DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame/Supporter
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently using an EchoStar 3900 unit for my Dish500 setup. I'm really interested in getting a DishPVR 501 and I'm trying to find my best option to do so.

I recently emailed Superior Satellite Services (supersat1.com -- note that I have no affiliation with them -- someone hear mentioned them for deals actually) and asked what my options were. I told them that I wanted to stay with my Top-50 channels to keep it under $25 per month.

They told me that if I was a new subscriber (just for my information, of course, since I'm not... ;) ) that they could set me up with the DishPVR 501 system for $29 + $25 shipping -- and I could stick with Top-50 and would have to commit only to a 12-month contract of that.

I was quite surprised by this -- I didn't think I could pull off a DishPVR 501 setup for that cost -- especially only having to lock into a 12-month contract for their low-end plan.

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions on this? Seems reasonable -- or is someone telling me something incorrect? I even emailed back to confirm that I would get the DishPVR 501, that my total fees up front would be only $29+$25 -- and that I'd only be paying the $22.99 per month for Top-50 -- and that after a year I wouldn't be locked into anything at all.

I just want to make sure that all sounds reasonable before going through the trouble of being a new subscriber and all...

Thanks for any hints/tips/warnings!

- John...

·
Legend
143 Posts
The only deal that I know of is the one from dish for $199 Top 150 for 12 months. I think dish depot had a deal for $99 for new subs. That deal does not sound right. Post a link to where you got the info, and we can look into it.

·
Hall Of Fame/Supporter
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, as I said, I emailed them (their supersat1.com site does not mention this deal). He wrote back and informed me of what I said above.

Specifically, he said: "IT WILL COST YOU THE $29. PLUS $25 SHIPPING. I KNOCKED OFF $10 FOR SHIPPING BECAUSE YOU WILL NOT NEED THE INSTALL KIT. YOU WILL HAVE TO SIGN A 1 YEAR AGREEMENT UNDER THE FREE DISH PROMO AND IT WILL COST $22.99 FOR THE TOP 50. I WILL NEED A CREDIT CARD ON FILE FOR DISH. LET ME KNOW AND I WILL GET THE BALL ROLLING."

To which I replied: "And that will include the DishPVR 501 system, correct? So my total would be the $29 plus $25 shipping to you -- and then I agree to a 1-year contract with Dish at $22.99 for the Top-50 package, correct? I would not have any other fees above that -- and I do not have to go with anything more than the Top-50 package, correct?"

To which he replied: "all that is correct."

So -- odd. Now, he did mention the "free dish promo". Looking at their site, the "free dish promo" says "Free Satellite TV system; 50 channels, only $22.99 per month". It says to agree to a 1-year contract (even at the $22.99 Top-50 plan) and get a "$199 value" system plus free "$199 value" installation. I'm not sure if he is somehow getting the PVR501 system into that for me.

I'm not needing the install -- so I wonder if he might be pulling tricks like billing Dish for the install or something to get some cash back for himself -- and therefore is willing to do a deal for me on the PVR501 maybe?

I just don't know... But, I'm thinking about giving it a go. I can always complain later if they screw it up -- and refuse payment on the card or something if I have to and don't get what was promised. For $54 for a PVR501, I'm thinking that it is worth the risk... :)

- John...

·
Hall Of Fame/Supporter
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My wife is the new subscriber. On her own phone line.

And, regardless, I'm still interested just the same. I have non-Dish friends that I think would certainly be interested if it really can be done that cheap.

- John...

G

·
You should wait until the PVR721 (coming April/May). I have a PVR501 while it is great I am returning it and waiting for the 721 which has a bigger hard drive 110 gigs and two turners which means you can record one show and watch another while on the 501 you can not do that which is pretty lame because my 8 year old VCR can do that.

·
Hall Of Fame/Supporter
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well -- I just called the Dish number (the 800-333-DISH) and told them what was up. Well, close -- I just said that I was a new customer -- which is how the reseller was doing it.

In any case, I told them what he was offering (the "free dish" promo, but with the PVR501 instead for an extra $29 plus shipping) -- and she put me on hold for a LONG time. When she came back, she said that she could not find a promo involving any "$29" special, but that it certainly seemed like a good deal. She told me to go ahead and go with it -- and to just make sure that he properly signs me up for the "free dish" promo so that I get the $22.99 rate since all of the other promos require a higher priced plan.

She told me that, from Dish, I could do the "free dish" promo and upgrade to the PVR501 directly from them for $148.99.

- John...

·
Hall Of Fame
5,046 Posts
Let us know the details when you decide what your going with, this might help someone else as well.
Give us the detail after you get the 501. :)

·
Legend
143 Posts
Well here's the promo link: supersat1 promo

If you can get away with it go for it, but I think dish will not allow it. Who know's maybe they will. Your wife should be considered a new sub. Your name is on the bill not her's right.

I have thought about doing this in the past, but I was told that because living in the same household it would not work. well I'm currious let us know how you make out. :cool:

·
Hall Of Fame/Supporter
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, people asked me to say how this went... So here it is!

We decided to go with that deal that we were being offered. I gave my wife's info to them via email along with a credit card number and he said he'd start things going. Remember that he told me that it would be $29 plus $25 shipping. Well, after she placed the order, he emailed and asked if we already had a Dish500 dish to connect it to because he could save on shipping if we did (he must have forgot that I already told him that and that was why he took $10 off the original $35 shipping price). In any case, she wrote back and said that we already had a Dish500 to use, yes.

That was Monday, I believe. Today, a package arrived! It was a DishPVR501 system! And my receipt and credit card charge show that she was charged $29 and NO shipping! Just $29 total! Crazy!

I just hooked it all up and called for her (she has near laryngitis today, unfortunately, and I couldn't wait to have her call, so I just went for it and told them that we do all the bills in my wife's name -- they said no problem). 5 minutes later and we're up and running! Woohoo!

At first, I forgot the put in the zip code -- so, when activate, the zip code was still at 00000. I assume that is why the time was like 5 hours off. :) Anyway, I put in the right zip code and it didn't seem to correct anything right away. So, I turned the unit off for about 10 minutes -- when I turned it back on, all of the times were correct and it had been upgraded for 138 to 153! Ah! Beautiful!

So -- so far -- everything seems fine. I had to commit to a 12 month contract -- but I could choose any program -- and we just wanted the Top-50, so that was good. Dish says that their local validation thing is down tonight, so we could qualify for any distant locals -- they told me to call tomorrow.

The ONLY thing that is odd is that the box has a "refurbished product" sticker on it from Dish. I don't really mind that much as long as the warranty is still 1 year and valid. It appears to be from what I see.

One last thing... My unit has a Maxtor drive in it. I heard someone else say that the PVR501s have Seagates in them. Is that true normally? Or do they vary? Or is it related to it being refurbished by chance? Just curious if it means anything...

In any case, just wanted to pass along how it went! So far, so good!

- John...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.