DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got installed this weekend. I have a shiny new VIP722 hooked up to my 42"LCD as well as my room mates standard def television. I managed to misinterpret what the 722 would do and need some info.

I *thought* I would be able to watch something live while recording (both on TV 1) while my room mate watched something live (on TV 2). We discovered to his chagrin that this is not the case and he got to watch Battlestar Galactica while I whooped it up with friends while watching some football in the living room.

After reading the manual and checking stuff online I can see that if I want to be able to do what I want with the 722 that my room mate is SOL for watching what he wants. Now, to my question...

What should I expect to happen when I call E* up and ask for a normal SD box for my room mate? Will they charge me for it? Is there an additional monthly fee? Will I even be able to split the coaxial cable before it gets to the 722 without it effecting anything?

I have two dishes, one of them being a '500' and only the one line coming into the house (that I can see).

So far I think everything is great. I ordered the Turbo Gold but it looks like I am just shy of the America's Top 250 with all the SD I am getting as well, but I won't tell if you won't :)

· Hall Of Fame
1,286 Posts
There will be a charge for installation of the additional receiver. You will also see a $5.00 increase in your bill. Any other charges would be related to what type of receiver you got. For example if you get a second dvr or a dual tuner, that sort of thing. Tell me exactly what you'd want in there, and I can detail what you'd see in additional monthly charges. Up front cost varies.

· Hall Of Fame
3,182 Posts
You can have the 722 do what you want if you put OTA into the equation. It is joined with tv1 output when in dual mode but you either have to watch OTA while recording from sat or watch sat while recording OTA, tv2 would only have a sat tuner (at least until the new 722 comes along.
You can get an sd receiver, but you would need a coax run from your dish/switch depending on your setup, you would probably have to buy it since Dish usually only gives one lease upgrade per 12 month period. You would also pay an additional receiver fee of $5 per month ($7 if an HD Vip receiver). An sd receiver would get the same programing you currently have except for HD channels. An HD Vip receiver would give you the same lineup as your 722 currently has.

· Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
puckwithahalo said:
There will be a charge for installation of the additional receiver. You will also see a $5.00 increase in your bill. Any other charges would be related to what type of receiver you got. For example if you get a second dvr or a dual tuner, that sort of thing. Tell me exactly what you'd want in there, and I can detail what you'd see in additional monthly charges. Up front cost varies.
I am thinking just a standard SD receiver. No DVR, nothing like that.

So I would be looking at an upfront cost as well as an additional monthly fee of $5. Sounds fair for me being a dummy :)

· Hall Of Fame
1,286 Posts
Oops, I just noticed the turbo hd. you'll have to have a vip 211 in that case. $7.00 more per month rather than $5.00, Not sure what the up front charge will be though.

· Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
puckwithahalo said:
Oops, I just noticed the turbo hd. you'll have to have a vip 211 in that case. $7.00 more per month rather than $5.00, Not sure what the up front charge will be though.
Why would I need a VIP 211? He has an SD television. I'm confused now... We are getting a ton of SD channels so I would expect that a normal SD reciever would work.

· Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
puckwithahalo said:
If he has a turbo account, it can only have mpeg4 receivers on it.
Even with over half the channels being SD? That seems pretty stupid. I emailed them and hopefully will get a complete answer. If people like I will post what they tell me.

Thanks for the help so far folks.

· Hall Of Fame
1,286 Posts
Even with over half the channels being SD? That seems pretty stupid. I emailed them and hopefully will get a complete answer. If people like I will post what they tell me.

Thanks for the help so far folks.
Turbo HD accounts can only ever have mpeg4 receivers as eventually all channels will be going mpeg4, even sd ones. That's just the rule.

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
Bizket said:
Hmmm... That makes sense but I still think it's dumb :)
Not sure what's dumb about it... Today the only way to be TurboHD standalone is with the HD package that has all MPEG4 anyway. Near future has some "Eastern Arc" customers getting SD and HD in MPEG4.. so anyone in that situation needs all MPEG receivers.

Going forward, they'd want to not continue giving out any more MPEG2 receivers than is absolutely necessary so that one day in a few years maybe they can cut more over to MPEG4.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,487 Posts
The secret to success is to learn to record stuff to watch in advance. Once you get that down, you can usually make everything work.

Monday is difficult no matter how you stack it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.