DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· AllStar
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have AT100 + the $10 HD add-on (whatever they're calling it these days)...

One thing I noticed is that the new HD channels that just went live today - the ones that I'm not subscribed to (which is 16 of the 17) - don't show up in my guide in red. That's kind of weird. I usually like to scroll through the guide and look at all the red channels to see what I'm missing. Call it a personality flaw :lol:

· Icon
710 Posts
What happened to Universal HD? With all the new plan changes, I'm not sure what plan I had but I haven't requested any changes. Now I have Encore, Lifetime, Green and a few other HD channels but UNIVERSAL HD is gone form view.

This may be bad as I was looking forward to Olympics overflow from NBC on that channel. I'm not about to pay the additional $10 to get it in the next tier. It's got commercials, for heaven's sake!

· Icon
719 Posts
moman19 said:
What happened to Universal HD? With all the new plan changes, I'm not sure what plan I had but I haven't requested any changes. Now I have Encore, Lifetime, Green and a few other HD channels but UNIVERSAL HD is gone form view.

This may be bad as I was looking forward to Olympics overflow from NBC on that channel. I'm not about to pay the additional $10 to get it in the next tier. It's got commercials, for heaven's sake!
It sounds like you have AT250 and HD Essentials (which is now GoldHD). UniversalHD was recently in Preview, and is now gone. But like that post above mentions, you can get PlatinumHD (used to be HD Ultimate) free for 3 months, which will give you UniversalHD for the span of the Olympics and more.

· Icon
710 Posts
So now I have to spend $10 extra to receive an NBC channels with COMMERCIALS? I guess I'll take the plunge until the $30 credit is exhausted. Just to see the Olympics.

Unless Charlie is being just greedy, NBC is being foolish here. Eyeball count is what sets the price for ad rates. If people cannot see Universal HD unless they pay, there will simply be fewer eyeballs. This should be a free channel in a lower tier!

Long term, I won't be paying extra for another commercial NBC channel. It used to be commercial free. If it goes back to that strategy.......I might.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,481 Posts
moman19 said:
Unless Charlie is being just greedy, NBC is being foolish here.
You can rest assured that NBC Universal would like to have all of their channels in the most basic tier. For whatever reason, both of the DBS players have chosen to separate it into an additional cost package.

I'm guessing this is primarily that even with ads, a full-time HD channel is still worth going after.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.