DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Mentor
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Are DTVs SDDVR remotes IR or RF?
2. Should the installer be using a certain type of RG6 connector, water proof?
3. From reading previous posts I see everything needs to be grounded. I have a grounding post ( solid copper pipe in ground) near the location the wires will enter the house, A. The grounding blocks should connect to the post correct? and B. Should there be a separate grounding wire from the dish to the grounding post? and C. What type and size wire should be used for grounding?
4. I am having and HDDVR installed, does an HDMI cable and networking wire come with it or do I need to provide it?
5. Is the SDDVR networkable?

Thanks for all the help this site has been a tremendous help the last couple of weeks!

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
kroche22 said:
1. Are DTVs SDDVR remotes IR or RF?
IR, but they are RF capable. You need to purchase a RF remote for it at direcTV

kroche22 said:
2. Should the installer be using a certain type of RG6 connector, water proof?
PPC EX6: http://www.prosatellitesupply.com/images/PPC_EX6_small.jpg

kroche22 said:
3. From reading previous posts I see everything needs to be grounded. I have a grounding post ( solid copper pipe in ground) near the location the wires will enter the house, A. The grounding blocks should connect to the post correct? and B. Should there be a separate grounding wire from the dish to the grounding post? and C. What type and size wire should be used for grounding?
I you case: 4 wires from dish to ground block. At least one should have #17 copper coated steel ground wire attached. Then #10 wire from ground block to ground location. 20ft maximum. Will be green wire.

kroche22 said:
4. I am having and HDDVR installed, does an HDMI cable and networking wire come with it or do I need to provide it?
HDMI yes, Network no. D* techs are not required to do any networking.

kroche22 said:
5. Is the SDDVR networkable?
Not at this point.

· Mentor
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll look into the remote.

One more thing, I know it is a hot topic sometimes but regarding the Service Plan. On a new install I should be covered for 90 days correct? I can order the service plan at month #2 and it will be in effect when the 90 days is over?

· Legend
243 Posts
1. Both IR and RF, you have the option to choose.
2. Installer will install correct connectors
3. Not sure on proper grounding, I've never had good luck with installers grounding my system.
4. My HR21's came full retail, with every cable immaginable. I believe as of late they come with just the receiver and BBC's and the installer provides you with the cables that you need, so make sure the installer gives you the network cable and HDMI.
5. Not sure on this one

· Icon
749 Posts
idigg said:
1. Both IR and RF, you have the option to choose.
2. Installer will install correct connectors
3. Not sure on proper grounding, I've never had good luck with installers grounding my system.
4. My HR21's came full retail, with every cable immaginable. I believe as of late they come with just the receiver and BBC's and the installer provides you with the cables that you need, so make sure the installer gives you the network cable and HDMI.
5. Not sure on this one
IRD's do not come with network cable. 98% of the IRD's now ship without cables in the HSP network.

· Dry as a bone
12,321 Posts
kroche22 said:
One more thing, I know it is a hot topic sometimes but regarding the Service Plan. On a new install I should be covered for 90 days correct? I can order the service plan at month #2 and it will be in effect when the 90 days is over?
Correct. It goes into effect after 30 days, so as long as you order it within the first 60 days, you're all set.

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
fusion04 said:
The remote control that came with my HR21-700 is RF-capable. In fact, it is currently being used in RF mode.
Yes, but the OP was asking about the SD-DVRs, which come with an IR remote. The RF remote is a user-chosen upgrade and must be ordered from DirecTV (available on the website).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.