DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Cool Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current system consists of 2 Hughes SD-DVR40, one HR20, wireless internet adapter connected to a wireless DSL router, a basic multiswitch, and a slimline 3 LNB dish without SWM. One of my SD-DVR40s has died and the HR20 needs to be rebooted about once a week, so I am looking for recommendations for the best (low cost or no cost) upgrade path. Is a whole house system with Hr34, two HR24s, DECAs, and a SWM multiswitch the way to go or is there a better solution.

Thanks,
jmak

· 1*
9,917 Posts
"jmak" said:
My current system consists of 2 Hughes SD-DVR40, one HR20, wireless internet adapter connected to a wireless DSL router, a basic multiswitch, and a slimline 3 LNB dish without SWM. One of my SD-DVR40s has died and the HR20 needs to be rebooted about once a week, so I am looking for recommendations for the best (low cost or no cost) upgrade path. Is a whole house system with Hr34, two HR24s, DECAs, and a SWM multiswitch the way to go or is there a better solution.

Thanks,
jmak
Your best bet would be to call and ask. If you upgrade to Whole Home, you will get a SWM install. You could have the HR20 replaced if it is deemed defective. The SD-DVRs would have to be replaced with HD-DVRs and that would entail a possible cost to you and an additional 2 year commitment. You could try to see if they will upgrade you to a HR34 in the process. As for guaranteeing a HR24, that cannot be done, however, if a tech is coming out to do the install you might be able to see if they can come out with a HR24 for you.

Typically, a Whole Home upgrade is $199 plus $50 for the tech visit. The HR34 is supposed to be $399. However, depending on your account status, these costs can be discounted (sometimes significantly).

- Merg

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
all HDDVRs are equivalent, with the exception of the HR20 which does not do 3D. the HR20 AND HR21 both have a 320 GB HDD. while the other ones have a 500 gig HDD. the HR24 has a "speedier" processor

· Cool Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just called and am getting a HR34, the two SD Tivo DVRs upgraded to HR2X DVRs, and Whole Home service with installation for $266. They also threw in $10 off for 12 months. The initial conversation had me paying over $700 but the CSR kept adding credits until it got to something I thought was reasonable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.