#1 ·
I have a very old system that consists of the following:

HR24-200
Basement

HR24-500
Family Rm

R22-100
Guest Bed

XTV (R22-100 but no idea why they call it this online)
Master Bed

At any rate, the XTV (R22) is starting to go bad, requiring a reset every 24 hours to function properly.

I also am one of the rare beta testers that have pure Ethernet connecting all of these receivers ($3/month). And I do not want to lose this functionality.

When I called-up AT&T, they wanted to upgrade me to the Genie system, but I decided to cancel until I learned more from this forum. I do have the Directv protection program.

I am curious what you all would recommend for an analogous upgrade, while enabling ethernet/sharing amongst all of my receivers (no wireless options and 4K not needed at this time).

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Depending on how much recording you do but if not a large amount...in this day and age I'd recommend the Genie 2 and 4 clients. Just would need ethernet to the Genie 2 and don't let them do wireless clients from the Genie 2.

#5 ·
IF your ACCOUNT was moved to AT&T -then you will only get as HS17 and Mini's --Check by calling 1-800-531-5000 and ask your question --if you have not done that already --If your account is with D*TV you can get a HR54 and replace your old r22 tuners receiver with HR24.

You will need to convert to swim SYSTEM as well --no matter Who has your account, losing how your connected receivers are on your lan today --THAT HAS LONG BEEN OVER --they will connect over the rg6 thru the genie to get whole home and internet function

And if your dish cannot be reached by a ladder only --they your D*TV days are over

#6 ·
What are you trying to accomplish with this upgrade? You can connect everything using ethernet even with Genie/clients, using DECAs at the clients to convert from ethernet to coax.

If you're just looking for a SWM upgrade that's pretty simple but if everything is working, why bother?

#7 ·
You bring up valid points. Everything is working except for the XTV (R22) in the Master Bedroom. It requires a reset every 24 hours.

I'm torn between upgrading to the aforementioned HR54 that @WestDC recommends and performing a wholesale rip/replace that @b4pjoe recommends.

I wish there were a spreadsheet somewhere listing the pros/cons of the HR54 and the HS17. That would help a lot.

#8 ·
Spreadsheets are a horribly inefficient way of delivering textual (or any other type for that matter) data.

The effective differences are pretty simple:
  • The HR54 supports only one 4K session at a time (and that session is delivered uniquely by a 4K Genie Mini rather than the HR54 itself)
  • The HR54 doesn't demand that you give up all of your existing equipment
  • The HS17 supports two 4K sessions and every DIRECTV-served TV in the house must have a Mini (all existing receivers are effectively useless)
  • The HS17 doesn't support OTA
Note that using a Genie Mini with a pre-HDMI TV (if any are in play) can be inelegant depending on the TV since the Minis feature only an HDMI output. Adapters are available to drive composite and component connections.

Amazon apparently no longer offers a 10 pin S-Video cable.

#12 ·
According to a user still on DirecTV account in another thread today they will longer send out an HR-24 as a replacement. If true I doubt they will send anyone an HR54 either.
I'm not convinced that this logically follows. I suspect that it is more likely that they're out of stock on refurbished HR24s. CSRs sometimes go off script to reduce call duration.

On the other hand, refurbishing them may not all that wise given that the newest models were manufactured perhaps 7 years or more ago and we're talking about a device that ran 24/7/365 for most all of its life and has been subjected to who knows what in terms of environment.

Does anyone have a non-Genie class receiver/DVR that was manufactured after 2013?

#17 ·
Activation of any older equipment is difficult to impossible. The problem is you can call and ask but there is a real good chance the info they give you is not accurate. Your best bet is to call or chat and tell them the box is not working and that you don't want the Genie system. You have the protection plan so tell them you just want the R22 replaced per the protection plan agreement and see what they say.

#19 ·
That's pretty much how the phone call went with customer service (not Retention). The service rep spent 20 minutes in her system setting-up a replacement and then at the very end said, "Oh, by the way, this is a new system and you will need to sign a 24-month contract..."

That's when I canceled and ended the phone call to do more research here.

I think where I'm at is what to do with the OTA. If I go the HR54 route, my OTA will still function, but I rarely use it. I am leaning towards a complete rip/replace and just go with the HS17 and plug my OTA directly into my TV and not worry about any DVR capabilities with OTA.

#20 ·
The HS17 route might actually be your only option. No matter which route you try really press the matter that you have the protection plan and only need the box that is not working replaced so if you have to upgrade it should be free for whatever you do. They may disagree but if you push for it you may get it all free. Just point out you are being forced into an upgrade because they won't replace the bad one with another like model (HR-24). Good luck and let us know how it goes.

#32 ·
I’ll suggest looking at this from a different angle. Let’s find out how the system he has know is currently used first…

How many people in the house?

How full is each DVR with different recordings?

How many series do you have set to record on all the DVRs combined?

Do you always leave the playlist set to all so you can see every recording from every DVR everywhere?

How many TVs do you have that are 4K?

#33 ·
I’ll suggest looking at this from a different angle. Let’s find out how the system he has know is currently used first…
It doesn't appear to have been established whether the TS is an AT&T customer or not (a critical criterion pointed out by WestDC). If they are, it may not matter what their needs or wants are as AT&T appears to have only one solution to every residential setting.

If they are a DIRECTV customer, options may exist and it would then be worth having that discussion.

#35 ·
In the case of an AT&T account, it only determines the number and types of Genie Minis deployed. If they can't assemble a configuration that matches up with your viewing requirements (such as OTA or more timers) your only other option appears to be closing your account.

Do you see more options than that?

#36 ·
Not sure where you guys got the "if att you can only get a Hs17 and minis" this isn't true at all. Even if he is on att system they will send a dtv tech out to do the work and they can install either genie or genie 2 based on what customer qualifies for or pays for. The HR24 is EOL it will not be part of dtv equipment that is installed. If a replacement is needed you may possibly get one if its on hand but if not you'll get a mini as a replacement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.