Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
AllStar
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I just got my HR-20 installed today (boy, that was fun, i'll include the story at bottom). So far, I have not really gotten used to it yet. Havn't added any season links yet (will do tomorow or something), all i've really done is try to set up the settings and make the box integrated into my home theater correctly.

So, just to let you know ahead of time, I have my HR-20 connected via component and optical --> Denon Receiver which then sends the component to my Sony Bravia LCD TV (720p native). But I have a few questions.

One, when i went through the Display settings on the box, it said check all resolutions that correctly display on your TV. Every single one displayed correctly on the TV. But I just found out (all of 2 minutes ago) that my TV has a 720p native resolution. Should I use that as the top notch resolution (by which i mean, unchecking 1080i)? Will there be any difference in quality?

Second, I have a Home Theater Master MX600 and tried to program the RC24 commands into it. I set the RC24 to IF mode, and then programed the buttons into the MX600. But I noticed that at least 1/2 the time when i press the buttons on the MX600, it will either not be accepted by the HR-20, or it will be accepted twice. I am using the MX100 wireless reciever that came with it, and the HR-20 is in a wooden cabinet with the IR blaster placed on the HR-20's IR reciever with black electrical tape (as I have used with all my other equipment). Anyone know what could be the problem? I have tried using just the RC24 in both RF and IR and it works just fine with the box directly, but I cannot get the MX600 to work well with it.

Third, is there a direct link to the My VOD list from the remote? My technician and D* CSR's said that there is not one, but fairly inconsistently, i can get to the My VOD screen by either holding the list button for 2+ seconds, or by tapping it twice very fast. I think i've got the basics of something, but I don't know what the real shortcut is.

Edit: So I just started setting up season links on my HR-20 (up to two so far), and I noticed even the given remote (RC24 I believe) and I noticed even it is really unresponsive! Like, rarely first try works, typically 2-5th push of a button works, sometimes even up to 10 pushes before it works!

What is wrong with my remote(s)!?

Ok, so now for the installation story.

So today, Tuesday the 17th, the DTV guy shows up at my doorstep at 1:15, easily in the time window (1-5). He begins the installation, setting up the satelite dish first. He notices that he forgot to pack the LNB receiver things. So he calls another nearby technician, and goes and borrow's a set from him. So the rest of the dish setup goes fine, but then he starts to setup the HR-20. First off, he plugs in the HR-20, it goes through its 5 minute bootup process, gets to the Language select screen, and immediately begins to smoke, and i mean SMOKE! I could smell it 3 rooms away! So he takes that HR-20 back to his van, grabs another one, and sets this one up. The setup process goes fine, but then the box freezes. He has to reset the box, and go through the setup again. So now finally, the box is set up, and he gets on the phone with DTV. We get the box activated, but somehow the DVR service wont work on the HR-20 (we hit pause, it says DVR service not actived, call D*). So he calls them up again, hands me the phone, and says "My wife and I are having our 20th anniversary tonight. Sorry, but I have to leave." So he leaves me on the phone with D* to get the DVR service activated, and leaves the old satelite and the old reciever here (D* better not bill us for this!). Well, I finally get it all working, and yeah, here I am now.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I set my HR20 to the Native (720P) resolution of my Sammy HL-R5667W and turn Native OFF in the HR20. It avoids delay problems, and doesn't introduce a potential for another bug in the early development of the firmware for the HR20.

Depening on how well things scale and which device (HR20 or TV) is doing the scaling you may find that 720P looks better on your 720P native display, or 1080i ....but in both cases, I prefer a fixed display output from the HR20. In my particular case, 720P looks better.

Try it both ways and see which you prefer. I don't like Native Mode ON in the HR20. It precipitates way too much "switching" to no real advantage for me. YMMV

·
Legend
181 Posts
I can get to MyVoD directly just by pressing LIST on the remote. It sounds to me that you may have a duff one. Try new batteries, also with the RC24 (in IR mode) I have to point directly at the HR20 as there is a very narrow "beam". My unit is behind a smoked glass door though.

·
AllStar
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The native thing is nice to know. I have been using the remote with the batteries it came with and in the RF mode recently (hate having to point the thing), but I have also tried it in IR and same effect. I will swap the batteries and try it that way, otherwise it looks like i'll be calling D* to get a replacement remote sent, and if that doesn't work, who knows... maybe the box's remote receiving chip or sumthing is dying

·
AllStar
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So maybe this is all old new I am reporting (would explain low number of responses), but I called DTV today and they said there are many known remote troubles with the HR20, and that they would send me a fix as soon as it is available.

Well, boy, thats really helpful. Guess I'll just have to stick it out. =(

·
Remote Master
1,820 Posts
I would reteach the mx600, for repeating commands like FF & REW press and hold the keys on rc24 when teaching the command to the mx600. I would erase all learned commands from the Hr20 device, program in code AUX155 to clear out the IR commands preset to keys that interfer with learned commands. And use brand new batteries in both remotes when teaching.

·
AllStar
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Edmund said:
I would erase all learned commands from the Hr20 device, program in code AUX155 to clear out the IR commands preset to keys that interfer with learned commands.
What do i do to do that? I understand the rest but... that can be a bit confusing to a 15 yr old XO

·
Remote Master
1,820 Posts
to enter AUX 155:

1. main & ent
2. p-pro
3. hr20 device key
4. AUX device, the bottom left device key, no matter what it is now
5. enter code 1-5-5
6. save
7. main
8. main

Aux 155 is actually for the tandy/radio shack IR A/B switch, there is only two weak commands program to #1 & #2 keys, all the other hard & soft keys are blank of IR commands.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.