DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Icon
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching around here and have not really found a guide to understanding the signal strength matrix screens. Doesn't mean it's not here, but I can find it...

I looked over the info in the Satellite Dish FAQ, but it leaves me wanting more.

Of course there is the obvious, you want the numbers to be as high as possible, but what is the acceptable threshold? In my case I have 6 satellites to look at, 101, 110, 119, 99(s), 103(s) and 103(c) (95 and 72.5 may apply to others, just not me), I'd like to know more about what I'm looking at. Also the above FAQ does not seem to cover name changes or the two 103s (maybe it's the same thing).

I got the idea that 99(s) and 103(c) "doesn't matter", but that was from another post and I'd like to know why. I can sort-of tell from the description (at the FAQ link above), but I'd like to know how to tell which transponders are OK to be 0, OK to be low, and which should have "acceptable" readings. Might be nice to include a technical explanation for the N/As, but it seems easy to accept that info on active xponders is broadcast... But inquiring minds might like to double check the available (total) number.

I've attached a text file of my readings, which includes both (internal) receivers. 99(s) has me the most curious. Oh, dual receivers - This would make another good point for a guide, to check both to identify cable, BBC, etc. problems. Since I have a VERY basic install, it's only LNBs, cable, and BBCs for me.

So the idea of a guide called "Is my dish properly aligned (for optimal reception)" might be a good companion thread for Is my dish properly installed and grounded? Satellite Dish FAQ <--- link

If I can collect enough information via this thread, I'll be more than happy to format something for inclusion in the FAQ. Of course I can only describe it as it applies to my HR21, but this could be easily fixed with a review by someone experienced with the other receivers. Or it can be generic enough for any receiver.

Some topics I'd include:

1. How to run a full signal strength test (include weather conditions).
2. Understanding the signal strength matrix.
3. How to determine which channel is on which sat/xponder.
4. How to spot check a channel.
5. What do the [D*] test channels mean.

Well I've typed about 500% more than I was expeting... It started out as such a simple question... :sure:

Anyway, all ideas & comments welcome... Hopefully I haven't missed it.

Sincerely,

Eric

·
Icon
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys... I'll format the info as I collect it...

Keeping in mind the XPs do get reassigned, could one track that info down? I noticed the satellite links in the FAQ pointed to another site, but that info was not easy for me to absorb (did not recognize anything at the time), but I'll go back for a second look as my understanding gets better.

PS. I like how they did the OTA signal meter screen... That's pretty cool!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.