DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Legend
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The HS17 route might actually be your only option. No matter which route you try really press the matter that you have the protection plan and only need the box that is not working replaced so if you have to upgrade it should be free for whatever you do. They may disagree but if you push for it you may get it all free. Just point out you are being forced into an upgrade because they won't replace the bad one with another like model (HR-24). Good luck and let us know how it goes.
If I have all four receivers replaced, am I looking at any charges? Or, as you mentioned above, will it all be replaced for free?

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
Well I would try to convince them to do it for free. Whether they will agree to it is anyone's guess. Just point out you are doing the upgrade because they won't replace the defective unit.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,871 Posts
Any other options, such as purchasing a HR24 from say SolidSignal.com? How would activation work if I go this route?
Solid Signal cannot "sell" you an HR24. For your $224.99, they can send you a "leased" DVR and you're substantially on your own to activate it. Solid Signal offers a 30 day return policy (typically with a restock fee).

Only DIRECTV can tell you how they will treat you and this workaround may not be part of the script.

·
Premium Member
4,035 Posts
The HS17 route might actually be your only option. No matter which route you try really press the matter that you have the protection plan and only need the box that is not working replaced so if you have to upgrade it should be free for whatever you do. They may disagree but if you push for it you may get it all free. Just point out you are being forced into an upgrade because they won't replace the bad one with another like model (HR-24). Good luck and let us know how it goes.
the r22 is NOT a Like for like swap --so that's why the 2 yr commit

·
Premium Member
4,035 Posts
That's pretty much how the phone call went with customer service (not Retention). The service rep spent 20 minutes in her system setting-up a replacement and then at the very end said, "Oh, by the way, this is a new system and you will need to sign a 24-month contract..."

That's when I canceled and ended the phone call to do more research here.

I think where I'm at is what to do with the OTA. If I go the HR54 route, my OTA will still function, but I rarely use it. I am leaning towards a complete rip/replace and just go with the HS17 and plug my OTA directly into my TV and not worry about any DVR capabilities with OTA.
I would suggest Calling Solid signal (THEY CAN WORK ON YOUR ACCOUNT) if it is still on D*TV Account.
I have use them in the past and it went well - You have been a D&TV customer for YEARS as based on your current setup --Why would 2 years make it a deal breaker --it's not like you are planning on going anywhere.

·
Premium Member
36,628 Posts
If I have all four receivers replaced, am I looking at any charges? Or, as you mentioned above, will it all be replaced for free?
If you have the PP, you should be eligible for an upgrade. I'm thinking about giving up on the HRs and taking an HS 17 package. The 17s have an internal HDD, and if I can get one that has a SATA port on it, I might take it. I've had enough of D*'s HDD-driven DVRs. I have a few SSDs that I can mount on a 17 if I get the right one.

I tried to get a 54 a couple of months ago, but the installer didn't have any with the SATA port, so I gave up. If I can't find a 17 with a SATA port, I think I might try the ATT streaming app. In any event, I think it's time to move away from the 24s.

The 17's have been around for a while, and from what I've read, they seem to be dependable. Even though I have SSDs on all my 24s, I still can't fix some of the problems that keep popping up. Something new might be a breath of fresh air...or another nightmare.

Rich

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,871 Posts
I would suggest Calling Solid signal (THEY CAN WORK ON YOUR ACCOUNT) if it is still on D*TV Account.
Anecdotal evidence from other DIRECTV partners (i.e. Claude) suggests that this may not be the case.

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
the r22 is NOT a Like for like swap --so that's why the 2 yr commit
Yes but it isn't his fault that AT&T doesn't have a like for like swap and he shouldn't be punished because of it. Though I agree with your later post that the 2 year commit isn't a big deal unless you are planning on leaving.

·
Premium Member
4,035 Posts
Yes but it isn't his fault that AT&T doesn't have a like for like swap and he shouldn't be punished because of it. Though I agree with your later post that the 2 year commit isn't a big deal unless you are planning on leaving.
Did I miss that his account was AT&T? if so then his only option is a HS-17

·
Premium Member
25,249 Posts
I’ll suggest looking at this from a different angle. Let’s find out how the system he has know is currently used first…

How many people in the house?

How full is each DVR with different recordings?

How many series do you have set to record on all the DVRs combined?

Do you always leave the playlist set to all so you can see every recording from every DVR everywhere?

How many TVs do you have that are 4K?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,871 Posts
I’ll suggest looking at this from a different angle. Let’s find out how the system he has know is currently used first…
It doesn't appear to have been established whether the TS is an AT&T customer or not (a critical criterion pointed out by WestDC). If they are, it may not matter what their needs or wants are as AT&T appears to have only one solution to every residential setting.

If they are a DIRECTV customer, options may exist and it would then be worth having that discussion.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,871 Posts
How he watches tv absolutely matters no matter what.
In the case of an AT&T account, it only determines the number and types of Genie Minis deployed. If they can't assemble a configuration that matches up with your viewing requirements (such as OTA or more timers) your only other option appears to be closing your account.

Do you see more options than that?

·
Icon
1,626 Posts
Not sure where you guys got the "if att you can only get a Hs17 and minis" this isn't true at all. Even if he is on att system they will send a dtv tech out to do the work and they can install either genie or genie 2 based on what customer qualifies for or pays for. The HR24 is EOL it will not be part of dtv equipment that is installed. If a replacement is needed you may possibly get one if its on hand but if not you'll get a mini as a replacement.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts