DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gotten so much great information from a lot of people here at dbstalk that I figured I would also try to get some info on my latest toy, the Harmony 880.

Just got my 880 for my birthday yesterday. Loving it so far.

I am a complete newbie when it comes to these types of remotes but consider myself to be advanced when it comes to PC knowledge.

I was unable to get the desktop software loaded on my XP desktop. Everytime I install it at the very end when it tries to launch it gives off a Java error. Fatal Exception Executing JVM Runtime: Exception or Error thrown from Java

I then installed it on my W2K laptop and it installed but when I try to use the Web interface to make changes, add devices, and activities it is defaulting back to using the desktop software for updating the remote. I want to be able to use the web interface for everything.

Also I wanted to add a custom logo that I found online, just to try it out, and it went through the entire process of adding everything again where I was expecting it to just quickly add the logo. Is that correct.

Is the desktop software needed at all? Because it seems to be interfering with the operations of transfering data to the remote.

Hope my explaination here is correct. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
561 Posts
Yes, the web interface will always launch the desktop application. I think the software program is a bit clunky. Check the logitech site to make sure you have the latest version of the desktop app. I was having all kinds of problems with my desktop app but then realized I had an older version of the software.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I installed the latest one that can be found at the support link and still i am getting this Java Runtime error. I have alsso update Java to the latest version as suggested by Logitech Support.

No help on either one.

redfiver said:
Yes, the web interface will always launch the desktop application. I think the software program is a bit clunky. Check the logitech site to make sure you have the latest version of the desktop app. I was having all kinds of problems with my desktop app but then realized I had an older version of the software.

·
Super Moderator
10,084 Posts
Mixer said:
I installed the latest one that can be found at the support link and still i am getting this Java Runtime error. I have also update Java to the latest version as suggested by Logitech Support.

No help on either one.
Did you uninstall the previous Harmony software before updating? I was told to do this before installing the new software version.

The newer version works alot nicer than the HTML web-page version. I just wish they would design the GUI to support multiple Harmony remotes. I have more than one and I have to have separate logins to tweak them.

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,880 Posts
Hmmm.. Need to do some more tweaking on my 880s over the holiday.. Will have to check out this app.

Definitely a desktop app is a better solution here than a web interface and glad to see they are going this way.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I did was Installed Version 7 from website. Didn't work
Uninstalled Version 7
Installed CD (Version 4.4) Didn't work
Installed Version 7 (which removed 4.4) that support guy pointed me to. Didn't work
Did an XP restore.
Installed version 7 from support guy. No luck.

Maybe I will do another XP restore. Then install 4.4 again then install 7 again.

Unless anyone has an idea that would save me time.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I knoew I could count on this forum. I am able to do all of the tasks I need to do on my W2K laptop but the desktop with XP is just easier for me and obviuosly would like to be able to do it from either one.

I also wish that each time you made a slight change it didn't have to redo all of the previous settings. They should write software that can detect only the changes you made for that sesssion.

Other than that this thing is great.

Jason Nipp said:
Did you uninstall the previous Harmony software before updating? I was told to do this before installing the new software version.

The newer version works alot nicer than the HTML web-page version. I just wish they would design the GUI to support multiple Harmony remotes. I have more than one and I have to have separate logins to tweak them.

·
Child of the 60's
3,127 Posts
You might want to check out our sister site, AVSForum.com. They have a whole section for remotes, one devoted just to Harmony's. I've also got an 880 and found the Forum to be a great source of information.

John

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I took it back to my knowledge of Desktop Operating Systems and thought "what would I do if I were troubleshooting any software?" I have already installed re-installed and restored XP. Same results. So now I will take it to the profile level. I have a seperate login on my XP desktop which she never uses. I figure that is a fresh profile let me try that. Sure enough it works the Harmony Desktop software fully loads. Now I just have to dig deep into my main profile to see what settings are causing the software to error out. I don't think it is an access issue given what I found by logging in with another profile. So for now I will use that other profile to switch over to when i need to make Harmony changes.

Updates from that PC only took 3-5 minutes so my other issue of slow updates must have been because my laptop was upstairs and on Wireless.

Good news is the thing is now working the way it should I am loving it even more now.

Thanks to all for the responses.

JM Anthony....I have been over there. Great forum that AVSforum is.

Jason Nipp said:
Do you have the logitech members website whitelisted in your security, activex, and firewall settings?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.