consider these tips to dealing with a CSR.
The 5 steps to a successful call with a CSR.

1 Identify (CSR): When they greet you ask for their employee id and first name
2 Identify(issue): be polite and as brief as possible in explaining why you called.
3 Make Progress: If your are not getting anywhere ask to please speak with a supervisor, they will likely want to note your account with why you want to speak to the supervisor so do tell them why.
4 Review:After all changes have been made request the CSR go over your billing, it shouldn't take them long to do this and should let you catch that extra $5 that wasn't there the month before. Also make sure everything they offer you is in the call notes, make them read them back at the end of the call, after going over your billing.
5 Be Aware: Remember the calls can and most likely will be recorded and that the CSR can get disciplined based on the call so try to keep on track and don't ask them anything personal you wouldn't discuss with your pastor, or grandmother.

#13 ·
rahlquist said:
VP of Custopmer Service
email... Ellen Filipiak at ellen.filipiak@directv.com

Your experience is entirely unacceptable. However considering how some companies treat their employees its not unheard of for them to act this way. NOT that thats an excuse.

In the future you may want to consider these tips to dealing with a CSR.
Thanks and that's all good advice I know and need to follow. I just tend to forget it. It works the same with any company really. You need to get the right info to deal with the problem. Thanks for the information rahlquist.

#16 ·
rahlquist said:
As far as I know or have heard D* doesnt offshore any call centers, though they do have companies subcontracted to who have at home agents.
I have talked with reps that were in the Philippines before. I'm not sure if they still have call centers there or not to be honest. Last few times I haven't been overseas.

#17 ·
jsmartin99 said:
It is so sad that a company with such a great product has horrible customer service.
Its the times, not just the companies, look at the story about the woman working at best buy who wouldn't let someone use the phone to call 911 when someone left their kid locked in the car in the heat.

People suck, but D* does need to weed a little more thoroughly at times it seems.

#18 ·
rahlquist said:
Its the times, not just the companies, look at the story about the woman working at best buy who wouldn't let someone use the phone to call 911 when someone left their kid locked in the car in the heat.

People suck, but D* does need to weed a little more thoroughly at times it seems.
I agree completely..........

#19 ·
rahlquist said:
As far as I know or have heard D* doesnt offshore any call centers, though they do have companies subcontracted to who have at home agents.
These are the centers the HSPs use to close the jobs AFTER the work is complete and the customer has been activated by the DTV folks. Part of why techs quite are these idiots who speak slow and poor English. After rotting on hold for various time periods........ they need to read every number and word on the work order. They screw up the info you give them............the list goes on.

They make the DTV folks seem smart and efficient.

Joe

#21 ·
axl said:
I have talked with reps that were in the Philippines before. I'm not sure if they still have call centers there or not to be honest. Last few times I haven't been overseas.
I have read that they have one in the Philippines and one in Mexico. I don't know for sure if that is still true, but I don't think that in either case they would be watching the Browns vs the Ravens.

#22 ·
DarinC said:
At this point, she must have her own set of off shore CSRs just to answer all her emails.
Don't know about that but I will tell you her office is very responsive. If you email her you will get a response either by email or even phone. Check out this post for my experience... http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=139569&page=3

#23 ·
I was a telemarketing droid during my sophomore year in college. I wasn't total scum--I was actually giving good deals on resubs to magazines that people already subscribed to. Anyway...

Whenever we would make a sale, we would ring a bell, and one of the other droids was to come over and confirm the sale by saying they were the manager. We were all just the same plankton in the pond--nobody had any authority over anyone else.

So the "manager" you talked to could really have just been the guy's buddy in the cube next door. How would you ever know?

#24 ·
paulman182 said:
I have never heard of them doing anything that would make one individual's HD channels blank, but I guess it is possible.
Yeah , they said they were doing something to the 99c last night . All the DC HD locals were out for a while . I was wondering , what they could have been doing , that was so important , it had to be done then .

#25 ·
puffnstuff said:
Yeah , they said they were doing something to the 99c last night . All the DC HD locals were out for a while . I was wondering , what they could have been doing , that was so important , it had to be done then .
It is like when you hang a picture on a wall. Sometimes the hook bends or the picture shifts. Satellites are like that. When the hooks slip the satellite hangs down and don't work no more.

Or the black screen could be a warning to those inside the beltway to repent.

Joe

#26 ·
jsmartin99 said:
It is so sad that a company with such a great product has horrible customer service.
Probably because if they hired really good ones and paid them what they were worth, people would complain that the service was too expensive.

We (collectively, not as individuals) talk about how much we hate bad service and offshored call centers and sweatshop manufacturing, and then we have a tendency to insist on the lowest prices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.