DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
MercurialIN said:
A side note: if I am going to have to reformat the hard drive and lose all recordings, PPV etc, each time a software upgrade is sent that is totally, unacceptable!! Period. To quote Twisted Sister, "If that's your best, your best won't do."
And there is not one single person on this forum, nor at DirecTV would say (in their right mind) the opposite. Period.

As for you continuing to have issues...... and honestly... all I am tring to do here is find a trend.

What does your priortizer look like?
Do you happen to have an AutoRecords for Search items, ect...

·
Hall Of Fame
1,448 Posts
First Earl, thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. I don't mean to offend anyone, not even Directv with anything I've said, but I do stand by it, I'm simply frustrated beyond my limits between the R 15 and now the HR 20. All I want is to record and enjoy my Directv again. I will be happy to give any information that might help a resolution to be found.

My prioritizer currently has 22 items in it, it does include a few auto records that I found through keyword searches, such as one for "Sylvia Browne" one for the "Colts" and "Broncos", "Indiana Pacers" and a couple of movies that I'm always on the lookout for. Most are series links however.

The HR 20 for me had been a welcome respite from the horrendous R 15 until this latest "upgrade". Now it is constant lock ups that even unplugging and red button resets and lastly a reformat didn't resolve. Also since I've had this particular unit over a month and a half now, the temp of the unit, which I keep an eye on had been averaging between 120 and 124 (the unit is in a glass fronted cabinet with a wide open back) since the upgrade it's usually at 122 rarely 120 and after a lock up it is usually 124 or 125, once 127. I feel that has to do with the software upgrade also.

I realize hard drives do go bad but I just have a gut feeling this is software.
Again I mean no offense in my strong words earlier but truly this has got to be resolved. I need to have at least one DVR that I can rely on. I'm "sidelined" permanantly due to chronic health problems and watching movies is pretty much my only form of entertainment, not to sound pathetic but that's why getting a working, reliable DVR is so important to me. I've never had a quarrel with D* until the R 15 came out. I'm sorry but I miss my reliable stand alone TiVo, I want to like the R 15 and I was feeling really positive about the HR 20 until the upgrade Thu. but right now I''m just stressed out, angry and disappointed.

Earl, thanks a lot for all you do on this forum I enjoy reading your posts, you have helped me more then you know.

·
Godfather
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well folks... it did it again!!!! Completely locked up!!! EXACT same scenario as the last time. We were watching a recorded show (ER this time) and it was recording another. When we finished watching the show, we deleted it and went to live TV. WHAM! Total lock up. The live live TV signal works but the HR20 will not respond to the remote or the buttons on the front of the unit. So, once the show that it is recording now is finished, I will be pulling the plug to reboot it again. My wife is really started to get irritated now! Especially when I even drop the hint of reformatting and losing everything!:mad: :nono2: :nono: Is it too much to ask for a DVR that actually works???

·
Legend
155 Posts
g4jedi said:
Well folks... it did it again!!!! Completely locked up!!! EXACT same scenario as the last time. We were watching a recorded show (ER this time) and it was recording another. When we finished watching the show, we deleted it and went to live TV. WHAM! Total lock up. The live live TV signal works but the HR20 will not respond to the remote or the buttons on the front of the unit. So, once the show that it is recording now is finished, I will be pulling the plug to reboot it again. My wife is really started to get irritated now! Especially when I even drop the hint of reformatting and losing everything!:mad: :nono2: :nono: Is it too much to ask for a DVR that actually works???
Twice with the latest release I have had the system freeze and not take any remote activitve for 15-30 of so seconds and then it started working again. Almost like the system is 'garbage collecting', which it probally is. I don't remember if I saw this with older releases or not as I had worse problems that seem to have been fixed.

·
Godfather
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ours locks up until a reboot. Not 15-30 seconds.

I rebooted it and the recording seems intact. History shows "recorded"... but we'll see. D* PLEASE FIX THESE BUGS! OUR HR20 WAS ALMOST FLAWLESS THREE UPDATES AGO!!!:mad:

·
Godfather
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
UPDATE:
I talked to my wife about this and she gave me the details. She's the primary user of this HR20. Anyway, she said that she didn't let it stay on the "delete now" screen for more than a second. However, she said that the times that it has locked up like this was on a non-padded recording. When it reaches the end of the show and it prompts you to delete or not, if you hit yes, then it would freeze the HR20. Of course, it doesn't every time. However... we USUALLY record padded shows and delete them by hitting info, more info and choosing delete. That might be why it has only happened to us about three times. So for now, as a work around, when it asks to delete, we'll say "no" and delete it later...

More info here: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=70933

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
g4jedi said:
UPDATE:
I talked to my wife about this and she gave me the details. She's the primary user of this HR20. Anyway, she said that she didn't let it stay on the "delete now" screen for more than a second. However, she said that the times that it has locked up like this was on a non-padded recording. When it reaches the end of the show and it prompts you to delete or not, if you hit yes, then it would freeze the HR20. Of course, it doesn't every time. However... we USUALLY record padded shows and delete them by hitting info, more info and choosing delete. That might be why it has only happened to us about three times. So for now, as a work around, when it asks to delete, we'll say "no" and delete it later...

More info here: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=70933
This is so strange! I've done it two ways, frequently and have never had a freeze:

1. At end of show, delete from the presented options

2. Hit stop at the end of the show, cursor to show, double-dash delete

It's very confusing seeing these kinds of problems for others and never seeing them here. (9 weeks and counting)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.