DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Godfather
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... this is getting ridiculous!!! Software updates are making our HR20 worse and worse!!! I have already posted about the lockups, lost recordings and inconmplete recordings which we NEVER had until last weeks software update. I was hoping it would get better after last night's update. NOPE! The damn thing is totally unresponsive now. We were watching an episode of "30 Rock" that was previously recorded. In the meantime it is recording the season premiere of "Medium". Orange light is still on as I type this. Anyway, after watching our recorded episode of "30 Rock", we deleted it and went back to live TV. Now the HR20 will not respond to the remote or our universal remote. Can't even change channels or anything. I don't want to do a reset because it's recording "Medium" SUPOSEDLY. If it messes up the recording of Medium, not only will the wife be ticked off, but so will I!!! What is the deal D*?????????:mad:

·
Godfather
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Still unresponsive... it did actually go up one channel on live TV all by itself... to a show we have no interest in watching. We've only got one thing recording right now. Medium is a 2-hour premiere, so we still have 45 minutes left before I try and reset it. FYI: even the buttons on the front don't do anything! Now I'm actually starting to feel the frustration that other have been feeling for quite sometime with this unit.

·
Godfather
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks... I needed that :) LOL

20 minutes until the one finger solute to the red button. Although I think I'll actually unplug it this time for 5 minutes. Maybe it needs an enema???

·
Godfather
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had already thought of creating a thread for the meaning of "HR" in HR20...

Horrifically Retarded
Hilarious Recorder
Hourly Reboots
Horribly Ridiculous

Etc Etc Etc...

Anyway, it's still not responding... 5 minutes until reboot...

·
Godfather
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, after I unplugged the power cable as well as the coax feeds for about five minutes, I fired it back up. Medium did seem to record and doesn't show a negative (-0:01) time when we opened it. It's too late to try and watch the show. Hopefully it all recorded! Unlike this weeks Heros... which only recorded half. I really hope I don't have to reformat. If that happens we'll have to try and watch all the recordings first. She records WAY too much TV! ;)

·
Godfather
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE:
We haven't watched that recording of Medium yet, but we recorded both My Name is Earl and Survivor last night at the same time. We were able to watch both without problems. I have been noticing some video stuttering lately though as well as some green pixel lines. The sound doesn't skip a beat, but the video will freeze for a split second or a horizontal green pixel line will show up on the screen. Happens at random but you can rewind and it happens in the exact same point. Was worse on Earl (SD) than it was on Survivor (HD). In fact I only saw it stutter once in Survivor. It might have been because we were watching Earl as it was still recording. I think we'll watch Medium tonight. I'll post a followup report after that...

·
Godfather
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah... it was pretty minor... and I was sort of thinking that might be the cause. I know it's not the dish or the cabling since I haven't had this problem before and I get excellent signal strength. Just thought it was odd because I haven't seen this until the last software update. The good news is, the wife LOVES the FF, Pause and RW improvements of this last update. Changing channels is still painfully slow! It's a good five seconds of black screen before the video kicks in. Annoying! happens whether I have native on or off. Hopefully that will get better...

brott said:
If the video is garbled in the same place all of the time, I think that it is fair to say that there is a problem with the video stream rather than a problem with the HR20. Really nothing you can do about this other than complain to the powers that be if the problem is too pervasive.

·
Godfather
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE 2:
Medium recorded fine. We just watched it. Although it had the video glitches I mentioned previously. In fact, this is heppening on pretty much all the channels. Live and recorded. The sound doesn't skip a beat, but the video has these hiccups. Any ideas? I sure don't want to reformat. I think that is a [email protected] way to fix this unit if you ask me. Especially since it's no gaurantee.

·
Godfather
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well folks... it did it again!!!! Completely locked up!!! EXACT same scenario as the last time. We were watching a recorded show (ER this time) and it was recording another. When we finished watching the show, we deleted it and went to live TV. WHAM! Total lock up. The live live TV signal works but the HR20 will not respond to the remote or the buttons on the front of the unit. So, once the show that it is recording now is finished, I will be pulling the plug to reboot it again. My wife is really started to get irritated now! Especially when I even drop the hint of reformatting and losing everything!:mad: :nono2: :nono: Is it too much to ask for a DVR that actually works???

·
Godfather
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ours locks up until a reboot. Not 15-30 seconds.

I rebooted it and the recording seems intact. History shows "recorded"... but we'll see. D* PLEASE FIX THESE BUGS! OUR HR20 WAS ALMOST FLAWLESS THREE UPDATES AGO!!!:mad:

·
Godfather
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
UPDATE:
I talked to my wife about this and she gave me the details. She's the primary user of this HR20. Anyway, she said that she didn't let it stay on the "delete now" screen for more than a second. However, she said that the times that it has locked up like this was on a non-padded recording. When it reaches the end of the show and it prompts you to delete or not, if you hit yes, then it would freeze the HR20. Of course, it doesn't every time. However... we USUALLY record padded shows and delete them by hitting info, more info and choosing delete. That might be why it has only happened to us about three times. So for now, as a work around, when it asks to delete, we'll say "no" and delete it later...

More info here: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=70933

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.