DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my current DVR audio running to my AV receiver RCA cables and HDMI to my TV so I don't have to run my av receiver all the time

if I upgrade to a Genie it doesn't look I can run it this way. How would I set it up so I don't have to run AV receiver all the time.

Thanks
Tim

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,409 Posts
If your AVR supports coaxial digital, that would be a much better option than RCA cables (you could get real digital surround sound rather than stereo or simulated surround).

If you AVR doesn't have such and input (or its input is being used by something else), there are under-$20 devices that will translate coaxial digital to optical.

Coaxial digital outputs appear on all modern DIRECTV set top boxes (even the lowly H25).

·
Icon
2,703 Posts
I have my current DVR audio running to my AV receiver RCA cables and HDMI to my TV so I don't have to run my av receiver all the time

if I upgrade to a Genie it doesn't look I can run it this way. How would I set it up so I don't have to run AV receiver all the time.

Thanks
Tim
How new is your TV? What sound capabilities does it (and your AVR) have? Many newer TV's support both eARC and have digital audio outputs. When I converted my system from a Genie/DVR based system to a Genie 2/mini client-based system, I began having problems when I ran my mini through my Denon AVR. Whenever I paused something, the TV would start showing "invalid format" whenever the screesaver "commercials" would appear. However, the worse problem is I would often have HDMI handshake problems when exiting the screensaver.

Rather than running my DirecTV equipment through my AVR to the TV (like I do with all my other equipment), I now run my mini client directly to the TV and use eARC between the TV and AVR for audio. If the AVR is turned off, the TV defaults to the internal speakers. If the AVR is turned on, the TV defaults to eARC.

If you don't have ARC/eARC available on your TV and/or AVR, you could possibly run a digital audio signal to your AVR. As Harsh mentioned, DirecTV boxes have a coax digital output. My TV has an optical digital output. Depending on your AVR, you could use either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts