DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mentor
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a market where we will be getting the HDUI in mid January - when I'm scheduled to be overseas.

In preparation for my trip (and NFL playoff games), I picked up a Vulkano Flow. It compares very nicely to the Slingbox, of which I was an early adopter.

Getting to the point, I'm not clear on what impacts I'll have when the HDUI gets installed. While the Flow isn't truly an HD device, it's not SD either. I get 16:9 content, but at a lower than true HD resolution. Currently I have it set to 720x480 but may drop that down to a lower resolution or let it auto-negotiate.

Currently, I'm using Composite from my HR24-500 to the Flow,* while HDMI feeds my HDTV.

Questions:

Do I lose my ability to see the guide/list in this configuration once the HDUI comes to town?

Should I switch to component before I leave?

Should I set my HR24's resolution to 480?

TIA

* For some reason the Flow insists I'm actually using Component, not sure why this is the case yet.

·
Premium Member
42,754 Posts
smithrh said:
I'm in a market where we will be getting the HDUI in mid January - when I'm scheduled to be overseas.

In preparation for my trip (and NFL playoff games), I picked up a Vulkano Flow. It compares very nicely to the Slingbox, of which I was an early adopter.

Getting to the point, I'm not clear on what impacts I'll have when the HDUI gets installed. While the Flow isn't truly an HD device, it's not SD either. I get 16:9 content, but at a lower than true HD resolution. Currently I have it set to 720x480 but may drop that down to a lower resolution or let it auto-negotiate.

Currently, I'm using Composite from my HR24-500 to the Flow,* while HDMI feeds my HDTV.

Questions:

Do I lose my ability to see the guide/list in this configuration once the HDUI comes to town?

Should I switch to component before I leave?

Should I set my HR24's resolution to 480?

TIA

* For some reason the Flow insists I'm actually using Component, not sure why this is the case yet.
yes

·
AllStar
106 Posts
I've got the Vulcano Flow connected to an HR-23 that does have the HDUI. I've got the Flow set to auto-negotiate and have had no issues when streaming either locally or remotely. I watched most of the Thanksgiving NFL games on my iPad remotely, no problems.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,251 Posts
smithrh said:
Thanks - I'll give that a whirl tomorrow. The manual for the Flow was pretty adamant about using Composite so that's the route I went.
That makes zero sense.

EDIT: And I was right:

CONNECT YOUR SET TOP BOX (STB) TO VULKANO
When connecting Vulkano to your STB (Satellite or Cable), you can either connect using Component or Composite video outputs located on the back of the STB. If your STB has both, use Component for better video quality. Connect the STB video and audio outputs to the video and audio inputs on the back of the Vulkano. Connect your Vulkano to your STB as shown in the Component or Composite diagram.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.